4 day work week...yay or nay?

lemon_fresh said:
Downside of course would be extra long days.
But let me ask, if you tracked your time currently, are you working more than a 40 week over the course of the 5 day week? You know that little extra that they can squueze out of ya by scheduling a late meeting. That would figure into the equation.
Your extra day off may come mid week - shitty.

Upside - Having Mondays or Fridays off every week would ROCK.
How much freetime would knock loose for you having the extra day during the week?

Me - I'd go for it.

it's actually kind of neat to only work two days, then have a day off, then work two more, then have two off...
it's not bad, but the benefit of having a three-day weekend is obvious when it comes to vacation.

I'm assuming we'd rotate who got off friday or monday...no other equitable way to work it
and I rarely have to stay late nor am I ever called in on days off...I have to probably come in for a major software rollout in 2 weekends and that will be maybe the first time in my 5 years here

Thorn Bird said:
i thought that meant it was an hour? :confused:

just the opposite...it's supposed to be the city that never sleeps, always on the go, etc...so a NY minute is like a second...iirc

why_ask_why said:
just the opposite...it's supposed to be the city that never sleeps, always on the go, etc...so a NY minute is like a second...iirc

ah. makes sense. right concept, but wrong. :lol:

why_ask_why said:
the new york minute is the time it takes for the light to turn green and the guy second in line to go to honk his horn. so virtually instantaneously.

Works fine, if you are hourly and actually adhere to a work schedule, lol.

But yea, we used to do flex hours when I was working at AMEC. We'd do 9 hours Mon-Thurs, and then a half day on Friday. It was great! Except for the salaried guys that had projects that they had to stay on and work Friday afternoon, lewls.

I really liked the 4 10 hour days I worked for week. It was supposed to be closer to six weeks when I started that schedule, but since Haylee came early, I started maternity leave much sooner than expected. It's very nice to have Friday to get stuff done or rest or whatever. I figure during the week by the end of 8 hours you are too tired to do much anyway, so why not through a couple more hours in and get an extra day off.

last place i worked at, the schedule was 4 nine hour days and four hours on friday. vacation was doled out by the hour. so you could take two fridays off for the price of one day. but they usually ended up asking us to work ten hour days and/or all day friday plus some weekends.

after two straight 60 hour weeks, and two more likely coming up, everything sounds better. damn fiscal year end projects.

i miss my 4 day work week. thursday-sunday 8-7 (8-6 on the weekend). We didnt do shit on the weekends, so it was like a 2 day a week job filled in with videogames for a minimum of 20 hours on the weekend. having mon, tue and wed off was nice.