A sound card silicon on a video card?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
So I was reading this news story and I have some questions:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38714

The new ATI release will include sound card circuitry on board? And why does Vista mandate this? And what is DRM? And what does this solution fix?

And how doesn't an Nvidia 8000 series card not be able to use both outputs to make one image?

:confused:

So I was reading this news story and I have some questions:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38714

The new ATI release will include sound card circuitry on board?

yes

And why does Vista mandate this?
The problem with Vista is that the DRM infection mandates that you do not share S/PDIF output over unencrypted links.

And what is DRM?
Encryption, so we can't make a digitally perfect copy of some studio's shitty blu-ray disc, even though its already possible.

And what does this solution fix?
The DRM requirement.

And how doesn't an Nvidia 8000 series card not be able to use both outputs to make one image?

:confused:

Wait. How could a video card NOT do 720p? Mine is running at 1680x1050.

nVidia's cards can't do HDCP on both outputs and the sound "solution" doesn't meet Vista's strict DRM requirements.

I guess according to that site, nvidia cards can't do dual HTCP so they can't do any resolution higher than 720i. :confused:

Virtually any videocard you can buy nowadays can do 720p. However that would be over DVI or VGA or something similar. HDCP = High Def Content Protection, ie a technology designed to limit your ability to use content in some way, usually for the stated purpose of discouraging copies.

For right now it doesn't really mean anything, however in the future there are plans to limit how good a picture and sound can look unless both the entire channel is encrypted using HDCP. What this means is that if you drop in Rocky 17 in 8 years (maybe sooner, who knows) into your computer on HDDVD/BRD, then with that card you could only watch it in lower audio and 720p.

The idea is that an "unprotected" channel can't get the really good stuff so you can't make a really good copy.

I guess according to that site, nvidia cards can't do dual HTCP so they can't do any resolution higher than 720i. :confused:

He means 1920x1200. This wont be a problem right now, maybe in a few years once people try higher than 1080p resolution.

edit: Yep, he added that in at the end of the article.

Last edited: