Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think so. Small shop and the staff have all been there forever :)

Long and McQuade, canada's "medium box" guitar store here, is perpetually hiring. I know several musicians who have worked there, it's a 'pay the bills' job plus discounts on instruments/supplies.
I bought a bass from one of their stores, i'm sure it must be a decent job..

God damn. I don't know why I even go to my local hardware stores anymore. Went looking for Engineer's Blue today and none of the hardware places had any. If Fastenal doesn't tomorrow I'll have to just order some from Amazon.

WTF.
Fastenal didn't even know what it was. After explaining, didn't even have it. After realizing the counter-monkey thought I said "Engineer's Glue" we started over.

5 day lead time.

Ugh

@gee, @Mr. Asa, you guys know any way to repair plastic standoffs?

I have a number of panels in the Z that have plastic standoffs that have broken off, either as a result of age or abuse or both. I need to repair at least two of them, as the panels the standoffs attach to are basically unobtainable now.

I don't want to "3D print" anything for this, is there a reasonable way to rebuild the standoffs with some kind of shapeable plastic that I can apply from a tube or something?

@gee, @Mr. Asa, you guys know any way to repair plastic standoffs?

I have a number of panels in the Z that have plastic standoffs that have broken off, either as a result of age or abuse or both. I need to repair at least two of them, as the panels the standoffs attach to are basically unobtainable now.

I don't want to "3D print" anything for this, is there a reasonable way to rebuild the standoffs with some kind of shapeable plastic that I can apply from a tube or something?
Most plastic in cars is ABS. If so, make some ABS goop with some old ABS (Lego is ABS) and acetone. Apply with whatever popsicle stick you have nearby, give it a day or two to fully cure.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and Jehannum
Tracked down the last of the electrical issues. The blower was stuck on high. Turns out the blower resistor was grounding itself out through the expansion valve. I moved the expansion valve, and now I have fan speeds again.

Just waiting on my tuner to tell me which ECU he'd prefer to run in the Z, then I'll buy it and go.

I'm just about done with the dash dildo™, after measuring the old clock and ears and rear clearance.

dildo.png

Looks good. I really want to put a round chamfer on the outer edge of the top surface there - I guess if you recess that edge into the dash it won't be a problem, but if the hard edge sticks out, it might look wrong.

Also, ask whoever prints it to rotate it on the build platform by whatever angle you set for the top, so that the top prints completely horizontal, this way you'll get a flat surface without any "shingling", but the bottom will have to be supported at an angle (which is fine). Or you could print it face down, if they're printing on glass this will give you a shiny front.

Also, get it printed out of ABS, PETG or some other high temperature material, don't use PLA.

Looks good. I really want to put a round chamfer on the outer edge of the top surface there - I guess if you recess that edge into the dash it won't be a problem, but if the hard edge sticks out, it might look wrong.

The edge will be totally concealed:

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

Also, ask whoever prints it to rotate it on the build platform by whatever angle you set for the top, so that the top prints completely horizontal, this way you'll get a flat surface without any "shingling", but the bottom will have to be supported at an angle (which is fine). Or you could print it face down, if they're printing on glass this will give you a shiny front.

Also, get it printed out of ABS, PETG or some other high temperature material, don't use PLA.

Good idea. I'll talk to the guy and get it done that way.

Question for you: are there 3D printers that live on the network and spool from multiple computers?

Question for you: are there 3D printers that live on the network and spool from multiple computers?
Yep. Our Ultimaker 3 at work does that.

You can also do it with pretty much any 3D printer using an Octoprint server - I've got "OctoPi" on a RPi running my printer over the network, and with a webcam watching the print area of my printer.

Just got four used Nexen CP672's for the Audi, $200 CAD, from a guy off kijiji. 235/45/17 size, 8/32" tread left out of 10/32". Score.

FUCKS SAKE GEE YOU SUCK WHYD YOU BUY THOSE POS KOREAN TIRES UR SUPPOSED TO BY NITTOS AND HOOSIERS

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Status
Not open for further replies.