Food 2021 Garden Thrad

taping over the holes will work though. Ive gorilla taped a few holes and had it last for years.

just make sure its not dusty before you tape.

also, pics motherfucker, so we can ridicule you more. I took the effort to make a goddamn gif, show some initiative.

Stretch goals for the garden this year:

1) Get the old wooden rotting fence down and put up a valve-style mesh fence

2) Drip irrigation on the tomatoes to avoid cracking later in the season from intermittant rain.

t-posts are sold out near everywhere right now unfortunately

2) Drip irrigation on the tomatoes to avoid cracking later in the season from intermittant rain.

Careful, the mesh fences let woodchucks through that'll destroy your weed barrier.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Careful, the mesh fences let woodchucks through that'll destroy your weed barrier.
ill be putting metal mesh on the bottom 2 feet like i have on the wood fence right now.

Cause yep, the woodchucks eat through that plastic mesh like its an appetizer

My current fence system has been awesome for animal control. Two strands of energized electric right near the ground to control climbing, 2 ft of metal mesh, one strand of electric high (6 foot), post and rail for the structure.

My neighbors are getting a whole new yard. Nice brick patio with pergola (TBD), landscaping and a bunch of sod. So far, two weeks of noise. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the price of lumber to drop just so I can fix my deck. They aren't growing food.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 2.06.07 PM.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
20210322_082601_small.jpg

Raked out one of the flowerbeds on Sunday when it was 64F outside. Also pounded one of the fence posts back in that was loose all winter. Ready for the vines to start growing on them. Flowers are starting to sprout. Spring is nearly here.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly

2' varmint/rabbit fence over the deer fence on the bottom.

Then, Electric fence.

Only thing that got through was a baby bunny that slipped though a gap in the gate which has been taken care of.

Groundhogs were learned. They avoid the whole thing now.

Use varmint/rabbit fence roll on the bottom, not chicken wire.

Make sure your electric fence is even with where the two overlap.

We had a ground hog figure out how to slip through the layers.

1/2" pattern "hardware cloth" is thicker, tougher wire than chicken wire. Maybe something could chew through it eventually but it's kept raccoons, possums, skunks, and dogs away from the chickens for a couple years now. No woodchucks here though.
Seems the smaller the pattern the harder it is for them to get a bite on. Comes in 1/4" too.

71K96LaiXOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There's a commercial fencing supply place here that has it way cheaper than Lowes or someplace like that.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
We used to have problems with wet green grass shorting out the electric fence around the cow pasture. You guys probably keep your places well kept but it could effect one low to the ground, like to prevent digging under, if you miss a weekend mowing or something.

We used to have problems with wet green grass shorting out the electric fence around the cow pasture. You guys probably keep your places well kept but it could effect one low to the ground, like to prevent digging under, if you miss a weekend mowing or something.
Modern fence chargers don't have that problem. I remember that happened in all the time when I was a kid but my fence charger I have now doesn't even flinch

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Modern fence chargers don't have that problem. I remember that happened in all the time when I was a kid but my fence charger I have now doesn't even flinch
Cool. Ya I guess that would've been the 70s & 80s haha.

We took our mighty 8hp snapper riding mower out there and cut 2 laps around the pasture under the wire. Was easier going around all the posts with that than the sickle hay mower.

Cool. Ya I guess that would've been the 70s & 80s haha.

We took our mighty 8hp snapper riding mower out there and cut 2 laps around the pasture under the wire. Was easier going around all the posts with that than the sickle hay mower.
I have to weedwack the fenceline around here still about 5 times a season, doesnt take too long. In my new setup, ill have a 24 inch standoff on the outside of the fence so weeds cant grow into the mesh/wire

• Gravy
1/2" pattern "hardware cloth" is thicker, tougher wire than chicken wire. Maybe something could chew through it eventually but it's kept raccoons, possums, skunks, and dogs away from the chickens for a couple years now. No woodchucks here though.
Seems the smaller the pattern the harder it is for them to get a bite on. Comes in 1/4" too.

View attachment 13996

There's a commercial fencing supply place here that has it way cheaper than Lowes or someplace like that.
great stuff, pricey in large volumes though.

View attachment 13996
I've 1/4" stainless mesh on the bottom of the chicken coop. Nice stuff for making tents to protect melons and squash seedlings from hungry birds.

• Gravy