Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roofing sucks.
3o6Mbn7oIHchZPp2ZG.gif

• Gravy
Reactions: plot and nukes
Alright Dudesquad.
This is the.... shit, I don't know, bowcap? hood? roof of the forecastle? for my boat. The lefthand side I sanded and it got 80% of the crap paint off. The right hand side I used paint stripper and it got 80% of the crap paint off. Anyone have any thoughts how to get all of it off? It's aluminum, roughly 1/16th of an inch thick, the inside has some mild corrosion from salt water, I was thinking about getting that side media blasted and then coat it with Zinc Chromate paint so I don't have to worry about future corrosion. I'm unsure if I want to do that with exposed surfaces though, as the exposed surfaces will be bare aluminum and will need to be at least partially pretty/might get polished and I don't know what sort of finish the blasting will leave.

Any thoughts?

Reading this instead of skimming it, why not use whatever you used on the sanded side to finish it off?

Was thinking grit fine enough to not dig up the aluminum too bad wouldn't be coarse enough to make easy work of the paint but again, no aluminum expert.

Reading this instead of skimming it, why not use whatever you used on the sanded side to finish it off?

Was thinking grit fine enough to not dig up the aluminum too bad wouldn't be coarse enough to make easy work of the paint but again, no aluminum expert.
Rivets. Can't get in there close enough

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Dont get me wrong, good on you if you like this kind of stuff but tedious shit like that drives me bonkers.

Years ago I worked in a discount body shop.....discount being the operative word. It is some laborious, tedious shit I tell you what, and we were taking every shortcut in the book and some that were never to be spoken of.

I'm surprised some of those jobs made it through a carwash.

Years ago I worked in a discount body shop.....discount being the operative word. It is some laborious, tedious shit I tell you what, and we were taking every shortcut in the book and some that were never to be spoken of.

I'm surprised some of those jobs made it through a carwash.

Everything fits if you have the right tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.