Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty wordy, at least the first half, but here's some relevant bits.

--------------------------------------

-Quote-

• Constant speed (such as using cruise control)
  • Flat ground, no wind
  • Climate control OFF or using vent only (no heat or air conditioning)
  • 300 lbs of vehicle load (driver plus passenger or cargo)
  • Windows up, sunroof closed
  • Tires inflated to recommended pressures
  • New battery pack (<1 year, <25,000 miles)
graph1.jpg

If you are driving slowly for a very long time and operating climate control continually it will have the largest percentage impact on your range. In very hot or cold operating conditions with typical usage of climate control and driving at speeds around 55 mph you may see a 10-15% reduction in range.

When the Tesla Roadster was certified, the EPA only used a 2-cycle test that was carried out under conditions of 75 degrees Fahrenheit ambient temperature and with varying acceleration rates and driving speeds for both city and highway tests topping out at 60 mph. Recently, the EPA incorporated three additional cycles into their tests that push vehicles to greater limits. The additional cycles added as part of the new “5-cycle test” include a cold driving cycle that requires heater use, a hot weather cycle with air conditioning operation, and a high-speed cycle (reaching 80mph) with rapid accelerations.

We are very pleased to report that Model S has exceeded our initial range expectations by about 20 miles and has achieved a Roadster equivalent 2-cycle range of 320 miles and a 5-cycle range of 265 miles. This sets a new record for electric vehicle range!

/Quote
-------------------------------------

In Texas, people run the a/c constantly 6 months a year. It basically never shuts off from like late April through early OctoBer. Same would apply for the heat for the other 6 months on the other side of the country.

Aerodynamics/wind drag seems an important part in their efficiency but I didn't notice anything saying how much you lose cruising with the windows down. I ride like that in all but the hottest and coldest times. Don't like feeling cooped up.

Even with all that though it seems you could hit 200 miles at least some parts of the year, more if you trade some comfort for efficiency (which most people aren't gonna do). Pretty good for an electric car considering its a normal size car and not a beer can on wheels. May not be a gasoline replacement just yet but it's coming.

Any of you guys know how an electrics "mileage" fluctuates, like mpg does flat highway vs. clogged traffic vs. climbing hills or carrying loads? If that 315 could stay at 200 or better under hard conditions it could actually work.

Would any sort of portable solar charger even be able to make a dent in it? Wouldn't be much but maybe the electric equivalent of carrying a spare little gas can in your trunk for emergencies.
Even if you put a 100W solar panel on the roof of the car, which can probably generate 25W average due to weather and night, it'll take 100 days to charge a 60kWh battery pack.

Went to the Audi dealer today to actually get the proper muffler clamp for the wagon.

They had an all-electric A3 e-tron in the service bay. Dealership owner owns it. It's a test mule that was never sold to the public.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Chaps wearing chaps, Nukes?
True story:
My uncle opened a jazz club in the early 70s. It was a resounding failure.
He tried everything- dance club, dinner theater, rock.
One day a few gentlemen in the "leather crowd" approached Uncle Paul...
"How do you feel about men in assless chaps slow dancing and making out to torch singer records?"
He paused...
"Do they drink like fish? I wanna sell fucking booze!!!!"
The Rifleman was born that day.

Me and my cousins didn't hang out there.
Much.

True story:
My uncle opened a jazz club in the early 70s. It was a resounding failure.
He tried everything- dance club, dinner theater, rock.
One day a few gentlemen in the "leather crowd" approached Uncle Paul...
"How do you feel about men in assless chaps slow dancing and making out to torch singer records?"
He paused...
"Do they drink like fish? I wanna sell fucking booze!!!!"
The Rifleman was born that day.

Me and my cousins didn't hang out there.
Much.

So the Nukes family opened the first publicly traded gay night club?
Now that's progressive.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and nukes
Pimp outfit and the caddy then. The world needs more pimp car meetups.
Funny thing, one of the guys who came on the cruise is interested in starting a "patina" car club. The Cadillac's got patina out the wazoo, in that it's mostly rust, with a little paint holding the flakes together.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Speaking of rust, I'm fixing up the GTI. $400 CAD worth of mechanical work and $500 to get the rocker panels done and a hole patched in the floor and I'll be back on the road for 2 more years at least.

I tried selling the car on a local VW enthusiast group, but the only offers I got were $500 and a trade for a 92 integra GSR that was in worse shape. Fuck it, if the car's not worth selling, I'm keeping it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum and adi
I started welding on a trailer upgrade.
Got the settings dialed in well for Fluxcore, but it still looks like shit (because Fluxcore), I know I got good penetration, though.

Gonna be interesting when its done

Status
Not open for further replies.