A Moment of Silence

fly said:
cause churches need you to think that you need them?
True dat.

I was waiting outside a church for a wedding, and a minister came out to his car to go home. Turns out he got into a Lexus. What a good use of those donations.

/threadjack.

wonko80 said:
True dat.

I was waiting outside a church for a wedding, and a minister came out to his car to go home. Turns out he got into a Lexus. What a good use of those donations.

/threadjack.
Although I haven't done much research, I've heard there is possibly another gospel to the Bible written by Jesus himself. Apparently, it says that God is inside all of us and no intermediary is needed. The Catholic church obviously refuses to recognize it.

wonko80 said:
1) This is not about Old Navy.

2) Church should be the last place you go. Why not just pray instead?
A: :confused:

2: I was raised Catholic. I may not believe everything they believe but being in a church around those who do comforts me in some way. I've been going to mass on and off the past few months, it's helped me deal with things a little.

fly said:
Although I haven't done much research, I've heard there is possibly another gospel to the Bible written by Jesus himself. Apparently, it says that God is inside all of us and no intermediary is needed. The Catholic church obviously refuses to recognize it.

Dead Sea Scrolls ftw

Church is about peace of mind and comfort. It's about hope and being inspired by those around you. It isn't necessary per se, just desirable to a lot of people. It's a divine support group. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But yes, of course you can speak to God directly. That was Jesus' entire point. Think of the Allegory of the Cave, when the freed prisoner steps out into the light of the sun. That's all Jesus was trying to do. You'd never know that now, though, what with everyone putting words into his mouth and making shit up in his name.

fly said:

Haven't heard anything about a gospel by Jesus. Perhaps you are thinking of the Gospel of Thomas? It emphasised the divinity within each of us. His gospel was shunned by the church (betcha can't guess why) and all copies eradicated. A surviving copy was discovered in Nag Hammandi in 1945.

From wikipedia:
The Thomas is mystical and emphasizes a direct and unmediated experience of the Divine through becoming a Christ. In Thomas v.108, Jesus said, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become as I am; I myself shall become that person, and the hidden things will be revealed to him." Furthermore, salvation is personal and found through introspection. In Thomas v.70, Jesus says, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you have will save you. If you do not bring it forth, what you do not have within you will kill you." As such, this form of salvation is idiosyncratic and without literal explanation. In Thomas v.3, Jesus says,

...the Kingdom of God is within you...

I believe the Gospels of Mary Magdolin also follow this path, tho I have not studied it in depth. Most dismiss these gospels since they were written by doubting Thomas and an alleged prostitute and therefore aren't supported by the church...not that they would have any bias about gospels that don't support their power.....

Pandora said:
Most dismiss these gospels since they were written by doubting Thomas and an alleged prostitute and therefore aren't supported by the church...not that they would have any bias about gospels that don't support their power.....
The church officially drew the distinction between the 3 Marys that Pope Gregory the Great combined in an Easter sermon in 591. This was in 1969, the same year they pardoned Galileo for insisting the earth revolved around the sun and not vice versa.

woh woh ... off-track on the whole religious thing dont you all think.

well.. my moment of silence came when i got on a plane this morning...

it was actually very peaceful and everyone was friendly... kinda wierd.