WTF 8.9 Earthquake + Tsunami in Japan

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/11/134444531/major-tsunami-damage-in-northern-japan?ps=cprs

quake12_wide.jpg

A 30-foot tsunami triggered by the largest recorded earthquake in Japan's history smashed into the country's eastern coast Thursday, sweeping away boats, cars, homes and people as widespread fires raged. Tsunami warnings blanketed the entire Pacific, as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast.

Authorities said at least 32 people were killed. The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake was followed by at least 18 aftershocks, most of them of more than magnitude 6.0. Dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles from the epicenter.

"The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said at a news conference.

NPR's Louis Lim reported that the 30-foot wall of dark water swamped large areas of farmland and partially submerged an airport in Sendai prefecture, near the epicenter. An oil refinery in Ichihara was burning out of control with huge flames whipping into the sky.

DAE think the frequency of natural disasters are on the rise?

ok well im right at the pacific ocean and i can tell you that it fucking stinks like death.
i may go to the beach to take some pictures before i head more inland.
this better be a small tsunami here. but the schools are closed...

They are showing Diamond Head where the reef keeps being uncovered, meanwhile people are at the shore in ( I think) Kapahulu on another stream. They seem to think if a tsunami appears they'll have time to outrun it.