Food 2021 Garden Thrad

June 15, 2021, reporting from the Winter Wonderland.
20210616_073552.jpg
20210616_073628.jpg20210616_073412.jpg20210616_073305.jpg compost pile tomatoes - thrown away yet buried ;)
8' High CLub on the Snow PEas - death to the peas this Sunday.
20210616_073737.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
DUDE! That would be awesome. It looks like there are some that are native to NM, which would be awesome. I could send you beer in return?
Picked these up from the nursery this morning. They told me that since I'm late in the season, I should grow them shaded for at least a year. I asked if it mattered if they stayed there their whole lives, and they said no, since this was a Southern Colorado/Northern New Mexican variety, they would probably thrive there. So, I put them in the shade of my Ash tree, next to my overgrown as fuck Honeysuckle. Threw some compost down on the top, and we'll see what happens. They're "Neomexicanus" hops, I guess they grow big cones and are sorta citrusy.

Nice shady spot:
IMG_20210617_100228619.jpg

two wee bitty hops bines:
IMG_20210617_100220132.jpg

I'll twine them up if they make it a week.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Picked these up from the nursery this morning. They told me that since I'm late in the season, I should grow them shaded for at least a year. I asked if it mattered if they stayed there their whole lives, and they said no, since this was a Southern Colorado/Northern New Mexican variety, they would probably thrive there. So, I put them in the shade of my Ash tree, next to my overgrown as fuck Honeysuckle. Threw some compost down on the top, and we'll see what happens. They're "Neomexicanus" hops, I guess they grow big cones and are sorta citrusy.

Nice shady spot:
View attachment 14440

View attachment 14441

Very cool! I see you have Virginia Creeper(shit directly to the right of hops). It grows so well in a more moderate temp like here it's pretty much an invasive species. Looks like it's about the choke the honeysuckle out. DO the right thing man, next it will come for the hops.

Very cool! I see you have Virginia Creeper(shit directly to the right of hops). It grows so well in a more moderate temp like here it's pretty much an invasive species. Looks like it's about the choke the honeysuckle out. DO the right thing man, next it will come for the hops.
Yeah, it's been a minute since I checked the honeysuckle out for creeper invaders. There were a couple. but not anywhere close to choking that honeysuckle.

Usually I mow the base of it and that takes care of all the shoots it and the creeper put out.

Yeah, it's been a minute since I checked the honeysuckle out for creeper invaders. There were a couple. but not anywhere close to choking that honeysuckle.

Usually I mow the base of it and that takes care of all the shoots it and the creeper put out.
I was thinking more of the creeper that was 6-7' up in the air, on top of the honeysuckle. With its little olive/almond shaped honeysuckle leaves. Which probably shouldn't be so yellow yet. just sayin. Honeysuckle smells so good. . . . Virginia just smells creepy. :oops:

*Honeysuckle is almost invasive here. We have huge one's in our field.

I was thinking more of the creeper that was 6-7' up in the air, on top of the honeysuckle. With its little olive/almond shaped honeysuckle leaves. Which probably shouldn't be so yellow yet. just sayin. Honeysuckle smells so good. . . . Virginia just smells creepy. :oops:
yep, there was a single shoot that had made its way up the trellis. S'gone now, though.

Everything's stressed here at the moment, hence the color. We're way above normal temps for early to mid June, and I can't keep up with the water. I actually transplanted that honeysuckle from the patio, after the wind blew its shittily-installed trellis over one night. I just axed it out of the ground, sat it over near the fence, and welded up a new trellis that's bolted into the cinder block wall, and it's been going for about 5 years. It spilled over the back of the wall about 2 years ago, and I'm not sure my neighbor appreciates it, but she hasn't tried to hack it off or anything yet.

Thinking about putting a couple more of those trellises around that wall so I can give the honeysuckle a chance to carpet it entirely.

• Gravy

Nice shady spot:
View attachment 14440

View attachment 14441

omg that's exciting!

• Love
While they haven't died, they also haven't really done much. They're in shade, but the weather was super hot when I put them in, and it's pretty moist now. I expect if we ever get normal weather, they'll probably do better.

IMG_20210629_074926933.jpg

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie and fly
Gonna be a great eggplant year, and is always a great pepper year. I misunderstood how ground cherries grow... no way those are gonna be trellisable, its a giant bush.

No sign of cuke beetles on the ground cherries though @wetwillie. So far, a great year for bugs and disease. Some septoria leaf spot on the tomatoes, but it seems to burn itself out and not spread. Havent been spraying anything this year.

New fence is also great. Nothing messing with it, even without the electric strands.

• Gravy
Gonna be a great eggplant year, and is always a great pepper year. I misunderstood how ground cherries grow... no way those are gonna be trellisable, its a giant bush.

No sign of cuke beetles on the ground cherries though @wetwillie. So far, a great year for bugs and disease. Some septoria leaf spot on the tomatoes, but it seems to burn itself out and not spread. Havent been spraying anything this year.

New fence is also great. Nothing messing with it, even without the electric strands.
no, didn't said ground cherries are trellisable. the opposite - up in a raised bed, two rows planted super thick and leaning outward, that way you can just scoop 2/3 of the crop off the ground every morning *. I plant them 1 foot apart in 2 rows about 8-10" apart, staggered from the other row. Looks like a crazy bonsai leaning out the side of the bed. *I'd like to rig an sloped screen and a bucket, for super laziness.

Yeah, eggplants are crazy here and peppers too. Too much rain - the tomatoes were just exploding/cracking. Lost probably half the crop to date, to that shit. Hopefully drier now.. I did about 100 pumpkin plants as a dare/bet with someone - insane number of pumpkin. Lot of those fancy "Cinderella's carriage" type, already 15"+ across. Watermelons are insane. Huge onion crop coming out in 2 weeks or so.

No return of the cuke beatles here. hoping to pick cukes in next few days. fingers crossed.

didnt say you did....
True - I got sucked along in the excitement after being hailed. I've seen a lot of suggestions for them online, the most common is placing them a few feet apart - I've grown them several years, have seen no point in that. They don't seem to care about spacing, are fine leaning on each other.
Hopefully your family likes them.

yeah, theyre definitely an experiment. The girls love grape/cherry tomatoes for hte snack factor, so i figure they might like these too.

i did cucamelons last year in a similar "lets try something new". Wasnt all that impressed.

Re: your tomatoes... yeah, im gonna be hitting that soon too unless i get my drip irrigation inline soon. Im still all green and about halfway to full size, but we're in a dry spell now, and about the time theyll start reddening up in a month or so the rains will come back and cause em to grow too fast and crack. im on the clock to get them consistent water in the next week or so.

• Gravy
yeah, theyre definitely an experiment. The girls love grape/cherry tomatoes for hte snack factor, so i figure they might like these too.

i did cucamelons last year in a similar "lets try something new". Wasnt all that impressed.

Re: your tomatoes... yeah, im gonna be hitting that soon too unless i get my drip irrigation inline soon. Im still all green and about halfway to full size, but we're in a dry spell now, and about the time theyll start reddening up in a month or so the rains will come back and cause em to grow too fast and crack. im on the clock to get them consistent water in the next week or so.

The Mexican "cucamelons" - yeah, tiny and crappy.

Harvest coming in early this year. Super early. Normally we dont get tomatoes until early september, and thats when i get stuff in the ground in may. Didnt get stuff in the ground until JULY this year, and tomato harvest is starting. Peppers are going nuts, the biggest of them almost reaches my shoulder. Eggplants doing great too. Ground cherries too. Good experiment, but i cant see myself growing them on the regular. Too sweet if youd believe it.

I used a synthetic fertilizer this year that was heavy on phosphorus and it seems to make a huge diff.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and fly