Food 2021 Garden Thrad

How are you handling pollination inside the greenhouse
They will be moved outside in 2-3 weeks. But, I've been letting the bees in with me. They leave me alone and vis-a-vis. I'm mainly using it as a staging point - would have preferred to have them in it 2 weeks sooner. . . All plants were started in 3.5" squares, bottom watered in industry-standard trays, I wash everything and lose less than 10% of the tray and inserts/pots. 100% moved to 6" square or round now. ffs, glad to be done with that. Planting outside almost seems easier., probably just more satisfying. The tall things are fig trees. A few things from @TuhMollies part of the world - naranjillas(lulo beverage?) and Pepino melons.

Last edited:
Garden Snob alert.:eek:
Let the planting begin. About 800 plants( 12 trays of cold stuff are outside), now with about 200 other warm weather items like sunflowers, squash, pumpkins, and some cucumbers I started 2 days ago. Had to go multi-level for a few days.
The cardboard, organic weed barrier (heh!) - some dude on craigs "I gots me 50-60 of this big sheets of cardboard. Nice and clean, take them all or don't bother me." Ok mister, I will fire up my International box truck and take your 60+ untouched sheets of 3/16 3-ply cell cardboard that were originally intended to be folded into one half of a 9" deep KING SIZE mattress shipping box. Holy fuck, that was like !.5-2k if you were to buy it. Got almost enough for next year, despite adding a 14X22 area outside the garden, just for pumpkins and sunflowers. :) *If you look closely at the front, 320 onions are sticking through the cardboard.
plants.jpg
cardboard.jpg

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain and fly
Garden Snob alert.:eek:
Let the planting begin. About 800 plants( 12 trays of cold stuff are outside), now with about 200 other warm weather items like sunflowers, squash, pumpkins, and some cucumbers I started 2 days ago. Had to go multi-level for a few days.
The cardboard, organic weed barrier (heh!) - some dude on craigs "I gots me 50-60 of this big sheets of cardboard. Nice and clean, take them all or don't bother me." Ok mister, I will fire up my International box truck and take your 60+ untouched sheets of 3/16 3-ply cell cardboard that were originally intended to be folded into one half of a 9" deep KING SIZE mattress shipping box. Holy fuck, that was like !.5-2k if you were to buy it. Got almost enough for next year, despite adding a 14X22 area outside the garden, just for pumpkins and sunflowers. :) *If you look closely at the front, 320 onions are sticking through the cardboard.
View attachment 14249
View attachment 14250
{I saw you gravied} Hey @fly, those are figs, not green testicles. :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain and fly
@wetwillie you do any irrigation in the field? If so, what kind. gonna cover over to drip irrigation for the tomatoes

In the past i just rely on natural water, everything is mulched so the water stays in the soil, but i want more consistent levels

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
@wetwillie you do any irrigation in the field? If so, what kind. gonna cover over to drip irrigation for the tomatoes

In the past i just rely on natural water, everything is mulched so the water stays in the soil, but i want more consistent levels
I do overhead on everything except on squash, cucs, melons and pumpkins. I use soaker hoses for those, hidden by multch(eventually). I don't do overhead on those 4 because of the wilt/mold danger. I make no special effort on tomatoes other than planting them at least 12" deep. Same with eggplant, pepper, tomatillo.

I was planting stuff and my ass was getting kicked with the RYobi right-angle drill and a 3.5" auger. Oh my old arms were fucked - looked like I was making gang signs. SO, I did other stuff and THIS is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Wow - 6" of girth. Take that @TuhMollie !
1621542358110.png

ah, i quit overhead years ago cause disease.

Its crazy what the 18v batts can do.

For comparison.... I have a 6 inch auger for the goddamn 21hp pto on my tractor.

ah, i quit overhead years ago cause disease.

Its crazy what the 18v batts can do.

For comparison.... I have a 6 inch auger for the goddamn 21hp pto on my tractor.
The overhead isn't a problem for me because I don't really do a lot of watering once the plant are settled - at some point I try to run the mulch layer a little dry so it decouples from the soil - between waterings. Drives the roots downward Even the soaker will only be ran as a last resort. I won't do drip for the same reason I never got going on hydro growing - they get dependant on it and all is lost when the tech fails. Roots cluster at the surface. That said, drip works wonderfully. I'm glitch adverse, not tech adverse :)

I like the 18v,s the 40v would have been super cool but I couldn't justify it. I'll 40UP when they force me by phasing out 18v. :lol: hmm, we do have one 40v - wife's SunJo min-tiller. pos. pos. fine - it works but what a friggin toy.

I'm having planting issues because I moved so many plants to 6" pots, most years I don't nearly as much. The job is several times easier when planting 3.5" And I'm getting older, maybe a little long covids.:iono: And I added the stupid pumpkin patch as a "family joke" business - my daughter met the BF while he was sitting there, selling pumpkins. All goes well, he will sell my pumpkins. They break up? - I am so fucked.:lol: Planning for about 150-200 pumpkins.

yeah, I miss my tractor. Never really used in my garden. I'm making a list of projects that require one and hope to do a glorious day or two where I knock a bunch of stuff out with a rental tractor with backhoe. Scrape a few spots level, dig a few tree holes, unroot 2 huge Wisterias :), give the driveway some fresh gravel and curb appeal. Hoping to sell the prick next year(ish).

@Domon, sorry about my bitchiness the other day regarding time and starting late . Our available time is very different - I'm semi-retired with no kids but money to do shit. If I spent MY kind of time at YOUR point in life, I'd be a really sucky father and husband. I AM a gardening snob - I figure I've earned it the dirty way.:hi2u:
It's nice when we share ideas and then check out what the other person is saying. You gave me thoughts on where my light's spectrum could be improved from the specs of yours. I think I know what's missing.

Now go grow some shit! :)

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
@Domon, sorry about my bitchiness the other day regarding time and starting late . Our available time is very different - I'm semi-retired with no kids but money to do shit. If I spent MY kind of time at YOUR point in life, I'd be a really sucky father and husband. I AM a gardening snob - I figure I've earned it the dirty way.:hi2u:
It's nice when we share ideas and then check out what the other person is saying. You gave me thoughts on where my light's spectrum could be improved from the specs of yours. I think I know what's missing.

Now go grow some shit! :)
All good man. I'm hardening off now. Tomatoes are looking real stout

• Gravy
Few things I don't like about the grow light.

The geometry of that one causes the seedlings to reach for the middle, I think I'd need two to be really happy. A reflective tent might help too.

It also very obviously causes the seedlings to use wayyy more nutrients. I'm fertilizing twice as often

• Gravy
All good man. I'm hardening off now. Tomatoes are looking real stout
Hey, hey, I wasn't trying to get you HARD ;) (t.y.)

A cheap reflective tent of coated canvas on a steel tube frame is just fine imo - love them things. Indoor, treated well, could last several years. Grow some salad in the winter.

Looking back on my seedlings, I'd say the tomatoes took it the worse on stretching, peppers just a little, eggplant not really at all. Herbs were fine. odd. Although - I was doing all vining/indeterminate types of 'maters.

Light geometry - rotate some of the plants? yeah, yeah - that's just a pita, risk of damage. A tent would help a lot. And much cheaper than that light.