WTF 80 people own half the world

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,362
According to a new survey from Credite Suisse, these 80 people own half of the worlds wealth.

80 people.

http://art-sheep.com/?p=9553

Eighty people hold the same amount of wealth as the world’s 3.6 billion poorest people, according to an analysis just released from Oxfam. The report from the global anti-poverty organization finds that since 2009, the wealth of those 80 richest has doubled in nominal terms — while the wealth of the poorest 50 percent of the world’s population has fallen.

To see how much wealth the richest 1 percent and the poorest 50 percent hold, Oxfam used research from Credit Suisse, a Swiss financial services company, and Forbes’s annual billionaires list. Oxfam then looked at how many of the world’s richest people would need to pool their resources to have as much wealth as the poorest 50 percent — and as of March 2014, it was just 80 people.

Four years earlier, 388 billionaires together held as much wealth as the poorest 50 percent of the world.

Thirty-five of the 80 richest people in the world are U.S. citizens, with combined wealth of $941 billion in 2014. Together in second place are Germany and Russia, with seven mega-rich individuals apiece. The entire list is dominated by one gender, though — 70 of the 80 richest people are men. And 68 of the people on the list are 50 or older.

kid20stirring20pot_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

look at how many of those are self made or where directly responsible for expanding father & sons co into billion dollar companies.

bill gates put a PC in every household. but all that raping and pillaging of poor people he did really paid off i guess. :iono:

there's an income equality for sure, but we also live in an age where 1 person can effect hundreds of millions or even billions, which has never been the case before. i'm not sure you can stop 300,000,000 people from giving gates money to use his software.

I'd be pretty tempted to be among the first. But we'll be lucky if we actually see someone step foot on Mars in our lifetime.
I disagree, we'll have footsteps by 2050. still too far off, imho, but I don't see it taking longer than that

also, our lifetimes are going to be very long. our generation will be hitting 100+ without breaking a sweat. in fact, we might be the last mortal generation. a century from now people will have nanobots fixing and repairing cell damage on the fly. they're going to live for as long as they choose

look at how many of those are self made or where directly responsible for expanding father & sons co into billion dollar companies.

you can't put the second one in league with the first one

getting rich when your parents are already millionaires is not self-made. not a single one of those heirs got their fortune from hard work. they may have worked hard, and I'm sure many of them did, but without the family money they'd be lower upper class like every other CEO or director. their fortune is a result of the circumstances of their birth

I disagree, we'll have footsteps by 2050. still too far off, imho, but I don't see it taking longer than that

also, our lifetimes are going to be very long. our generation will be hitting 100+ without breaking a sweat. in fact, we might be the last mortal generation. a century from now people will have nanobots fixing and repairing cell damage on the fly. they're going to live for as long as they choose

Do you have your flying car yet? Until I have my flying car, I'm not exactly buying into the futurist hype. Sure, I get the science behind it, and i see it being feasable.

for the very rich

where the fuck is my flying car

I wish I lived long enough to see "Planet of Origin" become something to put on passports

Do you have your flying car yet? Until I have my flying car, I'm not exactly buying into the futurist hype. Sure, I get the science behind it, and i see it being feasable.

for the very rich

where the fuck is my flying car

Flying cars terrify me.

Most people can't successfully drive on a flat plane.

Further, do you really want undocumented immigrants flying poorly maintained hoopties around over your house?

You sound like Disney in the 50s, talking about the year 2000.

Flying cars terrify me.

Most people can't successfully drive on a flat plane.

Further, do you really want undocumented immigrants flying poorly maintained hoopties around over your house?

If it's hunting season and I have enough ammo, sure. Why not?