Thread 600,000 Children about to die

Well the problem there isn't the people who are choosing to have unprotected sex but the fact that some of those idiots think raping innocent young women will cure them of it. It's not a mystery to us but they are simply uneducated on that and a number of other subjects. Those half a million plus kids are not responsible for their state of their homelands and without some catalyst to alter those that survive will grow up knowing nothing but the environment around them, having no idea that there are other options besides joining tribal conflicts and doing things that we find despicable.

I'm not saying it's our responsibility but it's also not just a bunch of thugs choosing to live in a shithole.

Well the problem there isn't the people who are choosing to have unprotected sex but the fact that some of those idiots think raping innocent young women will cure them of it. It's not a mystery to us but they are simply uneducated on that and a number of other subjects. Those half a million plus kids are not responsible for their state of their homelands and without some catalyst to alter those that survive will grow up knowing nothing but the environment around them, having no idea that there are other options besides joining tribal conflicts and doing things that we find despicable.

I'm not saying it's our responsibility but it's also not just a bunch of thugs choosing to live in a shithole.

Just like anywhere else, parents should be taking responsibility for their children and shouldn't be having child after child if they aren't willing to raise them right. The culture there isn't like that though. They don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. I wouldn't have a child in the first place if I thought I weren't going to be able to feed, cloth and house it not to mention provide it with an education and give it all the love and opportunity I possibly can. I don't expect anyone else to do that for me either. I think we have tried to change things in countries where there is massive human suffering. I think we have dumped billions of dollars into the efforts. They aren't effective. It's a bunch of different cultures with lots of problems, none of which are mine and none of which I feel responsible for in the least. I don't feel evil for that either. It would be like saying I'm evil because I'm not doing anything about the horrible state of things in North Korea. What can I do? The people don't even want anything done. They just don't realize. And perhaps there are some things about my life that could be horrible and I don't realize because I'm in it. I'm not expecting some other nation to feel responsible for that either. And if I'm taken advantage of in the meantime, oh well. I can't save those 600K children. If the companies that are buying land and growing stuff on it stopped doing what they are doing, it wouldn't save those 600K children either. What will save those 600K children is parents and communities and governments that care about them. I can't give that to them. I'm not the devil. The US is not the devil.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you, however saying that they shouldn't be having children doesn't change the fact that they already did and will continue to do so. I'm not saying you or anyone should feel guilty or evil for not being able to fix things but I do understand why some people would feel that way. At least the subject is being broached and more people are aware of problems like this around the world. I certainly wouldn't bet that we're going to fix such things anytime soon but awareness is the first step. Hopefully our species can eventually rise above this kind of thing; if anything it'll be long after we're dead & buried but future generations would never forgive us if we chose to simply ignore it.

actually my sister in law does volunteer work in Kenya and other parts of africa and women get raped all the time.
they have little to no education regarding safe sex and condoms? who has those ready and available there?

the men there rape women like its nothing... spreading aids like crazy.
ive heard some horror stories from my SIL..
she wants me to go on her next trip with her, she educates aids infected women to take their meds and take care of themselves.

Just like anywhere else, parents should be taking responsibility for their children and shouldn't be having child after child if they aren't willing to raise them right. The culture there isn't like that though. They don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. I wouldn't have a child in the first place if I thought I weren't going to be able to feed, cloth and house it not to mention provide it with an education and give it all the love and opportunity I possibly can. I don't expect anyone else to do that for me either. I think we have tried to change things in countries where there is massive human suffering. I think we have dumped billions of dollars into the efforts. They aren't effective. It's a bunch of different cultures with lots of problems, none of which are mine and none of which I feel responsible for in the least. I don't feel evil for that either. It would be like saying I'm evil because I'm not doing anything about the horrible state of things in North Korea. What can I do? The people don't even want anything done. They just don't realize. And perhaps there are some things about my life that could be horrible and I don't realize because I'm in it. I'm not expecting some other nation to feel responsible for that either. And if I'm taken advantage of in the meantime, oh well. I can't save those 600K children. If the companies that are buying land and growing stuff on it stopped doing what they are doing, it wouldn't save those 600K children either. What will save those 600K children is parents and communities and governments that care about them. I can't give that to them. I'm not the devil. The US is not the devil.
In the words of ricky nelson, you can't please everyone >.>

There are serious problems with Africa but it's not like everyone else is falling over each other to help them. We sent the Army into Somalia once, it blew up in our face. We've evacuated the embassy in Liberia (which funny enough was started by freed US slaves) so many times they stopped covering it on the news. The French still have peacekeeping operations in several sub saharan countries.

You are generally right they need to help themselves. I feel the same way about mexico as well >.>

I completely agree with you, however saying that they shouldn't be having children doesn't change the fact that they already did and will continue to do so. I'm not saying you or anyone should feel guilty or evil for not being able to fix things but I do understand why some people would feel that way. At least the subject is being broached and more people are aware of problems like this around the world. I certainly wouldn't bet that we're going to fix such things anytime soon but awareness is the first step. Hopefully our species can eventually rise above this kind of thing; if anything it'll be long after we're dead & buried but future generations would never forgive us if we chose to simply ignore it.

My whole life I've known about these problems. Obviously the HIV part came into play a little after I was born and grew as an epidemic throughout my lifetime, but I'm just saying, it's not like we aren't aware. What can we do for a people that don't want help? I mean, I get that there is awfulness like Kiki pointed out, but shouldn't their government be doing something about it instead of the US being held accountable? I learned about HIV and sex and rape in school and at home, not from someone who lives halfway around the world. I also get that these people don't have the education system that we have, but then they don't pay for it either. Why should I? We can barely afford the crappy education system we've got and we are falling farther and farther behind as a country. I'm more worried about the starving and uneducated kids in my backyard then the ones in Ethiopia.

Again, I'm not saying you should have to pay anything but the point is that the people in question are not those that "don't want help". Kids do not have that kind of choice.

The US needs to get out of the 'Save the World' business, which is what lead to just about everyone hating us anyway, and focus more on the 'we got serious shit to deal with here' business, and start making life better for us again.

The US needs to get out of the 'Save the World' business, which is what lead to just about everyone hating us anyway, and focus more on the 'we got serious shit to deal with here' business, and start making life better for us again.

It wasn't you getting into the save the world business that made the world hate you. It was the reason you got into the save the world business that made the world hate you. Which is for self gains.

It wasn't you getting into the save the world business that made the world hate you. It was the reason you got into the save the world business that made the world hate you. Which is for self gains.
No one is in the 'save the world' business. Everything ever done by a state in the history of the world was done to further its own interests. A state in the business of altruism is a contradiction in terms.