Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

She's right. You got to be really starving to want to eat squash.

Broccoli is good though.

No kind of squash? We have a few in our family that don't like the yellow winter squashes but they'll eat summer squashes. How are you with broccoli? - I notice some overlap in our squash avoiders also being against the broc.
I’ll eat summer squash and zucchini. I love those. Also love broccoli. None of the winter squashes or pumpkin though.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I dont like squash when it tastes like squash, but if it is in something else and doesn't have an overwhelming squashy taste/texture, I don't mind it. the only other vegetables I don't like are zucchini and eggplant, and it's the same sentiment. I love broccoli tho

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Squash is decent, by itself the flavor is enh but add a bit of brown sugar/curry powder to it and it's fabulous. Having a fuckton of things means I gotta have to find new uses for it, which ain't a bad thing.

@Domon what's your pickle recipe? I've also got a pickle cucumber plant taking over the backyard and it's soon gonna be time to start picking. Guess I'll grab a home depot bucket and load 'er up with brine.

Squash is decent, by itself the flavor is enh but add a bit of brown sugar/curry powder to it and it's fabulous. Having a fuckton of things means I gotta have to find new uses for it, which ain't a bad thing.

@Domon what's your pickle recipe? I've also got a pickle cucumber plant taking over the backyard and it's soon gonna be time to start picking. Guess I'll grab a home depot bucket and load 'er up with brine.

They arent lactic acid fermented though, so you'll have to fridge em, which might not work so well with the big orange bucket

I’ll eat summer squash and zucchini. I love those. Also love broccoli. None of the winter squashes or pumpkin though.
Same as my wife. It's not a matter of you haven't had good winter squash, it's a DNA thing. Like people who can't smell asparagus pee and people who think cilantro(me) tastes like soap. We grow a type of pimpkin that has hull-less seeds and she will eat a soup made from their flesh, but it is extremely mild compared to regular pumpkins. The flesh isn't terrible orange either. *Soup has caramelized onions and ham which masks the squashiness for her.
I dont like squash when it tastes like squash, but if it is in something else and doesn't have an overwhelming squashy taste/texture, I don't mind it. the only other vegetables I don't like are zucchini and eggplant, and it's the same sentiment. I love broccoli tho
Eggplant at stores and restaurants is generally ruined because of two major turn-offs: tough, bitter skin, tough, bitter seeds. But even fresh, tender ones, as carefully caramelized brown slices so not squishy might be a turn-off. It's part of the nightshade family, only one step away from poisonous. You might taste something other people don't.
Roasted spaghetti squash.
Butternut squash, zucchini. All good stuff.
Broccoli too.
I'm forced to grow spag. squash. I think it is fine, just too plain - one a year would be fine for me. WHat's cool is when they cross with zucchini - you get nice chubby spag. squashes with green zucchin skin. FLesh that is semi-stringy. :lol:

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: august
200802607Resized20200802155351.jpg
Probably waited too long to pick these pickling cucumbers, hopefully they're not too seedy.
Got about 5 pounds of them fermenting in a simple brine with water/salt/dill/garlic/CaCl2.

Still have a bunch of them to use up. Gonna try making relish.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and ZRH
Probably waited too long to pick these pickling cucumbers, hopefully they're not too seedy.
Got about 5 pounds of them fermenting in a simple brine with water/salt/dill/garlic/CaCl2.

Still have a bunch of them to use up. Gonna try making relish.
Cold brine or hot pickle?

Never had enough shelf space for cold pickles. I make em now tho cause they only last a few weeks.

The old lady found our first egg today @wetwille .
Guessing age as we didn't get them as chicks but 6 months at the most. Maybe more like 5.
Awesome! Hoping mine aren't far behind - maybe 3-4 weeks,tops.
I just installed my roosting boxes this past week, got the ceramic egg in each one. Yes on top of some bedding.
So, the one chicken got it's leg stepped on but I splinted. It's been 15-16 days, she seems good as new.
Planted a patch of sunflowers that get multiple heads 5-6" across. I got tired of the shade they were casting and cut them down 2 days ago. CHickens DESTROY the heads.
Made a chicken tractor for the missus to drag them around the yard. 4'x8', wheels on the end not shown.117357265_3896545650362218_7848121296993641730_o.jpg

• Love
Reactions: HipHugHer
Awesome! Hoping mine aren't far behind - maybe 3-4 weeks,tops.
I just installed my roosting boxes this past week, got the ceramic egg in each one. Yes on top of some bedding.
So, the one chicken got it's leg stepped on but I splinted. It's been 15-16 days, she seems good as new.
Planted a patch of sunflowers that get multiple heads 5-6" across. I got tired of the shade they were casting and cut them down 2 days ago. CHickens DESTROY the heads.
Made a chicken tractor for the missus to drag them around the yard. 4'x8', wheels on the end not shown.View attachment 12334

You're a regular James Herriot.

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: wetwillie and Domon