Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you get it to operating temp and drive it in a small variety of situations, a highway trip down two exits and back is key before you set off.

Had planned on doing that. More like couple hours of fast/slow, go/stop, left/right, 75mph/idling-creeping in rush hour, etc.

ok boomer ;)

I've been dailying the Fit for a couple months ago, and it has fuck all for options. Having no keyless entry, especially on a 4 door car, fucking suuuucks.

At least it has power windows, for rapid doberman fart evacuation.

A Fit is small enough to reach all the window cranks from the drivers seat without having to lean over.

I have stuff with the remote control thing that unlocks the doors.
Convenient? I guess.maybe.

Lost the one for the truck a long time ago. Don't care.
The Buick still works like that. I spend more time making double sure it's locked, or stopping it from flashing lights and honking because something else in my pocket or her purse hit the red button than I do enjoying the convenience.

I guess I'm just old.

My wife still automatically pushes her foot down on the gas pedal as she turns the key. And gives it a pump or two if it doesn't fire up right away.

I've long since stopped trying to explain why you don't have to do that now.

Gets aggravated too when the doors won't unlock themselves until you put it in park, or the lights stay on after you shut the car off.

It's endearing.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
ok boomer ;)

I've been dailying the Fit for a couple months ago, and it has fuck all for options. Having no keyless entry, especially on a 4 door car, fucking suuuucks.

At least it has power windows, for rapid doberman fart evacuation.
I think hips is forgetting what it's like for it to be -10 and you really wish you knew if your car, parked outside, was locked. 2 clicks, the lights blink, all is safe.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I think hips is forgetting what it's like for it to be -10 and you really wish you knew if your car, parked outside, was locked. 2 clicks, the lights blink, all is safe.

I have power locks, Ed. Yes they can be convenient. As far as checking the car when it's -10, why? You locked the car when you walked away from it. The only need to recheck is because stuff in your pockets or purse hits the buttons on the remote.

I did go through and change some settings so it stops doing dumb stuff like flashing lights and honking horns every time you lock/unlock it. And automatically locking you in the car when you put it in gear and not unlocking it until it's in park. That shit is irritating to no end.

The coolest thing is it has 2 remote controls, one for me, one for her, and the car knows which one unlocked it and automatically moves the seat back to where you had it for you. That shit is sweet.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and nukes
Next is figure out/disable the light sensor and see what changes.
The thing burns the headlights all day for no reason taking life out of the bulbs. Also keeps all the lights on at night which is useless for being stealthy. That stuff just needs to work manually.

Also the wiper switch has several intermittent settings between off and on which is good, but the car thinks it knows how much it's raining and keeps changing the speed. I disagree with its choices and that's also irritating. That stuff also just needs to work manually.

• Haha
If they're gonna have all that stuff they at least need to make it so you can go through the settings and turn off the stuff you don't want automated, like the lights and the wipers, and turn on the stuff you do want automated, like the magic seat thing.

Came out one day and the trunk was wide open and had been for who knows how long, maybe all night. Again something in the pocket hit the button.
There's another "convenience" that needs to be user adjustable. Set it to instant, or so you have to hold the button down for 1, 2, or 3 seconds, or push it 2 or 3 times within a short timeframe, or disable it altogether.

They really need to give me these new cars for awhile so I can tell them, this feature is cool, this one is dumb, some people might like this and others won't, this one would be good if it worked like this instead, etc.
Some of these cars are the coffeepot conundrum all over again.

And the new new ones with the RFID keyless everything are even worse. You're supposed to operate the machine, the machine isn't supposed to operate you.

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: nukes and wetwillie
Some scaliwag broke the right rear tail light on the Audi (looks like it got hit with a stick or something). I ordered a new one off eBay, and it came all the way from Lithuania, but I found out last night that Euro Audi had different regs than DOT Audi did, so now I have one tail lamp that's solid red with no focusing lenses (US), and one with two Fresnel lenses in it, one of which is amber for the turn signals (Euro).

It looks so dopey.

• Haha
Gonna bypass the starter inhibitor relay on the Z this afternoon.

Fuckin' thing has been making it iffy for a while, and I'm not crazy about having to have the clutch down while starting it anyway (it wears the thrust bearing, especially with a heavy clutch like mine).

I've learned to live without one in every other car I've had (the 240Z, the Audi, and the GTO all rely on you to either be cognizant enough of your surroundings to not start it in gear, or have the clutch in), so it's just a useless bit of puffery to get rid of.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
You're worried about the wear on a throwout bearing during the couple seconds it takes to start the car, but not the wear from the hundreds of shifts you do every day?

You're worried about the wear on a throwout bearing during the couple seconds it takes to start the car, but not the wear from the hundreds of shifts you do every day?
Yes.

When you start the car, the oil is all down in the pan, not being circulated up around the bearings, so cold start with the clutch in is by far the highest wear scenario for the thrust bearing.

Mostly though, I'm wanting to get rid of the relay because it's failing intermittently, which is fucking with the car's other electrics, and it's NLA from Nissan (not just a regular relay, it's gotta be speshul).

bye bitch.
20191112_165211.jpg

Backstory: Sunday after taking the car off the float charger (because I wanted to eliminate the battery as the possible source of the problem), I tried to start the thing. The starter relay sort of stuttered (like the coil trigger was iffy on being strong enough to close the relay), the car started, but after taking it out of the garage, it felt like it was running on 3 of 6 cylinders, and was pig rich (< 10:1, so maxing out my O2 sensors). If a misfire happens, typically your AFRs will get momentarily lean (it measures oxygen content, so uncombusted oxygen in the mixture will skew the reading), so I knew something was weird.

A couple restarts had everything smoothed out, but I don't understand what happened to the ECU, except maybe some kind of transient electrical thing that fucked it in the short run.

Anyhow, now the big wire is bridged with a 30A fusible link, as that's what the relay is supposed to be rated at.

Status
Not open for further replies.