22 Dead and 21 Wounded at VA Tech

do you think the parents of the shooter raised him that way? you have no idea what you're talking about

edit: it's not that guns and children can't peacefully coexist in a home, you just have to lock them up at all times(not doing so is essentially russian roulette imo) which in effect pretty much nullifies the effectiveness of having said weapon(s)..."excuse me for a moment mr. rapist sir while I go find my keys and make a trip to the gun safe"

Exactly

And excuse me, but it's not a "whiney excuse" it's a parent living in reality .. you have to think about these as a parent .. you have to imagine the worst so that you are overly prepared. That's wha tbeing a parent is. Kids do stupid shit, regardless of how they have been raised OR taught. I guess that'd mean that when parents go out of town and their kids trash the house having a party .. that means it's the parents fault?

I know plenty of kids (from when I was younger, and God knows kids these days are even worse) who made straight A's, they played sports, everyone's parents thought they were poster children of perfect upbringings .. but what happened was those were the ones just about everyone went to for drugs, and booze in highschool. Because no one suspected them.

Just because you think you know who your children are .. doesn't mean that they don't or won't do things they shouldn't. You know you did things your parents taught you not to do .. we all have. That doesn't mean you don't have control over them and that you haven't raised them properly .. but unless you are with them 24 hours a day .. you cannot be sure of what they are doing.

But like I said .. I'm a pro-active person as opposed to a re-active person. I guess it's partly to do with what I do for a living .. it probabaly carries over into my personal life (along with being a mom). I have to present the worst possible scenario and try to prevent it at work .. I also do it at home. I'd personally rather be overly safe and prevent something from happening than overly sorry later.

cho_class.jpg

Exactly

And excuse me, but it's not a "whiney excuse" it's a parent living in reality .. you have to think about these as a parent .. you have to imagine the worst so that you are overly prepared. That's wha tbeing a parent is. Kids do stupid shit, regardless of how they have been raised OR taught. I guess that'd mean that when parents go out of town and their kids trash the house having a party .. that means it's the parents fault?
It is the parent's fault. </story> Not to mention parenting bad enough that they dont think to just ask first.

I know plenty of kids (from when I was younger, and God knows kids these days are even worse) who made straight A's, they played sports, everyone's parents thought they were poster children of perfect upbringings .. but what happened was those were the ones just about everyone went to for drugs, and booze in highschool. Because no one suspected them.
and... That has what to do with what I said? Wait... Nothing!

Just because you think you know who your children are .. doesn't mean that they don't or won't do things they shouldn't. You know you did things your parents taught you not to do .. we all have. That doesn't mean you don't have control over them and that you haven't raised them properly .. but unless you are with them 24 hours a day .. you cannot be sure of what they are doing.
Excuses. There is normal doing stuff, and there is just plain stupid. If they get high and crash into a tree it's their own damn fault. Same applies to drinking drano and playing with guns. It's their fault, it your fault, but it isnt the objects fault.

But like I said .. I'm a pro-active person as opposed to a re-active person. I guess it's partly to do with what I do for a living .. it probabaly carries over into my personal life (along with being a mom). I have to present the worst possible scenario and try to prevent it at work .. I also do it at home. I'd personally rather be overly safe and prevent something from happening than overly sorry later.
Perhaps, but when 'being pro-active' starts to effect other people you dont have a right to say anything. It's your house, great, you can do what you want there, but you are not going to tell me what I can do.

Let's do away with hand-wringing, media whoring and political opportunism.

What is worse than anything are the Casper Milquetoast parents, putting up peace and love websites, getting their 15 minutes of fame as they hitchhike off the death of their child. Those parents are as equally guilty of their child's death as the shooter since their fantasy, group hug, ban guns environment fosters narssisistic-aggressive personalities. I know that sounds harsh, but the truth of the matter is that those parents, going for the media spotlight, are attention getting just like the shooter and, by their actions, create more target rich environments.

Fortunately, despite the gun grabbers going apoplectic on TV about our supposed, psychotic gun culture, the media polls consistently show 69-71% of the people believe no new gun laws will prevent future similar acts.