22 Dead and 21 Wounded at VA Tech

I think if you have to have to take a test in order to qualify for a license to drive a jetski, boat, and car ... you should have to take some sort of test or maybe a mental competency test to own a firearm.

I also think you should have to provide ID and said license to buy ammo as well. And maybe put a limit on how much you can buy at a time or something (kinda like you can only get so much cash from an ATM at a time).

You can walk in, fill out form paperwork for a firearm, buy ammo all you want .. (maybe for your illegally purchsed firearm) .. yet your 15 yr old can't drive his jetski at the lake while on vacation without taking a test first. If they'd crack down a little .. maybe some of this would stop.

It may inconvience a few (the actual good ones) but it's sure stop a lot of others. The bad will always hurt the good.

I think if you have to have to take a test in order to qualify for a license to drive a jetski, boat, and car ... you should have to take some sort of test or maybe a mental competency test to own a firearm.

I also think you should have to provide ID and said license to buy ammo as well. And maybe put a limit on how much you can buy at a time or something (kinda like you can only get so much cash from an ATM at a time).

You can walk in, fill out form paperwork for a firearm, buy ammo all you want .. (maybe for your illegally purchsed firearm) .. yet your 15 yr old can't drive his jetski at the lake while on vacation without taking a test first. If they'd crack down a little .. maybe some of this would stop.

It may inconvience a few (the actual good ones) but it's sure stop a lot of others. The bad will always hurt the good.

America is full of regulation.

Last edited:

I disagree entirely. The last thing the country needs is more bureaucracy. And if we're going to limit the amount of ammo one can buy why don't we go ahead and limit the amount of gas you can get for your car, since cars are just as deadly as guns are in the wrong hands.

It most definitely would inconvenience "a few", but would ultimately not stop anything.

Yeah unfortunately that's the truth .. but it's because so many bad people abuse all the vast amount of rights we've been given (unlike some other countries). It makes the rest of us suffer a little, yeah, but I'm ok with that though ... I'd rather be inconvienced a little and them try to stop some of the shit people try to come up with to hurt the rest of us.

I'm not saying everything the gov does is right (or wrong) but at least sometimes they do at least "try".

Then people would just make their own ammo.

Then make it the same regulation to buy the machine to make it. Have a license .. make all you want. Don't .. out of luck.

If current laws and common sense procedures are not followed all a new law does is give one more 'feel good' act that accomplishes nothing.

All legal paperwork does is provide more shit for some gubermint fuck to screw up on. And you can bet all it will do is deny some law abiding person the right to buy a firearm... which would probably be some female in fear of her life from a murderous stalker wanting to kill her.

What is needed is probably what might happen in Virginia and that is the right of any law abiding adult to carry a concealed weapon at VA tech.. That, and only that, would stop what happened. That is why the founding fathers were so wise.

I disagree entirely. The last thing the country needs is more bureaucracy. And if we're going to limit the amount of ammo one can buy why don't we go ahead and limit the amount of gas you can get for your car, since cars are just as deadly as guns are in the wrong hands.

They do.

If you use a debit card most places won't let you get over $75 worth, with a credit card it's $100. Cash is whatever you want though.

They limit you to getting $300 of your own money from an ATM and that's ok .. but by god if I wanna buy enough ammo to shoot 100 people .. LET ME!]

:lol: wonderful

This is quote is not aimed at anyone here, nor is it arguing a post or person on this forum, but I found it interesting....

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
- Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.

I don't mind taking a test to carry a firearm in public but certainly not to own one. I don't need to take a test or have a license to drive a car on my own property and I shouldn't have to take any test to keep a gun on my property.

Public use, sure. But I want my license treated the same way my driver's license is treated: the same way I can drive on any public road in the country I should be able to carry my firearm on any public property in the country.
You do have to show ID to buy ammunition but I don't understand why I should have a limit. The cash limit in ATMs is set by your bank, not the government. If my local gun shop wants to only sell me twenty boxes of 7.62 then that's their choice (not that I'd have the cheddar to buy that much at a time but still..).

A perfect reason to buy a lot of ammo at one time: there's a war on right now so the price of ammunition keeps jumping. In June the prices will jump again so every now and then when I have some extra money I buy a few boxes because it could skyrocket at any time.

Do you think ammo limits would have stopped this kid? Nope. He could have bought a hundred rounds from one store one month, a hundred rounds the next month from another store. It's a toothless idea based purely on emotion, not facts and logic. Ammo limits, like the one-gun-a-month limits, save no lives.

No, it would inconvenience the many, many good ones and it won't stop the bad ones in the least bit. I can buy ammunition illegally just as easily as I can buy a gun illegally. I'm sorry but none of this control would have prevented Monday's event. :(

They do.

If you use a debit card most places won't let you get over $75 worth, with a credit card it's $100. Cash is whatever you want though.

They limit you to getting $300 of your own money from an ATM and that's ok .. but by god if I wanna buy enough ammo to shoot 100 people .. LET ME!]

You know you can walk into a bank during business hours and take out as much cash as you like, right?

The reason ATMs regulate outbound cash is so that they don't have to fill the things up 8 times a day. It has nothing to do with limiting their customers access to money that belongs to them.

The reason they limit CC gas sales is to reduce bulk theft.

Last edited:
Well that's my opinion on the matter (I don't personally think guns solve anything myself. They may be cool to own and shoot and what not, but when violence is concerned, I don't think they are an end to any means .. just the beginning to another one. We aren't judges or jury's .. which is what a lot of this amount to imo. We have laws to protect us from ourselves .. because some of us (not saying all or most) can't deal with all that responsibility that is given to us.) .. and you have yours.

I'm not trying to sit here and try to convince you, just simply stating an opinion on the matter (and not necessarily just towards the school shooting(s) ) .. cas you aren't going to convince me.

I'm not against guns at all. I've never shot one, but I'd like to at some point. All my friends seem to think it's fun, I'd like to see what the hype is about. But I also don't feel the need to have one in my home or my car. If you do, fine .. that is your gov given choice.

But the problem is .. people don't just keep them on their property .. just like they don't keep their cars, boats, and jetskis .. they normally take them out in public at some point .. to use them.

My point with the gas and ATM's .. it doesn't matter WHY there is a limit .. just matters that there is ... the reason is mute. We still have to live with the limitations and work around it. And as of yet, it hasn't killed us. :)

Well that's my opinion on the matter (I don't personally think guns solve anything myself. They may be cool to own and shoot and what not, but when violence is concerned, I don't think they are an end to any means .. just the beginning to another one. We aren't judges or jury's .. which is what a lot of this amount to imo. We have laws to protect us from ourselves .. because some of us (not saying all or most) can't deal with all that responsibility that is given to us.) .. and you have yours.

So, in the event that someone broke into your home with the intention of raping and muderering anyone/everyone there, for no other reason than they were bored that night, you would be perfectly fine relying on the police to save you?

*this next bit is NOT directed at you SRC*

More times than I can count this week I've seen people (on other forums) use the usual reasons ("Oh, I live in a nice neighborhood so that could NEVER happen", "The crime rate here is low so that could never happen", or "There's a police station right down the street so that could never happen") to make themselves feel safe. In my opinion it is not only foolish but DANGEROUS to believe that because of these generic reasons, which are imprinted into people by a society which only pretends to be clean, that you are safe. Yes, you could go through your entire life without something terrible happening to you. But there is still a fairly reasonable chance that someday, somehow, somewhere, you may need to defend yourself and it makes me want to slam my head against the desk when I see friends (and even strangers) simply refuse that it could happen to them because society tells them so.

It COULD happen to you. It COULD happen to your spouse. It COULD happen to your children.

Buy a gun. Carry Pepper Spray. Take a pocket knife with you. Do SOMETHING so that when you need to you can do more for yourself than just die.

Last edited:
I highly doubt its a limit imposed on ammo, just a limit on transactions. For instance, I have an account with Wachovia and the limit they set on a transaction is $1000. I believe its $750 from an ATM per day. If you are in a store and run into it you can call the bank and they may allow the transfer to go through. Its there to keep someone from stealing your card and cleaning you out immediately, not because they don't want to inadvertently help you start a war.

Yeah unfortunately that's the truth .. but it's because so many bad people abuse all the vast amount of rights we've been given (unlike some other countries). It makes the rest of us suffer a little, yeah, but I'm ok with that though ... I'd rather be inconvienced a little and them try to stop some of the shit people try to come up with to hurt the rest of us.

someone on another forum put it best:

One of the consequences of a free society is that some few individuals will not exercise their freedoms responsibly. Instead, they will exploit their liberty to perform the most despicable acts imaginable. I am unwilling to surrender my liberty in an effort to protect myself, or others, from such evil men. A free society will always be vulnerable to the plans of such men.

Those precious lives lost in this horrible event, or any similar future event, can not be redeemed by surrendering our liberties. A great many people have fallen so that we might live as a free people, and not all of them where in uniform or killed in war.
the interesting thing is that he was referring to our freedom of speech, not our right to keep and bear arms
I'm not saying everything the gov does is right (or wrong) but at least sometimes they do at least "try".
And that's good. That's what the government is for; it exists solely to serve the people. We do entrust some things to the government but there are some things that we, as free individuals, must take upon ourselves to ensure. The police are not legally obligated to serve and protect individuals. The vast majority will put their lives on the line to save ours without hesitation but still, they are required to do what's best for society, not individuals. It would be hard for a cop to make the decision to let one woman get raped to keep five people from getting killed but that's his job. That woman has the responsibility to protect herself; relying on the government for our protection 24/7 is neither a good idea nor possible in a free society.
Then make it the same regulation to buy the machine to make it. Have a license .. make all you want. Don't .. out of luck.

You think not having a license to reload ammunition is going to stop people from doing so? You don't need a machine to do it. You don't even need a machine to make a firearm. They are simple machines that can still be made by hand and can last for centuries.

They do.

I can go to the bank, get a few grand out in cash and buy as many gallons of gas as I can afford as long as I have the proper tank to put it in. Hell, if I have the money I can buy a fleet of tanker trucks and run every gas station within a ten mile radius dry and keep all that gas in a big tank on my own property. The only limit on how much gas a person can buy is the natural limits of a free market: supply and demand.

Maybe I want to buy enough ammo to shoot 100 deer. Or 100 targets so I can practice over and over just in case the time ever comes for me to have to shoot one bullet at one person. Believe me, spending a few thousand dollars a year on ammunition so you can practice is worth it if it keeps you from shooting wildly when your home is broken into and accidentally killing your dog.

Last edited:
So, in the event that someone broke into your home with the intention of raping and muderering anyone/everyone there, for no other reason than they were bored that night, you would be perfectly fine relying on the police to save you?

I do own a drawer full of nice sharp knives. I also have several baseball bats (wooden and metal) inside my house (kid plays ball).

I don't know many people who sit around watching tv or sleep with a gun on their actual person. If you can get to your gun you can get to some other type of weapon to defend yourself.

I also own a pretty large dog (80lbs), that I feel if I were scared enough (which they can sense) would also help me out.

So no, I don't feel the need to keep a gun (which my child or his friends could shoot each other with) inside my home.

I also have ADT.

I'm not trying to sit here and try to convince you, just simply stating an opinion on the matter (and not necessarily just towards the school shooting(s) ) .. cas you aren't going to convince me.

I'm not against guns at all. I've never shot one, but I'd like to at some point. All my friends seem to think it's fun, I'd like to see what the hype is about. But I also don't feel the need to have one in my home or my car. If you do, fine .. that is your gov given choice.

But the problem is .. people don't just keep them on their property .. just like they don't keep their cars, boats, and jetskis .. they normally take them out in public at some point .. to use them.

My point with the gas and ATM's .. it doesn't matter WHY there is a limit .. just matters that there is ... the reason is mute. We still have to live with the limitations and work around it. And as of yet, it hasn't killed us. :)

:heart: I respect your opinion, I just feel it's misguided. the idea that violence is a bad thing is what confuses me. violence is a part of nature. stars die and are born in violent explosions, planets collide and tear each other to shreds. continents smash into each other and volcanos scorch entire regions. lions rip gazelles to pieces while they're still alive, wolves kill each other in packs for territory, hawks pick up field mice only to drop them from thousands of feet in the air. primates fight each other for territory, property, mates.

Violence is a part of nature. We can't pretend that getting rid of weapons is going to stem violence. Violence is how we became the dominant species on the planet, it's coded into our DNA to allow us to survive and outlive weaker animals. As a civilized people we understand that unnecessary violence is unjust and wrong but there will always be people that don't play by the rules. There will always be thieves that want what their neighbor has, there will always be rapists that decide to take what they want from a pretty girl, there will always murderers that simply get off on death and there will always be tyrants and warlords that want to control and subjugate those unable to fight back.

:p I'm sure people are getting tired of me waxing philosophical but sometimes violence is a justified means to an end. If you're being attacked you have the right to defend yourself by any means necessary even if that includes taking the life of the one that wants to take yours. You're also justified in defending the life of your child with deadly force. As I said, violence is a part of nature and civilized people tend to avoid it...but some only respond to violence. Some people can't be dealt with any other way.

Laws do not exist to protect us from ourselves. Laws exist to punish those who have hurt others. To be effective, to be useful, such laws first have to be broken. Laws will punish the murderer but they will not prevent the murder. That's what violence is for. We are not judges and juries but we are certainly entitled to protect our lives from those that would take them.