Food 2021 Garden Thrad

But serious, I laugh a bit at the guys grinding away at hop-skipping through all the tech upgrades possible. Sit out an upgrade or two, save some money, save some sanity.
Someone was stressed about a ceiling fan and light without separate wring. FFs - get a $30 Hunter fan/light control, slamm the wireless module in the fan's ass(ceiling shroud) and be done with it! Leave the wiring to the next fucktard. OR the next technology upgrade.
{Old Man Shakes FIst at Clouds}

@Domon - cucumber beetles, under fucking attack!!!
Good grief - worst infestation ever.
Fresh spinosad - fuck, melons are still going down. Restart, their dead - nothing but a "Trap crop" at this point.
Clay spray - works great on top of the leaves but hard to protect the undersides and new tips.
Yellow sticky traps - meh, they want to eat plants, not flowers right now.

BIngo(maybe)!. Saw an article on U of PEnn(iirc). "Having really good results with sparkly mylar mulch patches under plants.
Went to Dollar Tree, bought cheap mylar sparkly, laid squares yesterday.
Absolutely not a single bug on the ones with the mylar. Incredible.

I planted a HUGE pumpkin patch seperate from my garden. SUpposed to sell them(all fancy fucks) to a friend for him to retail. Almost 100 plants.
Crop was going down but maybe I'll pull it out of the fire. Time to cut more mylar!

Fresh spinosad - fuck, melons are still going down. Restart, their dead - nothing but a "Trap crop" at this point.
Clay spray - works great on top of the leaves but hard to protect the undersides and new tips.

BIngo(maybe)!. Saw an article on U of PEnn(iirc). "Having really good results with sparkly mylar mulch patches under plants.

I planted a HUGE pumpkin patch seperate from my garden. SUpposed to sell them(all fancy fucks) to a friend for him to retail. Almost 100 plants.
Crop was going down but maybe I'll pull it out of the fire. Time to cut more mylar!
fuck that was early in the season :( They spread bacterial wilt I presume

I wonder if i could wait out the cucumber beetles. Theres only one generation per season, and they live for 60 days, starting in june.

If i planted a second batch of cukes at the beginning of august, I could harvest in mid-oct. My season allows for that.

Alternatively, getting the cukes in the ground so they were mature before june 1 would be a win too, but im never that organized

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I wonder if i could wait out the cucumber beetles. Theres only one generation per season, and they live for 60 days, starting in june.

If i planted a second batch of cukes at the beginning of august, I could harvest in mid-oct. My season allows for that.

Alternatively, getting the cukes in the ground so they were mature before june 1 would be a win too, but im never that organized

If our plants take off like they sometimes do, we have a fucking truckload. Just come get some.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and Domon
fuck that was early in the season :( They spread bacterial wilt I presume
Yeah, it was early, but weather has been crazy early in MI.
Current update: 5 varieties of pumpkins - they only seemed to like 2. I've swapped out ons that look gone, gave all a 6X6 of sparly mylaar or a sparkly plate. Really seems to work - the little shits are perturbed by it.
3 types of melons. Death to the honeydew, they lok like cooked spinach. Watermelons - one type got a little dmage. OTher - nada.
Tihitian Melon Squash - you'd think they were invisible or actually repulsive to the little shits. Can't even find one nearby.

Another round of spinosad, more sticky sheets. Restarted the melons in the greenhouse.

I was holding off on planting the cucs for same reason - maybe I can miss the little pricks. PLanted some "Mexican CUcumbers" - supposedly they resist those fucks too.

Oh, Domon,, if you grow the ground cherries they will chew the hell out of them but I've never had one die from it.

Jesus Christ - maybe I have been feeding an army with the fucking ground cherries. That would suck but thinking about it . . . . hmmm. Melons would have been so nice. piss.

@wetwillie I thought you were trellised? That doesnt make getting to the underside of the leaves easier?
Not tall enough to be "upward.. 3 real leaves at best. Sad but funny. I actually have a sentimental memory about those particular honeydew. I was like 25-26, 2 kids in a shit house with nothing but a window AC. Was really nice at the end of August to put two melons in the fridge each morning before leaving for work and have them in the evening. Give the youngest honeydew juice in his sippy. :)

Current update: 5 varieties of pumpkins - they only seemed to like 2. I've swapped out ons that look gone, gave all a 6X6 of sparly mylaar or a sparkly plate. Really seems to work - the little shits are perturbed by it.
3 types of melons. Death to the honeydew, they lok like cooked spinach. Watermelons - one type got a little dmage. OTher - nada.
Tihitian Melon Squash - you'd think they were invisible or actually repulsive to the little shits. Can't even find one nearby.

Another round of spinosad, more sticky sheets. Restarted the melons in the greenhouse.

I was holding off on planting the cucs for same reason - maybe I can miss the little pricks. PLanted some "Mexican CUcumbers" - supposedly they resist those fucks too.

Oh, Domon,, if you grow the ground cherries they will chew the hell out of them but I've never had one die from it.

Jesus Christ - maybe I have been feeding an army with the fucking ground cherries. That would suck but thinking about it . . . . hmmm. Melons would have been so nice. piss.
i did mexican/mouse/sourgherkins/cucumelons last year. Bacterial wilt hit em worse than the normal cukes. Leaves are way more fragile and the whole plant got toasted from good to dead in 2 days

• Sad

I am doing ground cherries this year :)

that might have been your "trap plant" that was breeding em if you werent treating it.....

i did mexican/mouse/sourgherkins/cucumelons last year. Bacterial wilt hit em worse than the normal cukes. Leaves are way more fragile and the whole plant got toasted from good to dead in 2 days
Yikes. They do look fragile in the pictures. They've been out there in their trays, sitting on the ground for like a week - no sign of the beetles on them. I also did West Indies Burr cucumber, some bites sized little things. Those have been spared too, and they actually ARE a cucmber. But I planted them all today. I'll try not to worry.:rolleyes:

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
I am doing ground cherries this year :)
You know, the cuc beetles(I get the striped kind, you may get the spotted, idk) were all over them. They seem to have really stepped off of them. Maybe this is just a hard lesson that I need to time those to let the beetle invasion pass before I plant out. I blame Exxon and their global warming.

Thats really good to know regarding the ground cherries. If those can draw the cucumber beetles away, and I can treat em there to keep them away from my cukes, thatd be a win

• Gravy
Thats really good to know regarding the ground cherries. If those can draw the cucumber beetles away, and I can treat em there to keep them away from my cukes, thatd be a win
That was where I first saw them when the invasion started. Oddly "quiet" but we are having some scaary COLD weather now. They predict Saturday it will get down to 39 at night. Oh joy. I think I'm going to being blowing out that new roll of 6mil, 20'X100' black visqueen. Might be as good as it gets. mmm, few rolls of tape too . . .

Frost - fuuuuuuuuucccccckkkk was that close. Frost on the car roof, frost on the plants I left uncovered - real white shit. Despite the air only reading 38(there's a good science discussion in the making: how does that happen?). I think I'll be saving all those plastic strips I cut. Might happen again. Damn global warming.

I read up on that, how are you implementing the mylar on your trellised stuff?