Food <3 jews. And their steak spice.

We have an extra pepper grinder and will be trying this. I'm confused about the white pepper tho. Does that come as seed? I've only seen powder.

the difference is that white pepper has had the black hull from black pepper removed. there's a slight difference in flavor, but it's mostly aesthetics.

ie: as Carla on Top Chef commented when finishing making her omelette: "What, we have no white pepper?!?!? Fine, it will just look like someone fucking ashed on it. "

Green peppers are simply picked unripe and should be used within days. Black pepper has simply been dried in the sun. Red pepper is fully ripe peppers and white pepper is fully ripe peppers that have been soaked and had the skin removed. Unless you want blue pepper or something there should be no need for dyes.
I suspect that Shengzeng High Technology Textiles or whoever made the pepper is probably too cheap for that, so they just buy black/white pepper and dye some of the white pepper to make the red and green.

Anyway, I'm sure y'all can adapt this recipe with pink salt and special peppercorns hand-picked out of the rectums of monkeys, to suit your pretentious needs.

I suspect that Shengzeng High Technology Textiles or whoever made the pepper is probably too cheap for that, so they just buy black/white pepper and dye some of the white pepper to make the red and green.

Anyway, I'm sure y'all can adapt this recipe with pink salt and special peppercorns hand-picked out of the rectums of monkeys, to suit your pretentious needs.

I was going to discuss using shallots in place of the onions and garlic scapes but I won't now you've been rude.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I was going to discuss using shallots in place of the onions and garlic scapes but I won't now you've been rude.
It's going on a steak. If anything, I'd focus on getting the best cut of meat you can instead of substituting out an ingredient for one with a slightly different flavor which amounts to 1/10th of the spice mixture. If you use the right amount of spice mixture (ie, not much) on your steak, changing out dried onions for shallots would cause a subtle change you'd really have to look for and know about in the flavor profile.

And it's also a dry rub. To make the best flavor I could, I'd probably go with a paste made with oil, salt, pepper, freshly minced garlic/onions/herbs, mustard, etc. Only thing is it'll be a lot more work, and I'd sooner put that kind of effort in if I was making something like a prime rib roast instead of a steak I'm cooking on a weekday after work.

Beauty of this rub is how easy it is. just throw a bunch of whole spices in a pepper grinder. Pick up a couple of steaks on the way home from work, turn on the grill on your way into the house, crank some of the spice onto the steaks, and throw 'em on when the grill's hot. Boom, you've got excellent food with very little effort. Who cares if some foodie on the internet doesn't like it, it's good.