A reverse cooking thread

I think I'm going to do hamburgers for dinner tonight, tell me how to make them delicious.

Ok, this might sound weird or gross to some, but the key to an awesome hamburger is good meat and panade. Panade is a paste made from bread and milk. It keeps the burgers moist and tender. So...

1 slice of white bread, crust removed
2 tbs milk (whole is better, 2% will do)

Tear the bread into little pieces and mix with the milk until it makes an even paste. You may need a tiny bit more liquid, but go very easy on the milk. Now ...

1/2 tps kosher salt
1 tps ground pepper
2 gloves garlic

And put those three things into a mortar and pestle and beat it like a red headed step child. You want to make a paste of this too. If you don't have a motar and pestle, just use a garlic press and mix the salt and pepper in the best you can. Now mix this paste, your panade, and 2 tsp of your favorite steak sauce. I actually like the Jim Beam steak sauce (no, there's no alcohol in it), but A1 will do. Put 1.5 lbs of 80/20 ground chuck in a bowl , add your mixture, and work with your hands until everything is thoroughly and evenly incorporated. I use a 1/3 c measuring cup to measure out each burger. Form into a patty and put a slight indention in the middle of each side. When the burger cooks, it'll even out and you'll have flat burgers this way without the bulge.

Heat up the grill and cut an onion in half. Dip the onion in canola oil and grease the grill. This not only slicks it up, but it adds a little flavor. It should only take about 4-5 minutes per side to cook. You know your grill is hot enough when you can hold your hand about 2" above the grate and just count to 3-one-thousand before having to pull away. Slice the rest of the onion for topping, along with lettice, and tomato. If you want cheeseburgers, put the cheese on about 2 minutes before you pull the burgers off the grill. Use real cheddar slices instead of cheap american cheese slices for a really nice burger. Serve on a kaiser roll if you have them, standard burger bun if not. Either way, put the rolls open side down on the grill for 2 minutes before serving to crispen them up before adding the meat. You can do this after you pull the burgers while they are resting.

I saw Guy do something similar with his meatballs on the food channel (the bread and milk thing). He was making big meatball parms. Looked friggin tastey

Your recipe was pretty close to this, but I think you will find it benefits from changing the order in which you mix things.

Although, that does remind me of a point I've found. I've actually been reading about food chemistry right now. Its kinda amazing how a dish changes simply by changing the order or method of mixing/preparation/cooking when using the exact same ingredients. Really interesting stuff.

yeah, or epicurious.com is good too.

For my meatloaf:

1lb ground beef 85% lean
1/4 pound ground pork
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
chopped up onions, peppers, and maybe mushrooms
kethcup/bbqsauce/spicy brown mustard (skip this for burgers, that shit will burn on a grill)
1/4 cup or so of milk
salt and pepper

blended by hand.

skip the milk, add beer instead. and not your coors light shit either.

Although, that does remind me of a point I've found. I've actually been reading about food chemistry right now. Its kinda amazing how a dish changes simply by changing the order or method of mixing/preparation/cooking when using the exact same ingredients. Really interesting stuff.

What are you reading? I've been reading much of the same type of stuff. McGee's "On food and cooking", and now Herve This' "Molecular Gastronomy". Very science-y stuff I'd never thought much about before.

What are you reading? I've been reading much of the same type of stuff. McGee's "On food and cooking", and now Herve This' "Molecular Gastronomy". Very science-y stuff I'd never thought much about before.

Currently, this : [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Science-Cooking-Peter-Barham/dp/3540674667/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227112591&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: The Science of Cooking (9783540674665): Peter Barham: Books[/ame]