Advice A moral dilemma - what would you do?

So, yesterday, I was out with a few friends, enjoying my vacation this week and anticipating sending in my resignation notice this friday, when i get a call from my boss.

He called me to let me know that I'm getting a 5% bonus along with my regular paycheck this friday.

Instantly, in my mind I was thinking that they know what's coming, and that this little boost was their attempt to try to keep me. I asked what it was for, and he simply state 'we do this from time to time. I submitted it, and it was approved'. Nothing more, just, according to him, money out of no where.

I thanked him and ended the call. I didn't let him know I was going to quit.

But my mind is already made up on what to do. For me, it wasn't a question. I'm calling them back today, giving my notice a day early, and let them know to cancel the bonus. I can't in good conscience accept it.

I know there will be some who will call me an idiot, especially since I have no loyalty to this place and they have derailed my career for the past 2 years. There are some who will get my decision, as they like to look at themselves in the mirror and see someone who still tries to do the right thing and can sleep well at night knowing they did.

So, UFers, what would you do? Take the money knowing your bolting, or tell them to keep it since you have already accepted a new position elsewhere so you don't attain a 'douchebag' life achievement.

I would assume the bonus is for work you've already done, no?

btw

I actually paid attention to what was itt.

I did a little research, and found out it wasn't their lame attempt to retain me. it was a performance bonus everyone on the team got

so yeah

I kept dat cash

So all the moralistic pseudo bullshit everyone gave you that they wouldn't have applied themselves was irrelevant? Awesome.

to be fair, the reason most of them wouldn't apply that bullshit is because they don't have jobs. *cough* flapril *cough*
8WezSYv.jpg

Details are important. I keep saying I'm Scouse not English, not I'm Scouse not British, There are differences between England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. Liverpool is yet another layer.

Details are important. I keep saying I'm Scouse not English, not I'm Scouse not British, There are differences between England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. Liverpool is yet another layer.
Oh, so it's like Sicilian and Italian, or Tasmainan and Autralian, or this discussion and any other even mildly fucking interesting discussion.