Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Joel Salatine (or whatever) from Polyface Farms was on Joe Rogan, and as usual, had some really fascinating info. One of them was that a large chunk of what goes into landfills is organic table scraps and shit. There was some Northern European country (or county in the country) that offered 3 free chicks to anyone that wanted them. 4,000 families took them up on the offer. After the first month, they were already getting one ton less of waste in the landfill, cause people were feeding it all to their chickens.

The math and details might be a bit off, but you get the point. Seems obvious, but still neat to see it backed up by actual data.
City Americans can't handle raising chickens. They can barely raise their own children.

Joel Salatine (or whatever) from Polyface Farms was on Joe Rogan, and as usual, had some really fascinating info. One of them was that a large chunk of what goes into landfills is organic table scraps and shit. There was some Northern European country (or county in the country) that offered 3 free chicks to anyone that wanted them. 4,000 families took them up on the offer. After the first month, they were already getting one ton less of waste in the landfill, cause people were feeding it all to their chickens.

The math and details might be a bit off, but you get the point. Seems obvious, but still neat to see it backed up by actual data.
I totally get it. I mean, we already compost virtually anything that was ever alive. Cheap paper plates, kleenexes, paper towels with food schmutz and all food scraps. But yeah, the chickens love the scraps. I diced up two handfuls of cherry tomatoes to temp them to investigate the gangplank up to their coop. Eventually, some brave chicken took a small step for chickens, 1 giant step for chicken kind. :cool:

What’s your pickle recipe?
In this case it was 3 quarts of white vinegar, 3 quarts water, 1 1/3 cup pickling salt, about 15 cloves of garlic and a handful of fresh dill seed from the garden and a nice grinder of black pepper. All brought to boil, cucs packed into hot jars and covered with the hot(strained) liquid. 5 minutes of hot water bath - they'll be fridged as soon as they cool.

In this case it was 3 quarts of white vinegar, 3 quarts water, 1 1/3 cup pickling salt, about 15 cloves of garlic and a handful of fresh dill seed from the garden and a nice grinder of black pepper. All brought to boil, cucs packed into hot jars and covered with the hot(strained) liquid. 5 minutes of hot water bath - they'll be fridged as soon as they cool.
why hot water bath em if you're doing fridge pickles?

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I totally get it. I mean, we already compost virtually anything that was ever alive. Cheap paper plates, kleenexes, paper towels with food schmutz and all food scraps. But yeah, the chickens love the scraps. I diced up two handfuls of cherry tomatoes to temp them to investigate the gangplank up to their coop. Eventually, some brave chicken took a small step for chickens, 1 giant step for chicken kind. :cool:

First tomatoes coming in, this may be the earliest ive ever had tomatoes. Harvested 5 watermelons today too.

kiddo harvested a bunch on her own and then sat down in the middle of the garden and ate them all. I remember that from being a kid, picking fresh sun-warm tomatoes off the vine and eating em in the garden with a salt shaker. Its a good memory