Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Maybe I haven't been over there in the right places during the right time of year?

I do notice when you cross from w. Tx into NM everything suddenly gets pretty and nice and just feels different. You're still in the middle of nowhere but it's nice nowhere not shithole nowhere. There's a pretty distinct line there as far as landscapes go.
Clearly you've never crossed the border into Clovis. lol

Crossing from Texico into Clovis it's like you've crossed from nice farm country onto Fury Road. Mostly because NM's state government is so corrupt that they won't take any of the gas and oil money they're skimming and put it into the roads that gas and oil industry uses, so highway 60 into Texas is like offroading on the moon.

Clearly you've never crossed the border into Clovis. lol

Crossing from Texico into Clovis it's like you've crossed from nice farm country onto Fury Road. Mostly because NM's state government is so corrupt that they won't take any of the gas and oil money they're skimming and put it into the roads that gas and oil industry uses, so highway 60 into Texas is like offroading on the moon.

I have but too long ago to remember finer details. Was referring to landscape/scenery and not the quality of the road.

Going to Clovis from here your last impression of TX is Muleshoe. If you've ever smelled that place....thats what's gonna stick in your mind. Everything beyond is heavenly.

Last few times have been further up the panhandle and over towards Raton and Trinidad.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
Garden thread, may as well post pollinators here
@august bug stuff for you to enjoy

There's some bees in dis house, there's some bees in dis house, there's some bees in dis house, there's some bees in dis house.
NDD4X9g.jpg

Caught you!
WTF, why are there so many?
tfCYZah.jpg

SUGAR!!!
cgeJf1U.jpg

These goobers tryin to start a hive?
NMRYidD.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: august
Garden thread, may as well post pollinators here
@august bug stuff for you to enjoy

There's some bees in dis house, there's some bees in dis house, there's some bees in dis house, there's some bees in dis house.
NDD4X9g.jpg

Caught you!
WTF, why are there so many?
tfCYZah.jpg

SUGAR!!!
cgeJf1U.jpg

These goobers tryin to start a hive?
NMRYidD.jpg

You should make them a bee house.

It's common knowledge their numbers are troublingly low so I assume it's because you don't want anything to be pollinated and for the world to turn into a desolate wasteland that can no longer support life.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
It's common knowledge their numbers are troublingly low so I assume it's because you don't want anything to be pollinated and for the world to turn into a desolate wasteland that can no longer support life.
Let's try this again. I captured them, alive, and took them outside. I fed them sugarwater to reinvigorate them. All but the worst off flew away.

Why do you think I'm killing bees?

Let's try this again. I captured them, alive, and took them outside. I fed them sugarwater to reinvigorate them. All but the worst off flew away.

Why do you think I'm killing bees?

Because I interpreted that whole thing completely the wrong way?

It looked like they were toes up dead in that sugar plate or whatever that was.

My fault. I didn't read it right or see it right or something.

Good work, Mr. Asa.

• Gravy
20201031_111417(1)_resize_69.jpg

Tempting ain't it?
Stupid no hooved animals ordinance, I so need to move to the country.
Got me another chicken instead. Damn thing was so eager to get home it tried to drive there.

20201031_114349_HDR(1)_resize_75.jpg

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: wetwillie and kiwi
Beef cattle ain't bad at all if you got the land to graze them and put up enough hay for winter. Depending on where in the country you are that could be anything from 1 or 1-1/2 to several acres per cow.

Example:

We had a 15 acre spot we seeded in a perennial pasture grass blend that came back on its own every year and stayed green and growing spring through fall. Don't remember what it was but something nutritious and staggered as far as things growing, maturing, going to seed, etc. The thing was self sustaining.

Then had a 15 maybe 20 acre stand of woods they grazed through to get there. That could provide a little more feed at least in early spring but it didn't take them long to eat out the underbrush. Then they were just passing through or using it for shade on hot days. I wouldn't include the woods much in some calculation of how much to feed how many.

Then had a 15 acre alfalfa field that even with Minnesota's short growing season you were guaranteed 2 crops a year and if things went just right maybe a third that wasn't near the yield of the first two but still rich quality hay. That stuff comes back on its own every year too. You don't graze them in there, that's to bale for over winter.

That much took care of 30-35 head, mostly. On a down year you might run a little short and have to buy some late winter/early spring. On a good year you'd have a little extra to sell around the same time.

Something similar should hold true most places Mississippi River Valley and east. Out west where things are dry and sparse you're talking several acres for each head of cattle. Ranching isn't popular out there because the land is rich and bountiful or anything, it's not. It's because there's such a vast expanse of it with comparatively few people on it. Having a few thousand acres to run a few hundred cattle is no big deal.

• Gravy
Example:

We had a 15 acre spot we seeded in a perennial pasture grass blend that came back on its own every year and stayed green and growing spring through fall. Don't remember what it was but something nutritious and staggered as far as things growing, maturing, going to seed, etc. The thing was self sustaining.

Then had a 15 maybe 20 acre stand of woods they grazed through to get there. That could provide a little more feed at least in early spring but it didn't take them long to eat out the underbrush. Then they were just passing through or using it for shade on hot days. I wouldn't include the woods much in some calculation of how much to feed how many.

Then had a 15 acre alfalfa field that even with Minnesota's short growing season you were guaranteed 2 crops a year and if things went just right maybe a third that wasn't near the yield of the first two but still rich quality hay. That stuff comes back on its own every year too. You don't graze them in there, that's to bale for over winter.

That much took care of 30-35 head, mostly. On a down year you might run a little short and have to buy some late winter/early spring. On a good year you'd have a little extra to sell around the same time.

Something similar should hold true most places Mississippi River Valley and east. Out west where things are dry and sparse you're talking several acres for each head of cattle. Ranching isn't popular out there because the land is rich and bountiful or anything, it's not. It's because there's such a vast expanse of it with comparatively few people on it. Having a few thousand acres to run a few hundred cattle is no big deal.
I've seen 4,000-6,000 sq. ft. being thrown out there as what it takes to grow all the food for one vegan for a year.:oops: