Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 62TE automatic transmission in the minivans is a piece of shit. It's the same 'ol A604 platform that used to blow up in shitboxes like Dodge Shadows, but now with an extra couple gears squished in and >200hp V6 engines torquing harder than ever on the thing. That's pretty much all you need to know.

Co-worker lost the transmission in his, no scrapyards around here have transmissions (they have a waitlist for them, even), he ended up having the thing rebuilt instead.

Daimler trashed MOPAR. I have no idea why they put such crap engines into a product line they paid good money for.
#triggered. Someone post that chick with the glasses.
MOPARs been shit since the 80s when Lee Iacoca decided all we'd ever need were different bodies on the K platform.

The 62TE automatic transmission in the minivans is a piece of shit. It's the same 'ol A604 platform that used to blow up in shitboxes like Dodge Shadows, but now with an extra couple gears squished in and >200hp V6 engines torquing harder than ever on the thing. That's pretty much all you need to know.

Co-worker lost the transmission in his, no scrapyards around here have transmissions (they have a waitlist for them, even), he ended up having the thing rebuilt instead.

Thanks for this, gee.

Not terribly. Tranny is weak. Radiator is plastic. Cheap. Tranny should last until 200,000.

10-4. Kinda goes along with what gee said.

Her son has one he doesn't need anymore, might give it to his Mom. Known history, maintenance done on time, etc.
Might finish running that one to the grave and squirrel away more for a newer Honda/Nissan/Toyota.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Not terribly. Tranny is weak. Radiator is plastic. Cheap. Tranny should last until 200,000.

There's junkyard trannies available around here. $400 get you one with milage in the 80k-120k range. Call it $600 and a long weekend all in.
Cheap rent to keep the wheels turning until the rest of the thing is wore out.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes

Any other little quirks I should know about?

Her son lives in Tennessee.

Option 1. Fly up there and drive it home.

Option 2. Drive up there with a U-Haul car dolly and drag it home.

Option 3. Fly up into an unknown situation.

Fix van.

Fix van some more.

Leave for Texas with van full of tennessee junkyard parts and pawnshop tools.

Make progress in short segments interrupted my roadside repairs.

Too far from either place to get practical assistance something happens that leaves me with a whole bunch of crap I don't need but missing the one part or tool I do need.

Misadventure.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
Misadventure.

Misadventure.

Arrive home with a sort of a van and a good story.

I'm hoping for option 3.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant

Fix van.

Fix van some more.

Too far from either place to get practical assistance something happens that leaves me with a whole bunch of crap I don't need but missing the one part or tool I do need.

Misadventure.

Misadventure.

Misadventure.

I'm hoping for option 3.
Nope. They ran like a clunky truck for up to 300,000 with a tranny swap at around 200,000.
Keep an eye on the radiator. Alternator.
Try and stay away from the motorized slider doors. When they break they are a pain in the ass to fix.

Nope. They ran like a clunky truck for up to 300,000 with a tranny swap at around 200,000.
Keep an eye on the radiator. Alternator.
Try and stay away from the motorized slider doors. When they break they are a pain in the ass to fix.

Thanks.

I can pull all that other bullshit out and just make them work like a normal van door.

Some of us somehow manage to live without remote control doors, phone app ceiling fans, 46 cameras, terabytes of distractions, and voice-activated toilets. Quite well I might add.

• Love
Reactions: nukes
Thanks.

I can pull all that other bullshit out and just make them work like a normal van door.

Some of us somehow manage to live without remote control doors, phone app ceiling fans, 46 cameras, terabytes of distractions, and voice-activated toilets. Quite well I might add.
Said the man posting on a distraction right now

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer

Fix van.

Fix van some more.

Misadventure.

Misadventure.

Misadventure.

I'm hoping for option 3.
Odds are if a transmission failure is gonna happen, you'll get plenty of notice, like the thing will start doing weird shift when it shifts. If it drives fine when you're up there, you should make it to Texas OK, barring some other thing failing. Check all your fluid levels, colors and all of that before you hit the road, and take it for a good drive ahead of time. If everything seems kosher, you should be OK.

A free Caravan + a bunch of repairs is probably still cheaper than a Quest or Odyssey and the repairs it'll need.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer
ok boomer ;)

I've been dailying the Fit for a couple months ago, and it has fuck all for options. Having no keyless entry, especially on a 4 door car, fucking suuuucks.

At least it has power windows, for rapid doberman fart evacuation.

Odds are if a transmission failure is gonna happen, you'll get plenty of notice, like the thing will start doing weird shift when it shifts. If it drives fine when you're up there, you should make it to Texas OK, barring some other thing failing. Check all your fluid levels, colors and all of that before you hit the road, and take it for a good drive ahead of time. If everything seems kosher, you should be OK.

A free Caravan + a bunch of repairs is probably still cheaper than a Quest or Odyssey and the repairs it'll need.

Thanks again, gee.

Gradual failure > now it works, now it don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.