A real tech head scratcher

its a console port.

What does this mean? "I can access the embedded box from either a Windows or Linux desktop"

samba, webpage?
It means I have a Windows PC and a Linux PC sitting on my desk, so if its easier to perform whatever voodoo magic to get the files in Linux as opposed to Windows, fire away.

I think all you have to do is use the 'get' command in telnet to receive a file from the machine.

hmm, got any more on this?

I didn't set this up so I can't say all the terminiology, but I know that the PXE network boot can be used to manipulate a program on another server. In our case, we use Caldera DOS on the front end and Suse Linux on the back end.

I'm in the process of looking up more information as I type this.

Nah, the web interface is pointless. You can set your encode/decode options through it and your network settings and that's about it.
But can you put files into a directory that you can retrieve via the webserver? Maybe TAR up the whole drive and put it somewhere?
hmm, got any more on this?
The device would have to have the option in the BIOS of PXE booting. If so, you could PXE boot it and ghost the damn thing.

I setup our PXE server here... :D

But can you put files into a directory that you can retrieve via the webserver? Maybe TAR up the whole drive and put it somewhere?

The device would have to have the option in the BIOS of PXE booting. If so, you could PXE boot it and ghost the damn thing.

I setup our PXE server here... :D

Setting up the PXE server is the only part I really don't know how to do, that's what I was trying to look up.

Setting up the PXE server is the only part I really don't know how to do, that's what I was trying to look up.

TFTPD32 works great. You basically need a DHCP server to hand out the PXE info and a server listening on the PXE port. TFTPD32 does both. After that, you just some basic files to get the PXE transfer going...

You might be able to run Netcat on one of the other PC's sitting next to it and pipe the output of a dd to the netcat listener and pipe that to a file. You'd get an image of the flash drive into the file on the PC.

Is that what you're looking to do?

You might be able to run Netcat on one of the other PC's sitting next to it and pipe the output of a dd to the netcat listener and pipe that to a file. You'd get an image of the flash drive into the file on the PC.

now that sounds like a cool idea.

Its sounds like it, but I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about this. I understand what dd is and piping data, but how would netcat go about listening to the embedded box. I thought dd was for internal copy/moves only.

Edit : would it be somthing along the lines of
Code:
 dd if=filetomove of=eth0
on the embedded machine and then just have the desktop running netcat monitor the IP of the embedded machine?

Last edited: