A reverse cooking thread

Ok, you asked for it. This is not a dish for amateur cooks though. If you are not good with a wok, practice on simpler dishes such as basic stir fry first.

First you need tamarind paste. I’ve been told you can find it in Asian markets, but I’ve never seen it. You can order it online, but it’s fairly simple to make from tamarinds. Shell the tamarinds and let them soak in water for about half an hour. The sticky part should separate now from the seed fairly easily. If you find you’re getting a lot of fiber in your paste, you can add water so it’s strainable, then gently heat the mixture to evaporate off the excess liquid. The rest of this comes direct from a cooking friend in Asia.

2g thai chili powder
25g fish sauce
25g oyster sauce
25g coconut sugar (or more to taste). Palm sugar may be substituted.
50g tamarind paste (or more to taste)

Mix ingredients to make sauce. It’s best to let them meld overnight before cooking.

Ok, now …
30g peanut oil
1 shallot, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
10g hauchi po wan (asian prepared turnip)
100g bean sprouts (soaked in cold water)
2 eggs
225g sen lek (thin rice noodles)
100g firm tofu, cubed
100g prawns, peeled and deveined
100g chicken, cut into bite size strips

Garnish
25g roasted peanuts
Cilantro, cut into ribbons
Scallions, cut into 2” strips
Lime wedges

Have everything prepared first! This dish moves quickly and you will need to as well. You will not have time to prep between steps. Remember, you need to keep your wok very hot or you will mess up.

Soak the noodles in water for 15 minutes or so until they’re piable, but not soggy. Pour half the oil into the wok and heat. When hot, add tofu and stir fry until it forms a light brown crust. Then add shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the rest of the oil, let it heat, then add the meat and hauchi po wan. Cook enough so the chicken isn’t showing raw flesh. Then add noodles and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add about 50g water to flash steam the dish. Continue to stir fry until the water is gone. This is make or break time here. If it takes more than about 2 minutes to steam off the water, your wok isn't hot enough. Add sauce and stir till coated. Push everything to the sides of the pan and make room in the middle. Add the eggs and cook just until they develop a skin on the bottom, then stir together with the rest of the dish. Add bean sprouts and continue to stir fry until noodles are soft. Plate, garnish, and serve immediately.

Throwing this together today... finally have a chance. :wiggle:

Can reverse cooking thread include reworking leftovers?

I decided to be a bit creative in the kitchen again and turned chimney's sweet potato dish into sweet potato souffle/tart/pie thing.

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pics.

I need to do some more research, though, as they fell a bit. And don't ask for a recipe because I never use one and just expirement. Sorry

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Can reverse cooking thread include reworking leftovers?

I decided to be a bit creative in the kitchen again and turned chimney's sweet potato dish into sweet potato souffle/tart/pie thing.

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pics.

I need to do some more research, though, as they fell a bit. And don't ask for a recipe because I never use one and just expirement. Sorry

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
While interesting, why don't you tell us how you made it?

While interesting, why don't you tell us how you made it?

The original dish looked like a sweet potato casserole with a pecan brown sugar crust on top. The problem chimney ran into was that rather than using sweet potatos coarsely mashed as the base, he was short on time and used canned pureed potatoes. This lent to a consistency of baby diarrhea which is not what you are going for with that type of dish.

Because of the terribly similar comparison, not too much was eaten and chim made a triple batch so we have a lot leftover.

What I did was put in some cinnamon and nutmeg and stirred in a dish, making a sort of paste as the pecan crust mixed in. Then in another dish I whipped up some egg whites into stiffish peaks. I folded the eggs into the potato mixture, doubling the size.

The issue, however, was that I only used egg whites in my mixture. I should have added a bit of flour or baking powder or a bit of salt so that the "leavening" of egg whites works. Since I didn't add any of those things, the whites kind of fell and didn't keep their fluffy size.

I cheated and used Keebler mini graham cracker tart crusts, filled them with this "batter", topped with more pecans and sprinkled more cinnamon and nutmeg on top. Baked at 375 for about 20 to 25 mins and that was it.

Mmm... thanksgiving leftovers.

Just made the tamarind paste; what a pain in the ass!

I also made a white chili from the leftover turkey both white and dark meat. It was quite good.

Shred the turkey pieces up and put in a crock pot. Added to that, drain and add 3 cans of any white bean you want. Then add a can of cream of chicken or cream of celery soup (I used the former, I should have used the latter). Season as you like, put on low and sit for 8 to 10 hours. I used cumin, basil, oregano, thyme, sage, crusted pepper, maybe a bit of salt of the soup isn't too salty.

Traditionally I serve the chili in pocket bread. Pocket bread is different than pitas because they are leavened and thick like regular bread, but with a pocket in the inside. Then I usually top the pocket off with shredded cheese and serve.