4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
Houston
Marklar
₥60,587
Hello Useless Forums,

I have just completed a book that is very motivational about the work and life balance. It explains how everyone should take mini-retirements throughout their life instead of waiting until you retire and are too old to really enjoy more activities.

It is geared more towards the business owner, but has many principals that can help the cubicle worker too.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/01/12/nick-vijicic-get-back-up/ (the churchy stuff at the end can be ignored; cheesy vid, but neat to watch an limbless dude get around)

What is everyone doing to escape the 9-5 grind of this ant hill society we live in? Quit procrasterbating! :fly:

I have to learn to get over my fear of prison and start dealing drugs on the side. Then this might be of interest to me.

Do something you like doing then. Quit bitching about the "9-5 grind of this ant hill society".

What I like doing does not bring in income immediately like a 9-5.

It does not bother you that you have to "do time" at a specific time and place (even if you like what you do) you are still expected to do it on their terms or you will lose your job?

I would hate what I do after some time if I had to work under someone or those conditions. Hence my disdain for the corporate world. :fly:

It does not bother you that you have to "do time" at a specific time and place (even if you like what you do) you are still expected to do it on their terms or you will lose your job?

I would hate what I do after some time if I had to work under someone or those conditions. Hence my disdain for the corporate world. :fly:

No, because I like my job. It hasn't always been that way. Like anyone else, I had to bust my ass and show I knew my stuff. Now that I have, I'm given some leeway as to when I come and go. My job is interesting and I enjoy it.

No, because I like my job. It hasn't always been that way. Like anyone else, I had to bust my ass and show I knew my stuff. Now that I have, I'm given some leeway as to when I come and go. My job is interesting and I enjoy it.

But you are still tied down; that is my point. A slave may love cotton, but gosh I bet it sucks to be a slave.

I'm just stoked to do my own thing; go into business for myself. Have school and a few other things I need to finish up before I do tho... do do doooo.

That was my opinion when I was 17-20-ish

Being self-employed requires a special kind of person.

That person is not me.

Like Theac, I had to prove myself first - but now I have it pretty good. Somewhat flexible hours, work from home, decent benefits, good vacation time, etc.

But you are still tied down; that is my point. A slave may love cotton, but gosh I bet it sucks to be a slave.

I'm just stoked to do my own thing; go into business for myself. Have school and a few other things I need to finish up before I do tho... do do doooo.

This is a faulty fantasy. Working for yourself doesn't mean you don't have a boss. You have many bosses; every single client that writes your checks is your boss. You'll still be tied down and have a set of obligations. I think you'll be surprised at how little changes.

I like where I work because it allows me the ability to pretty much do only the things I like and I get to ignore the parts I'd have to do if I worked for myself. Book keeping, chasing accounts receivable, legal matters, chasing new clients, etc. are all things I don't have to worry about.

It takes a long time, lots of crap work, and grinding before you start to find what Chikken and I are describing in a job. There's also a certain attitude you have to display. I'm guessing with your tendency to job hop, you haven't had enough time to clear the grind time. Maybe its your attitude, I can't say. Whatever it is, if you want to find it, do something you like doing and stick with it. That's really the only way to be happy with your job.

Well that wasn't condescending in the slightest. Nope, not at all.

but it's pretty accurate. you have to love what you do and more importantly what you WANT to do with your career when you get up in the morning to be able to efficiently be able to deal with the grinding ish. hard work and patience do pay off.

but it's pretty accurate. you have to love what you do and more importantly what you WANT to do with your career when you get up in the morning to be able to efficiently be able to deal with the grinding ish. hard work and patience do pay off.

See, that wasn't condescending.

The message is the same, the delivery miles different.

Well that wasn't condescending in the slightest. Nope, not at all.
All in your head. If I didn't care about April, I wouldn't respond at all. The point is not to crush hopes and dreams, but to focus on what's important. Thinking that working for one's self is going to magically make things better is a false fantasy. You don't do any less work and you don't escape having to answer to people. Doing what you love is what's important. It makes the grind work worth it. No matter what path you take, you will have to start at the bottom with little or no pay and lots of shit you have to take before you reach a happy place.

I'm not sure if I ever get to retire from chosen profession, but I've heard the perks of grandparent hood are awesome.