Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CEL has to be on in the first place to pull one, and constant on, OBDI doesn't have a memory like OBDII so it won't retain past codes
BS. OBDI retains codes, just in a different manner. There are still lots of codes that don't throw cel.

Just backprobe the pins on the sensor with the car running & warmed up. You should see it flip flop almost constantly. There's a way to test resistance without blowing the thing but it escapes me right now.

started up my car today coming back from a meeting, massive engine shakes, blinking CEL, holy shit my engine is going to explode moments.

Made it to a safe parking lot, took a look to see what was misfiring so badly. One of my spark plug wires (which are less two years old, decided to break off at a distributor cap. Fun fun. We'll see if i can make it home to get some new wires or if the misfire blows up my cat on the way home.

started up my car today coming back from a meeting, massive engine shakes, blinking CEL, holy shit my engine is going to explode moments.

Made it to a safe parking lot, took a look to see what was misfiring so badly. One of my spark plug wires (which are less two years old, decided to break off at a distributor cap. Fun fun. We'll see if i can make it home to get some new wires or if the misfire blows up my cat on the way home.

that should be a sport on ESPN

Misfire won't blow up the cat on the way home. If you can reach the injector plugs, just unplug the connector that activates the injector so the cylinder with the fudged wire doesn't get fuel. It already won't be burning fuel, so there's no need to dump fuel into the cylinder.

all fixed. Bought nicer ngv spark plug cables, replaced them all.

Im not a car dude, but im glad i was able to fix this up pretty easily. I managed to reverse two spark plug wires the first time around though reinstalling, even though i very closely focused on getting them right.

Switched em up, all clear, running like a champ. How does a spark plug cable just break at the boot though, thats some shitty manufacturing, theres absolutely zero stress on it, unless there was some electrolysis going on that ate it away and made it weak. Looks like there might have been

Oh, and i got home by jamming the rubber boot of wire with the broken socket back onto the distributor and letting arc to the nearest metal connection which kept the engine from misfiring :D im kinda amazed that worked

Misfire won't blow up the cat on the way home. If you can reach the injector plugs, just unplug the connector that activates the injector so the cylinder with the fudged wire doesn't get fuel. It already won't be burning fuel, so there's no need to dump fuel into the cylinder.

Thanks duder. Id have to look up where to find those connectors, but ill keep that in mind if i ever have a misfire situation again.

BS. OBDI retains codes, just in a different manner. There are still lots of codes that don't throw cel.

Just backprobe the pins on the sensor with the car running & warmed up. You should see it flip flop almost constantly. There's a way to test resistance without blowing the thing but it escapes me right now.
Doesn't retain them indefinitely, and each system is different in how long they retain them, add in the fact that the code might not trip the CEL and it can be reset after enough start/shut-down cycles and it's almost a useless system for troubleshooting.

Thanks duder. Id have to look up where to find those connectors, but ill keep that in mind if i ever have a misfire situation again.
Just be careful when doing it, if the connector's have never been disconnected you might have issues disconnecting them.

You can also use black rubber vacuum line sometimes as a makeshift wire (depends on the line itself), the black color from the line comes from carbon, so it will conduct electricity until the carbon is burned out completely. Can be good for a short drive.

When I drove my GTI home on saturday, it backfired several times and left a pretty horrible cloud of smoke. Didn't know what coilpack it was (didn't have my code reader in the car) so I couldn't pull the injector wire.

Car's back together and doesn't seem to be acting unusual (no oxygen sensor CEL) so I guess I'm lucky.

Car related:

I picked up an EZ Pass RFID token today, so the gov't can track me more easily. Or should I say the quasi-gov't since the Maine Turnpike Authority is a Quasi-State Agency.

Also I probably drove close to 200mi today, and got around 23.85MPG. Not bad with burning oil engine.

Car related:

I picked up an EZ Pass RFID token today, so the gov't can track me more easily. Or should I say the quasi-gov't since the Maine Turnpike Authority is a Quasi-State Agency.

Also I probably drove close to 200mi today, and got around 23.85MPG. Not bad with burning oil engine.

Not great either. I cracked over 30mpg going 80mph in my vette on road trips.
RX is another sad story however.

I'm still trying to figure out what's so great about a rotary engine..

Iirc, the highest mileage ever off the shelf engine is a rotary. Something like 3M miles? They spend their lives spinning vs. beating themselves to death like a piston engine. Ahem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_787B

The next gen RX is supposed to get well over 300hp and be north of 30mpg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.