Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to redo the Z32.
170331497IMG20170330183950.jpg

What I did today while I was high as fuuuuu on antihistamines: labeled the new EFI harness for the 300ZX.

170331122IMG20170331151010.jpg

Sat there and stared at the PDF of my Factory Service Manual with the harness layout page open, figuring out which plug went to what part. I eventually resorted to looking under the sleeves, as then I could compare with the circuit diagram (which has wire color codes on it). This harness has EGT on it, for some reason. The federal, manual harness didn't come with EGT, only the California model.

Last edited:
I'm sort of half-way done with the tuneup I started a while back.

I've done the cap, rotor, and 6 of 8 plugs. After that, all I'll have left are the wires.

Then maybe I should figure out why the EGR code keeps getting set.

Or maybe I should set it on fire.

Haven't see in one of those. On our 90's Fords there are some small passage ways inside that go from where the EGR and stuff mounts into the main part of the intake. Couple of them like pipe cleaner small that get clogged with carbon over the years.

Took them apart and cleaned them up good and none of the codes ever came back. Was nothing wrong with any parts, they just couldn't breathe. Something to check on old cars.

I have engine oil and a filter.
I have coolant and distilled water.
I have a new radiator.
I have new inner tie rod ends and boots.
And I have all the tools I need to get the GTI back on the road.

MOTHERFUCKER WHY DOES THE WEATHER ALWAYS SUCK ON THE WEEKEND

I need a garage.

I have engine oil and a filter.
I have coolant and distilled water.
I have a new radiator.
I have new inner tie rod ends and boots.
And I have all the tools I need to get the GTI back on the road.

MOTHERFUCKER WHY DOES THE WEATHER ALWAYS SUCK ON THE WEEKEND

I need a garage.
I am helping a friend with his Audi tomorrow, no wiring harness for me.

Nine times out of 10, missing means the last place that worked on the tires fucked it up and didn't tell you.

Although in this case, I'd wonder why the TPMS light coming on and staying on didn't bother you

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Dad's been trying to get his VW Van running again. The old Solex carbs were so worn that there were permanent air leaks around the throttle shafts, so he found a Weber kit to replace them. It's running well, but he keeps getting issues with fuel leak-down into the crank case when it's shutoff.

His mechanic has reset the float level twice (to my knowledge) and is supposed to be fairly knowledgeable with VW Weber swaps, so I'm wondering if there's another issue that might be going on. I seem to remember that when a fuel pump gasket went out it allowed fuel to leak into the crankcase, but Dad tells me that was a combination of issues.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can pass on to Dad for stuff to check?
@Mustard Dispenser, I know you're a VW guy, can't remember who else is an air-cooled VW guy

I'm no expert, but this book has served me well more than once with my Karmann Ghia - https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Update: have a 12 degree day, having a go at the GTI.

Working on a 14 year old atlantic canadian car sucks ass. Having a break while all the fasteners on the rad support soak in penetrating oil.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Update: got the front off the car.

One fucking bolt holding me up, a rusted out T20 screw which holds the AC condenser to the radiator. Stripped it out. Hammered a T25 in there, that didn't work, just bored the thing out more. Outside shape keeps me from getting vice grips on the thing. So I got the angle grinder out, and that siezed up on me and threw the blade.

Fuck you, universe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nine times out of 10, missing means the last place that worked on the tires fucked it up and didn't tell you.

Although in this case, I'd wonder why the TPMS light coming on and staying on didn't bother you
Electrical tape does wonders for dummy lights. I own two air pressure gauges, and can also tell by sight and feel when something is wrong with a tire.
If dummy lights bothered me, I never would have gotten through serial ownership of over 20 cabs.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Update: got the front off the car.

One fucking bolt holding me up, a rusted out T20 screw which holds the AC condenser to the radiator. Stripped it out. Hammered a T25 in there, that didn't work, just bored the thing out more. Outside shape keeps me from getting vice grips on the thing. So I got the angle grinder out, and that siezed up on me and threw the blade.

Fuck you, universe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

you ok? Angle grinder blade explosions are scary as fuck

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
you ok? Angle grinder blade explosions are scary as fuck
The blade came unscrewed once when I was using it and started rattling, thought I never had it on tight enough so I tried again with the blade retightened and it shot the blade. It skidded away from me, bounced off the dog yard fence about 5 feet away and landed under the Honda.

Figured I was still tightening the blade too loose or there was grease on the screw that holds the blade on, realized the thing was siezed.

I took it apart, failed bearing on the front of the motor.

In hindsight the thing could have killed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.