4 day work week...yay or nay?

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
my boss mentioned maybe moving my group to a 4 day work week...jebus that would be awesome!
any drawbacks I'm not considering??
would any of you NOT do this if given the option?

Yeah, I'd to four ten-hour workdays in a heartbeat. Avoid traffic for at least one part of your commute and have every weekend be a three day weekend. Can't beat it.

i've done this, and it's great. the one bad thing i have to say about it is that you only have one day during the week to make appointments, run errands (to the places with limited hours,) etc...since you have a free day, work might expect you to never take off work for stuff like that.
but it was a minor thing compared to having three days off. it's amazing what one day will give you in your personal life. more of a life!

itburnswhenipee said:
Oh... just thought of one.

IF- your time off is tracked in hours instead of days then each day off will cost more than it used to.

nothing would change in terms of vacation time...I think that's what you're getting at?

why_ask_why said:
nothing would change in terms of vacation time...I think that's what you're getting at?

You know, you're right.... you'd burn more vacation hours with each day taken off, but it'd be offset by the third weekend day. I clearly didn't think that through all the way.

why_ask_why said:

Assume you're given two weeks of vacation time, but it's measured as 80 hours, rather than just 10 days. Taking a single day off work would use up 10 hours, instead of just 8. But taking one day off would give you at least a four-day weekend (6 day weekend over Thanksgiving). So it could work for or against you, depending on how you look at it.

Downside of course would be extra long days.
But let me ask, if you tracked your time currently, are you working more than a 40 week over the course of the 5 day week? You know that little extra that they can squueze out of ya by scheduling a late meeting. That would figure into the equation.
Your extra day off may come mid week - shitty.

Upside - Having Mondays or Fridays off every week would ROCK.
How much freetime would knock loose for you having the extra day during the week?

Me - I'd go for it.

Is there any chance you would be called in on your off days?

I have to work this Sunday for most of the day. UGHHH!!!!

We are closed tomorrow, which is nice.