$750 off $1499 Dell laptops starts again tomorrow (8am CST).

ChikkenNoodul said:
My machine is two years old, and what they're offering me isn't much better :(

I've got a P4 2.2Ghz, 15" screen, DVD/CD-RW, 1GB RAM, 30GB HD and all they want to give me is a Centrino 1.8, same everything else and a slightly better video card with only 32MB of RAM
Centrino = :cool:

ChikkenNoodul said:
Is a 1.8 Centrino any faster than a 2.2 regular P4?

I don't give two shits about the enhanced power management crap, that's what 3 batteries are for

slower would be my guess...I don't think the centrino is optimized performance wise in any way beyond the normal p4 other than power

why_ask_why said:
slower would be my guess...I don't think the centrino is optimized performance wise in any way beyond the normal p4 other than power

As far as I am aware the centrino is significantly faster then a comparable P4. I would guess its at least as fast if not a lot faster then that 2.2.

Is this stackable with a 15% coupon that my coworker received when she ordered a new dell?

smileynev said:
As far as I am aware the centrino is significantly faster then a comparable P4. I would guess its at least as fast if not a lot faster then that 2.2.

This is true.

Is this stackable with a 15% coupon that my coworker received when she ordered a new dell?
I'm guessing not.

smileynev said:

centrino was out before hyperthreading though, no?...I don't see how it could be faster than an ht p4

why_ask_why said:
centrino was out before hyperthreading though, no?...I don't see how it could be faster than an ht p4
That's cause HT was invented to give the P4 a fighting chance. Intel has moved its focus away from the P4 to the Pentium M last time I read, because it was a much better designed chip.

The P4 pipeline is redickulous.

fly said:
That's cause HT was invented to give the P4 a fighting chance. Intel has moved its focus away from the P4 to the Pentium M last time I read, because it was a much better designed chip.

The P4 pipeline is redickulous.

The P4 always has been and always will be a crappy chip. The Pentium 3 was a much better design. I think the Centrino borrows a lot from the P3 in that far more instructions can be execute per clock cycle then the P4.

Of course, all pale in comparison to the G5.

I bought my Dell laptop back in November and got around 150 GBP ($283) off.
I am very happy that I chose Dell, I have nothing but praise for them.

Galen said:
I bought my Dell laptop back in November and got around 150 GBP ($283) off.
I am very happy that I chose Dell, I have nothing but praise for them.

They sell our good, wholesome, American computers to fancy frog humping foreigners?