Advice A moral dilemma - what would you do?

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,363
So, yesterday, I was out with a few friends, enjoying my vacation this week and anticipating sending in my resignation notice this friday, when i get a call from my boss.

He called me to let me know that I'm getting a 5% bonus along with my regular paycheck this friday.

Instantly, in my mind I was thinking that they know what's coming, and that this little boost was their attempt to try to keep me. I asked what it was for, and he simply state 'we do this from time to time. I submitted it, and it was approved'. Nothing more, just, according to him, money out of no where.

I thanked him and ended the call. I didn't let him know I was going to quit.

But my mind is already made up on what to do. For me, it wasn't a question. I'm calling them back today, giving my notice a day early, and let them know to cancel the bonus. I can't in good conscience accept it.

I know there will be some who will call me an idiot, especially since I have no loyalty to this place and they have derailed my career for the past 2 years. There are some who will get my decision, as they like to look at themselves in the mirror and see someone who still tries to do the right thing and can sleep well at night knowing they did.

So, UFers, what would you do? Take the money knowing your bolting, or tell them to keep it since you have already accepted a new position elsewhere so you don't attain a 'douchebag' life achievement.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and APRIL
So, yesterday, I was out with a few friends, enjoying my vacation this week and anticipating sending in my resignation notice this friday, when i get a call from my boss.

He called me to let me know that I'm getting a 5% bonus along with my regular paycheck this friday.

Instantly, in my mind I was thinking that they know what's coming, and that this little boost was their attempt to try to keep me. I asked what it was for, and he simply state 'we do this from time to time. I submitted it, and it was approved'. Nothing more, just, according to him, money out of no where.

I thanked him and ended the call. I didn't let him know I was going to quit.

But my mind is already made up on what to do. For me, it wasn't a question. I'm calling them back today, giving my notice a day early, and let them know to cancel the bonus. I can't in good conscience accept it.

I know there will be some who will call me an idiot, especially since I have no loyalty to this place and they have derailed my career for the past 2 years. There are some who will get my decision, as they like to look at themselves in the mirror and see someone who still tries to do the right thing and can sleep well at night knowing they did.

So, UFers, what would you do? Take the money knowing your bolting, or tell them to keep it since you have already accepted a new position elsewhere so you don't attain a 'douchebag' life achievement.
Omg, no. I wouldn't accept it. Snake move & karma would fuck me up real good n terrible.

This place has stressed you out enough, don't let this stress you.

The guy who called you, are you on good terms with him?
If so, I'd let him know you're quitting and don't want the bonus, if he still wants to give it to you then he does and you've said your piece.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
I myself am extremely loyal to a fault but I've also learned that job loyalty is only on the employee. If they have to every company regardless of size and who they are will cut you throat in a heartbeat and not feel bad about it. I've never like seeing when that happens but it does. Long gone are the days of working 1 place until you got that gold watch and pension.

So why wouldn't you take it if it's a bonus to reward past performance? It's not like it's a signing bonus or anything.

There are 2 schools of thought.

It 'could' be a reward for past performance.

But, my first thought, and I've learned to trust my instincts, is that they got a hint I was going to quit and this was their lame attempt to try and prevent that. They aren't real smart with people management around there, and I suspect they think more money is the answer to my issues with that place, and not the fact they are horrible managers who have created an absolutely shitty environment to work in.

In short, it's a lame attempt at a retention bonus.

I honestly thought you, of everyone here, would be in the 'no, give it back' group.

This place has stressed you out enough, don't let this stress you.

The guy who called you, are you on good terms with him?
If so, I'd let him know you're quitting and don't want the bonus, if he still wants to give it to you then he does and you've said your piece.

Not really. He's the main reason I'm leaving this job. But he's also who I report directly too.