A gay man asks anything

If your son or daughter was gay, would you make him/her feel comfortable about living a judgefree life? What I mean is I don't feel easy about mentioning my bf to my family and/or friends and/or coworkers for fear of retailiation or for fear they will change their minds about me. I am not out at work because I am worried about the reprocussions. Would you make sure your children would feel comfortable coming out to the world?

If your son or daughter was gay, would you make him/her feel comfortable about living a judgefree life? What I mean is I don't feel easy about mentioning my bf to my family and/or friends and/or coworkers for fear of retailiation or for fear they will change their minds about me. I am not out at work because I am worried about the reprocussions. Would you make sure your children would feel comfortable coming out to the world?

I would, but I would also equip them with the knowledge that not everyone out there is as accepting as their family.

Hopefully some day racism and the hatred towards gays will be obsolete.

Of course, and I will support my children whenever they face discrimination. What I don't understand is your fears. What kind of discrimination have you actually faced in your life? What are your fears as far as being who you are? Lucky for you you don't actually have to tell people about your minority status and it's kind of private information anyway.

Of course, and I will support my children whenever they face discrimination. What I don't understand is your fears. What kind of discrimination have you actually faced in your life? What are your fears as far as being who you are? Lucky for you you don't actually have to tell people about your minority status and it's kind of private information anyway.

I was wondering this as well, all these questions must have a reason.

It's only private if you don't act in any way effeminate or surpress your sexual proclivity, lie about conquests of women when the conversation at the frat party turns that way, and never reference the person you are actually going out with.

I still refer to chimney as "the roommate" to people I am not out to for fear of reprocussions.

I have faced discrimination in the sense that people I have known before won't talk to me anymore, or dialog has changed drastically and became uncomfortable. I have also be given worse service by waiters at a restaurant I used to go to, pointed at and laughed at by them while I was there. I am lucky that is all that has happened to me.

Another important question, and I should just put this in my first post, should I stop with the Gay threads? I mean everyone else doesn't have Straight threads like "Post your wife's naughty bits" threads.

my family has welcomed my brother and his boyfriend into our family gatherings no problem. my brother's family is not accepting at all, and it's made my brother see how lucky he is to have a family who embraces him and welcomes his partner. the only thing is that they have to sleep in separate rooms, but all of us (the kids) have to do that when bringing home a significant other. my brother is not treated any differently because he's gay. and we were all anxious to meet his boyfriend, not because they are gay, but because we were worried who my brother was so hung up on. :omy:

and yes, i've watched and enjoyed will and grace. although karen made the show. :D

my family has welcomed my brother and his boyfriend into our family gatherings no problem. my brother's family is not accepting at all, and it's made my brother see how lucky he is to have a family who embraces him and welcomes his partner. the only thing is that they have to sleep in separate rooms, but all of us (the kids) have to do that when bringing home a significant other. my brother is not treated any differently because he's gay. and we were all anxious to meet his boyfriend, not because they are gay, but because we were worried who my brother was so hung up on. :omy:

and yes, i've watched and enjoyed will and grace. although karen made the show. :D

Hear hear! I can't watch an episode without a glass of wine or martini in my hand :heart:

Another important question, and I should just put this in my first post, should I stop with the Gay threads? I mean everyone else doesn't have Straight threads like "Post your wife's naughty bits" threads.

i think a thread like this is valid and serious. i don't think you should not post something because it's gay if you really want to.
i think any alternative lifestyle to the one you lead is a curious thing...and we are the alternative lifestyles to you because most of us on here are straight. so you're curious. it's great. you also have left yourself open to questions about being gay to us, so it's an even trade, and i think it's been respectful and a good thing for all.
i do think that the NONgay thread stuff is annoying...because many here really don't care that you're gay. just post like everyone else posts. if you want to eliminate some "discomfort" or whatever by putting "gay" on a gay thread, fine...but the non-gay threads? i don't really see the need for it. :heart:

i think a thread like this is valid and serious. i don't think you should not post something because it's gay if you really want to.
i think any alternative lifestyle to the one you lead is a curious thing...and we are the alternative lifestyles to you because most of us on here are straight. so you're curious. it's great. you also have left yourself open to questions about being gay to us, so it's an even trade, and i think it's been respectful and a good thing for all.
i do think that the NONgay thread stuff is annoying...because many here really don't care that you're gay. just post like everyone else posts. if you want to eliminate some "discomfort" or whatever by putting "gay" on a gay thread, fine...but the non-gay threads? i don't really see the need for it. :heart:

That's to help out Sarcasmo. He (and Galen) are tired of my gay threads and post as much about that opinion, so that heading is for them.

Trust me, you're out at work.

I have faced discrimination in the sense that people I have known before won't talk to me anymore, or dialog has changed drastically and became uncomfortable. I have also be given worse service by waiters at a restaurant I used to go to, pointed at and laughed at by them while I was there. I am lucky that is all that has happened to me.

I gotta tell you brother, this 'discrimination' isn't something the gays have market share on.

I lost 80% of my friends because I slept with the wrong girl, and then slept with an equally wrong girl right after that. It drove a wedge between me and the people I had shared my life with on an almost daily basis. Eileenbunny was there, she's one of the few people that stuck by me after the fallout from 'The Holly Scene'. Everyone, gay or straight, does things in their life that alienates people that thought they 'knew' them. It happens, it's not a big deal (explained later).

Waiters... Waiters have probably one of the shittiest jobs in the world, and are unappreciated by 70% of the people they encounter. They will take any opportunity to ridicule you, harrass you, and otherwise fsck with your dining experience if they can. Take an ugly girl out to dinner and you'll see them pointing and laughing. Take a beautiful girl out and you will get the absolute worst service you have ever seen, all motivated by jealousy on their part.

My children will be raised understanding the 99% rule. 99% of the people that roll through your life do just that, roll through. If you sit there and worry about what everyone around you thinks of you, or what you are doing, or what you have done... Well, you'll just wind up worrying yourself to death. Don't do anything that you aren't 100% confident is the right thing for you to do. Never second guess yourself, never doubt that you know exactly what is right for you. The people in your life either care enough about you to understand that or they don't. Either which way, their judgement of you is theirs to deal with.

My children will be raised to know that they are perfect the way they are. Anyone that tells them differently is retarded.

Most important thing in my family is being yourself. Don't see that changing.

You will be judged in life. Being scared of that is just imbecilic.

Believe me, you are out at work.