Food 2021 Garden Thrad

I dont have much problem with diggers.
I don't have problem with the hoppers. Yeah, can never find 8' above the ground T posts. 7' are more like 6.5 when all done. Baby bunnies early in season are main issue here for the garden, since they can get through the 2" fence easily. I have occasional woodchucks but those are limited to structures they burrow under. Easy enough to catch 'chucks with regular setting of body traps.

Thank dog this got here in time! Friggin plants have outstripped their growing area, should have been under sunlight 2 weeks ago. meh, I still have at least 22 days until I am setting sensitive plants out. Everything in trays will go to 6" pots in next day or two(which I've already started.
20210424_091257.jpg
Yikes!!! Using living room as overflow area. THe moms ain't amused.20210424_091425.jpg

Annnnddddddd, here's Johnny.
20210424_141404.jpg

Of course I needed some pain meds. Moving plants is tiring. But seriously. 40 flats of 18 plants, a few of those were 36's. So, roughly 750 plants.
Got myself a 1/2 pint of Maker's Mark and a double-deuce of Guiness. Or whatever those big fucks are. Freedom ounces forevar!!
*9 "Holy Punch(high THC), 6 Charlottes Web(high CBD)
20210424_141421.jpg

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and fly
Maybe the latest ive iver been :( Itll be ok, long season, but still, feels bad man

Finally started 40 tomatoes, 30 peppers, 20 eggplants.

You'll be fine. Some years you have to buy, it's not a sin - shit happens or you want different stuff. I'll confess - I ruined my cauliflower and broccoli and had to buy a tray. The shame. I had to buy everything a few years ago due to health issues.
Not really a fan of growing under LED grow lights, I think I could get a better grow with T5 fluorescent grow tubes and definitely from Metal Halide grow bulbs. LED isn't nearly as intense and they produce quite a bit of heat. Plants stretch badly even if the LED tube is touching them. From what I read, they produce more heat per watt than either incandescent or fluorescent - we just are usually using a lot fewer watts to get visible spectrum light. I had 48, 4' LED going. I had the window to the room cracked a few inches almost 247 to control the heat, even wtih the ducts closed and the door closed.

You'll be fine. Some years you have to buy, it's not a sin - shit happens or you want different stuff. I'll confess - I ruined my cauliflower and broccoli and had to buy a tray. The shame. I had to buy everything a few years ago due to health issues.
Not really a fan of growing under LED grow lights, I think I could get a better grow with T5 fluorescent grow tubes and definitely from Metal Halide grow bulbs. LED isn't nearly as intense and they produce quite a bit of heat. Plants stretch badly even if the LED tube is touching them. From what I read, they produce more heat per watt than either incandescent or fluorescent - we just are usually using a lot fewer watts to get visible spectrum light. I had 48, 4' LED going. I had the window to the room cracked a few inches almost 247 to control the heat, even wtih the ducts closed and the door closed.
these are more lumens per sq inch than any other light ive seen, including metal halide. almost 3x the output of T5s. They burn into your eyes if you look at them

SF_-2000.jpg

The light source is spread out and light intensity drops off rapidly with distance. I've used several brands of LEDs and the plants invariably behave like they are light-starved. Another problem with LED - the spectrum bands on LEDs are super tight, every color/spectrum needs a different chemical, so you generally only have 3 tight bands of light in an LED. Red, blue, white. Other bulb techs, while sold as "blue spectrum" or "red spectrum" have more of a spread. While not technically in the sweet spot, it seems those ancillary portions of the spectrums do a plant body good. Grow well and prosper. :)🖖

these arent your general "ceiling light that just spits out 5000k" theyre grow lights specifically directed at all the things you just states.

The chart addresses spread and distance, and yeah, it does drop off. Its still double T5HOs even at 18 inches above the plants

these arent your general "ceiling light that just spits out 5000k" theyre grow lights specifically directed at all the things you just states.

The chart addresses spread and distance, and yeah, it does drop off. Its still double T5HOs even at 18 inches above the plants
Dude, I would NEVER waste my time on ceiling lights - that's somewhere between insulting and retarded. You've seen my gardens.
I've had grows with 24-30 1000 watt metal halides, I've had grows with banks of flourescent. I buy hi output LED fixtures, built for plants. They still ain't the same. Your chart does not address light spectrum spread. E.g. 3000 lumens at X distance with primarily a blue spectrum of 5500λ,. 5500 λ is the spectrum not the brightness/lumens. And you completely ignored the issue of : if your LED fixure has three types of bulbs, then it only has 3 very tight frequencies( λ) of light. Other techs inherently give a more beneficial spread. Like, is your LED fixture built for vegetative growth or flowering - there is a big spectrum difference in what is optimal and in what you should buy. Double T5HOs at what frequency? If it's not a useful frequency it's just more white light to impress the buyer and hurt their eyes.
I'll continue with them. Mainly because they are light in weight and easy to add on to incrementally.

I bought a tomato in a pot cause we have zero yard and it cane with tomatoes already on it. Got a second variety that’s farther behind for a second pot and a strawberry(again with strawberries already growing). That’s as fancy as my gardening is getting this year.

I do my research man :). Trust, I checked the color curves and made sure it fit my needs before I bought
They still need more green!!!!!! Just kidding, 5%. Green is overlooked - not needed for chlorophyll but needed for other photosynthesis. I like they didn't miss the UV, another trace spectrum that is needed.
Yeah, those test out very well, only 2-3 others even close. Not heap cheap but you got quality.

On the stretching(where I started :) ) - seemed very plant selective. Peppers were ok, eggplants grew short/normal as can be, basil & rosemary stayed short and grew very nice. Tomatoes stretched like hell. I mean, I bought 100% vining types this year but that was f'n ridiculous. I did notice while moving/turning trays that one brand of bulbs definitely was better. Same plants, same dirt, like a line down the middle of the tray based on the bulb brand above. One of the pale burples.:iono:

They still need more green!!!!!! Just kidding, 5%. Green is overlooked - not needed for chlorophyll but needed for other photosynthesis. I like they didn't miss the UV, another trace spectrum that is needed.
Yeah, those test out very well, only 2-3 others even close. Not heap cheap but you got quality.

On the stretching(where I started :) ) - seemed very plant selective. Peppers were ok, eggplants grew short/normal as can be, basil & rosemary stayed short and grew very nice. Tomatoes stretched like hell. I mean, I bought 100% vining types this year but that was f'n ridiculous. I did notice while moving/turning trays that one brand of bulbs definitely was better. Same plants, same dirt, like a line down the middle of the tray based on the bulb brand above. One of the pale burples.:iono:
yeah for the "quantum boards" the HLG is the top of the line, Spider Farmer second, and Mars Hydro third, and after that you're into not-so-good territory. Even some Mars Hydro isnt great

We'll see. Id love to get those short stubby tomatoes that are already flowered in the pots like the stores have where the stem is the size of your pinky already. Mine have always been healthy looking, but thinner stemmed

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie