Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Have maybe 14-15 that are in this jumbo category, out of a crop of almost 400(not to be harvested for 3- ish weeks). 80% will be 1-2 lbs. few dozen will be 'smalls"(golfballish). Biggest I've had of this variety was 2 lb, 11 oz., / 1.2kg. - I think this one or one of the others will be very close.
"Alicia Craig"
20200820_140424 - Edited.jpg

Lawn, not garden, but sprayed the whole lawn with a whole witches brew of nasty today : I dun like it. I hope this is a one shot thing and i can overseed in the fall, get it solid looking and never use this nasty shit again. Quinclorac for the bermuda and crabgrasses and 2-4-d for all the broadleaf stuff, although I will be reseeding clover later. Clover is good stuff

The warning on both those are terrifying, and I like my trees/ornamenetals/garden, so i went completely overboard and put physical barriers on the things i wanted to make sure no overspray got on in addition to giving them a good berth when spraying.

Dont give a shit about keeping up with the joneses or a monoculture bad for everything lawn, but i do wanna walk out there in bare feet and have it be nice, and not get all muddy in the rain and stuff.

Gonna bring in a double-axle of topsoil in about a month and reseed the whole thing. Ideally ill get a slit seeder cause my irrigation is a little sketchy.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Back down to 3 chickens.
Went out there the other day and found one laying dead. Not 100% sure why but it had laid an egg and then a little half size egg that had no shells. Just the membrane holding it together that is normally the lining on the inside of the shell.
Figured it must've been born with some defect.
No sign of disease. Others are healthy and laying.
Enough calcium in the feed alone then oyster shell on top of that if they want more.
Place is a fortress. Nothing short of a bear could get in it.
So, chalked it up to shit happens.

• Sad
Back down to 3 chickens.
Went out there the other day and found one laying dead. Not 100% sure why but it had laid an egg and then a little half size egg that had no shells. Just the membrane holding it together that is normally the lining on the inside of the shell.
Figured it must've been born with some defect.
No sign of disease. Others are healthy and laying.
Enough calcium in the feed alone then oyster shell on top of that if they want more.
Place is a fortress. Nothing short of a bear could get in it.
So, chalked it up to shit happens.
[From what I've read] THe smaller, shell-less egg isn't a sign of any great defect, it's just like a woman skipping a period. Odd but only odd. Supposedly sometimes you get an egg in a shell(small) inside an egg in a shell. IDK. Strange coincidence. Maybe it looked at what it popped out and had a heart attack. Sorry hips. :(

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
Nice!
I need to make some of those, by gum! Way my coop is outside but abuts the run, means I wouldn't even have to walk the land of chicken mines(fucking military is on my mind - heh!).

Million different ways people do them.

Through the wall to fill easy from outside.chicken-feeder.jpg

Only thing I'd say is don't use this type of fitting on the bottom if it's outside, or in someplace humid.Screenshot_20201005-061717(1).png
Did that once. The feed in the bottom never gets used, refreshed. Same stuff just sits down there and gets moldy and rotten.

Plain elbow with something for a trough on the bottom works better.T-shaped-Simple-PVC-Feeder-1-300x172.jpg

• Gravy
Million different ways people do them.

Through the wall to fill easy from outside.View attachment 12610

Only thing I'd say is don't use this type of fitting on the bottom if it's outside, or in someplace humid.View attachment 12611
Did that once. The feed in the bottom never gets used, refreshed. Same stuff just sits down there and gets moldy and rotten.

Plain elbow with something for a trough on the bottom works better.View attachment 12612
Thanks man. Yeah, I hate when there is food in their dish at end of day. It's covered but mice can come for it and as you say, just gonna get moldy. I kind of like the last one with the bucket best. I envision using two of the big straps on the vertical section but kept loose enough and you could lift the pipe to pull the bucket out periodically. Plus that big ol pipe keeps them from trying to jump in the bucket I bet. we were just discussing it here - I'mma do it! :)

• Love
Thanks man. Yeah, I hate when there is food in their dish at end of day. It's covered but mice can come for it and as you say, just gonna get moldy. I kind of like the last one with the bucket best. I envision using two of the big straps on the vertical section but kept loose enough and you could lift the pipe to pull the bucket out periodically. Plus that big ol pipe keeps them from trying to jump in the bucket I bet. we were just discussing it here - I'mma do it! :)

I just dry fit it then caulk the seams that are facing up. Keeps it rain proof but can still take it apart, reconfigured it, add or remove pieces, move it somewhere else, etc.

Indoors dry fit only without the caulk works fine.

Doesn't take long to pay for itself because of less wasted feed.

Get or make a waterer with some capacity and you can take off for a week's vacation or something and they'll be taken care of.

• Love
Could make a chicken tractor that looks like a semi tractor/18-wheeler rig and make the feed pipes the exhaust stacks.

Or the exhaust stacks on an ocean liner or tugboat.

Or orient it towards your least favorite neighbor and make them look like a middle finger.

• Haha
One other bit of advice the wife might appreciate...

Thousands of little plastic shavings fly everywhere and get in everything using power tools on that stuff. Plan your work area and choice of saw accordingly.

Skilsaw looks like one of those machines they use to make snow places where it doesn't snow.

Jig saw or sawzall with a finer metal blade makes for a lot less and less widespread mess. ;)

• Gravy
That is why I thought maples weren't native down here. We don't get any of the pretty red, orange, yellow fall colors. Just brown.
There are stands of Maples in the bosque, right around the river, where they haven't been choked out by cottonwood. They're very common up North in the higher desert. Those and Aspen make touring Northern NM in the fall a very pretty excursion.

Mostly what people plant here in Albuquerque are mulberry trees, which I hate because they're filthy, ugly trees with an awful shape. But they grow quickly, which I guess is what most folks are interested in. They're actually not legal to plant anymore within city limits (they and the Chinese elms are considered "invasive"), but there's such a surplus of them already.

• Gravy
There are stands of Maples in the bosque, right around the river, where they haven't been choked out by cottonwood. They're very common up North in the higher desert. Those and Aspen make touring Northern NM in the fall a very pretty excursion.

Mostly what people plant here in Albuquerque are mulberry trees, which I hate because they're filthy, ugly trees with an awful shape. But they grow quickly, which I guess is what most folks are interested in. They're actually not legal to plant anymore within city limits (they and the Chinese elms are considered "invasive"), but there's such a surplus of them already.

Maybe I haven't been over there in the right places during the right time of year?

I do notice when you cross from w. Tx into NM everything suddenly gets pretty and nice and just feels different. You're still in the middle of nowhere but it's nice nowhere not shithole nowhere. There's a pretty distinct line there as far as landscapes go.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum