Baby 4k tv. Anyone have it yet?

It was a blunt joke about him scoffing at new tv technology. 10 years ago nobody needed 1080p either.
The girlfriend's dad has an old 50", rear-projection SDTV and it looks god awful. For big screens like that, 1080p (or HDTV in general, I guess) is a godsend.

I s'pose 4K makes sense if you're sitting 6 feet from a 60" TV. I'm running a 40" 1080p screen and the couch is about 12 feet away, and while I can tell 480i/p and HD apart, I find it hard to tell 720p/1080p apart - I need something like a ticker or logo on the bottom of the screen to really know for sure.

It was a blunt joke about him scoffing at new tv technology. 10 years ago nobody needed 1080p either.

Valve nailed it. Its another marketing gimmick. There's not enough content yet, so paying a premium for it is dumb. And I think we all agree that you need to pay a premium for it.

someone has to pay the premium or the prices won't drop

doesn't have to be you, of course, but some people like consumer gimmicks

I almost bought one. But its not worth it right now.

Needs HDMI 2.0 or displayport to be worth a damn. Right now it can on do 30HZ at 4k, making it a poor choice for a computer monitor or HTPC setup (which is the only place right now that 4k would be of value)

Yeah, read about the 30hz thing a little while ago. Kind of a deal breaker.

people made the same arguments with 1080P. Saying that nothing broadcast in 1080P (hell, it still doesnt for the most part).

But yeah... we know how that went with blu-ray, etc.

I was an early adopter of 1080P, never once regretted it. Still have my original 1080P 37inch.

Or it will pretty much just go away, ala 3D.
3D seemed interesting, except $200+ for a set of LCD shutter glasses seemed like such a fucking cash grab.

I recently fired up Dolphin wii emulator on my computer, they now support anaglyphic 3D using red/cyan glasses, and it's awesome.

3D seemed interesting, except $200+ for a set of LCD shutter glasses seemed like such a fucking cash grab.

I recently fired up Dolphin wii emulator on my computer, they now support anaglyphic 3D using red/cyan glasses, and it's awesome.

almost everything is passive polarized now. 3d passive is solid (lets not get into the dumbass "half resolution" argument.)

Except brightness takes a huge hit. And I'm pretty sure that technically it is half resolution, no?

technically yes, it is. Which i had serious concerns about when i bought.

In usage? Nothing looks pixely, there is no interlacing effects, it looks sharp and crisp with no blurring.

The dimming i would say is about 30%, you get used to it and it vanishes after 15 minutes or so.

technically yes, it is. Which i had serious concerns about when i bought.

In usage? Nothing looks pixely, there is no interlacing effects, it looks sharp and crisp with no blurring.

The dimming i would say is about 30%, you get used to it and it vanishes after 15 minutes or so.

Of course it looks crisp. And that's exactly why 4k doesn't really matter. We're splitting hairs at this point.