65 Mustang Restoration Workblog

So maybe Ill use this thread as a workblog for the car

Finally started tearing it down for restoration.
Like with any old car, the more you dig into , the worse it gets.
Front and rear suspension is shot and will have to be rebuilt.
Going to yank the straight-6 engine & automatic transmission, and try to find a 286 4-barrel and a 4 speed transmission to put in it. My dad wants me to put a 5 liter new motor in it, but I want to stick with what was original to the car.
Finding a bunch of rust under the exterior trim pieces. Gonna repaint anyways. There is also a rust-hole in one of the floor pans. I might be able to patch it, if not, Ill have to replace the floor pan.
Some genius put speakers in the lower front corner of the doors, and cut a big hole in the sheet metal to install them. Im not sure yet if I can replace the interior sheet metal , or if Ill have to get new doors. They also drilled holes in the dashboard face to install some shitty cassette deck radio, so Ill have to patch the holes now.

When I get back to rebuild mode, I plan to upgrade the brakes with a front disc + booster kit (an original option) , install a factory A/C kit, re-upholster the seats with the pony style seat covers and door panels, install the rally pac gauge cluster and a factory-style radio.

Hopefully, by the time Im done, we should be looking something like this
Should take about a year or so I think, if things go well.

65mustang.jpg

pic dutn work

I'm with your dad though. this will never be a pristine original numbers matching car so slap a new 5.0 in it. I'd also figure out how to put a nice brembo brake kit on it because stopping is just as important

And nitrous..

:lol:

Honestly, though. I'm with you. Trying to restore it to classic condition is one of the reasons you get a car like this.

iirc, didn't they offer a 302 v-8 for that model year? I know the 67-68s had them.

pic dutn work

I'm with your dad though. this will never be a pristine original numbers matching car so slap a new 5.0 in it. I'd also figure out how to put a nice brembo brake kit on it because stopping is just as important

I havent been able to track down the motor I want yet, so theres no telling what Ill end up with.

Looks like I might be sol on the doors. The interior sheet metal doesnt come off. I can get new doors for 250 a pop tho. Might just do that, since there is some rust damage on the drivers side door.

And nitrous..

Honestly, though. I'm with you. Trying to restore it to classic condition is one of the reasons you get a car like this.

iirc, didn't they offer a 302 v-8 for that model year? I know the 67-68s had them.

From what I can tell, the 289-4 was the high performance motor for the 65 coupe, with a 3 or 4 speed manual , or the c4 auto transmission.

And nitrous..

Ah, never mind. They didn't offer any of the beast engines until 67...

So maybe Ill use this thread as a workblog for the car

Finally started tearing it down for restoration.
Like with any old car, the more you dig into , the worse it gets.
Front and rear suspension is shot and will have to be rebuilt.
Going to yank the straight-6 engine & automatic transmission, and try to find a 286 4-barrel and a 4 speed transmission to put in it. My dad wants me to put a 5 liter new motor in it, but I want to stick with what was original to the car.
Finding a bunch of rust under the exterior trim pieces. Gonna repaint anyways. There is also a rust-hole in one of the floor pans. I might be able to patch it, if not, Ill have to replace the floor pan.
Some genius put speakers in the lower front corner of the doors, and cut a big hole in the sheet metal to install them. Im not sure yet if I can replace the interior sheet metal , or if Ill have to get new doors. They also drilled holes in the dashboard face to install some shitty cassette deck radio, so Ill have to patch the holes now.

When I get back to rebuild mode, I plan to upgrade the brakes with a front disc + booster kit (an original option) , install a factory A/C kit, re-upholster the seats with the pony style seat covers and door panels, install the rally pac gauge cluster and a factory-style radio.

Hopefully, by the time Im done, we should be looking something like this
Should take about a year or so I think, if things go well.

http://isotopecomics.com/communique/65mustang.jpg

Love the new house!

The beast has been gutted!

Zm7GR.jpg

Heres the old six-banger and trans sitting on the floor. Used a crappy hoist I borrowed from my dad to get it out. Gonna go ahead and buy a chain-driven hoist to put the new one back in.

gHlLN.jpg

Have almost everything off that will come off now. All the interior is out, less the dashboard/instruments. Getting to that.
Next Ill get it outside and degrease the engine compartment and undercarriage. Then Ill put it back in the garage and get it up on jackstands and start tearing apart the underside of it.

wNCKz.jpg

Heres the door, you can see where some nitwit cut a hole in the sheetmetal for a speaker, and you can see the hole from rust damage in the lower right corner. Gonna end up having to replace the doors.

tEt1b.jpg

Found some pretty bad rust in the floor pans in the front by the firewall, one spot is rusted through, its not too bad, pretty sure I can just cut out the bad part and weld in a patch.

I feel like 90% of the furniture movers sold never touch furniture. that's what I used mine for too.