Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

And the first harvest of peppers has commenced. 72 plants, 1/2 big bells, 1/2 fancies that aren't colored up yet.
View attachment 12182
Nice! i made the mistake of putting my peppers too far back in the garden this year, theyre getting too much shade and are just not growing like previous years.

Whatcha do with em? Besides fresh eating i use most mine up making salsa.

I've got a bunch of sugar baby watermelons that look at the right size, but I cant tell if theyre ready yet.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Nice! i made the mistake of putting my peppers too far back in the garden this year, theyre getting too much shade and are just not growing like previous years.

Whatcha do with em? Besides fresh eating i use most mine up making salsa.

I've got a bunch of sugar baby watermelons that look at the right size, but I cant tell if theyre ready yet.
I'll take all the big ones and make a few huge batches(90+) of stuffed peppers - they get vacuumed sealed in singles and 2+ packs. All the "shoulders"(pieces you can break off top part) and odd/small ones get chopped and frozen. I JUST opened the last bag of frozen from last year. That was close.
Fancy colored small peppers will be eaten fresh.
:eek: Shoulders - weighed some, can be 25%+ of the total usable weight of a pepper.

Sugar babies - white spot on bottom should start getting a yellow tinge around edge.

Shade - happens. I put 4 sunflowers near the back/west side but foolishly put my eggplants behind them. The eggplants are fine but seem a bit stretched. meh. At least I got my friggin bean fence to one side running east/west so it isn't shading the crap out of anything but a row of spare peppers and some mary jane. MJ is over 5', I think it will be fine.:cool:

I've got honeydews, pumpkins, Asian yard-long beans and luffas for the "odds" category this year. 400+ large onions.
Failure to launch - "Golden Nugget" grape tomato. Really good taste for a yellow tomato. 3 out of 4 crack on the vine - bastards.
"Juliet" grape tomato - glad I planted it again, 4th or 5th year. You can pick dozens and not find a cracked one. Big big for a "grape", more like a testicle.:fly:

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
honey oak with brass hardware. What is this, 1987?
They keep making it, people keep buying it. It was here and I'm not replacing it before I sell. I'll clean them good, get new hardware and tops, have the floor sanded. Damn, there is some SCHMUTZ on the lower edge of that one lower cabinet face - busy corner is all I can say.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
brass hardware is back, paired with navy blue paint.

It looks even uglier than honey oak.
I think honey oak is fine, just boring as hell. Every bathroom of this house had honey oak accessory hardware when we moved here - toilet paper holder, towel racks, SEATS FFS!!!! We've obliterated 95% of that crap.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
I'll take all the big ones and make a few huge batches(90+) of stuffed peppers - they get vacuumed sealed in singles and 2+ packs. All the "shoulders"(pieces you can break off top part) and odd/small ones get chopped and frozen. I JUST opened the last bag of frozen from last year. That was close.
:eek: Shoulders - weighed some, can be 25%+ of the total usable weight of a pepper.

Sugar babies - white spot on bottom should start getting a yellow tinge around edge.

Shade - happens. I put 4 sunflowers near the back/west side but foolishly put my eggplants behind them. The eggplants are fine but seem a bit stretched. meh. At least I got my friggin bean fence to one side running east/west so it isn't shading the crap out of anything but a row of spare peppers and some mary jane. MJ is over 5', I think it will be fine.:cool:

I've got honeydews, pumpkins, Asian yard-long beans and luffas for the "odds" category this year. 400+ large onions.
Failure to launch - "Golden Nugget" grape tomato. Really good taste for a yellow tomato. 3 out of 4 crack on the vine - bastards.
"Juliet" grape tomato - glad I planted it again, 4th or 5th year. You can pick dozens and not find a cracked one. Big big for a "grape", more like a testicle.:fly:

This makes me want stuffed peppers.

• Love

Juliets are nice and disease resistant too.

The weird thing about my Sugar Babies is they dont have a spot, white or otherwise.

Theyre deep stripey green on all sides evenly

Juliets are nice and disease resistant too.

The weird thing about my Sugar Babies is they dont have a spot, white or otherwise.

Theyre deep stripey green on all sides evenly
Kind doubt they're ready. What are those 85 days until ripe? IIRC you were lying in bed, sick AF at mid April(sorry, just saying). You need to give them a few weeks.

Kind doubt they're ready. What are those 85 days until ripe? IIRC you were lying in bed, sick AF at mid April(sorry, just saying). You need to give them a few weeks.
75. I was a dumbass and didnt write down when i planted.

@Domon , @HipHugHer
The wife says "oh damn, tent worms are all over some branches on that mulberry, I'll have to cut them. Whadya think, burn them?"
Me(dog tired) "sure".
She comes in 15 minutes later "I gave the branches to the chickens, they destroyed them going after the worms.":haaay: lil worms.
Damn I love how she thinks sometimes.:heart:

• Gravy
@Domon , @HipHugHer
The wife says "oh damn, tent worms are all over some branches on that mulberry, I'll have to cut them. Whadya think, burn them?"
Me(dog tired) "sure".
She comes in 15 minutes later "I gave the branches to the chickens, they destroyed them going after the worms.":haaay: lil worms.

even better.

@HipHugHer - I sang a lot of Alice Cooper while I worked. Them bitches better appreciate it!! Still need some trim and such. They got a row of glass block windows that were left over from something else. Metal siding roof leftover from my pole barn. 3 roosting boxes that stick out the one side but are only accessible from inside(to the ckickens, egg roll out to covered trays). Natural locust branches 18" off the stainless mesh floor go across the 4'X6' interior on the diagonal for roosting poles. 40" tall at short end, 48" at tall end.
" AWW -BABY IF YOU WANNA, BE MY CHICKEN, YOU BETTER TAKE ME HOME . . . . "

Attachments

• Chickenwindow-min.jpg
    Chickenwindow-min.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4
  • Backside-min.jpg
    Backside-min.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5
@HipHugHer - I sang a lot of Alice Cooper while I worked. Them bitches better appreciate it!! Still need some trim and such. They got a row of glass block windows that were left over from something else. Metal siding roof leftover from my pole barn. 3 roosting boxes that stick out the one side but are only accessible from inside(to the ckickens, egg roll out to covered trays). Natural locust branches 18" off the stainless mesh floor go across the 4'X6' interior on the diagonal for roosting poles. 40" tall at short end, 48" at tall end.
" AWW -BABY IF YOU WANNA, BE MY CHICKEN, YOU BETTER TAKE ME HOME . . . . "

I could live in that. Good work, man!

• Gravy
I could live in that. Good work, man!
Thanks!
Really wouldn't be bad for a dude our mutual dimensions - almost 7' diagonally.. Would need a little wire going through a hole on the door - to unlatch the 40"X 48" "entrance door so you could get back out. No way either one of us is making it through an 11"X 19" "chicken door". Nor would the 1X12 pine gang-plank hold our weight. :fly:

• Haha
Thanks!
Really wouldn't be bad for a dude our mutual dimensions - almost 7' diagonally.. Would need a little wire going through a hole on the door - to unlatch the 40"X 48" "entrance door so you could get back out. No way either one of us is making it through an 11"X 19" "chicken door". Nor would the 1X12 pine gang-plank hold our weight. :fly:

It's a fine coop.

Ours is 2x4 framing and I think 1/2 or 5/8 plywood floor 'cause that's what I had. It'd hold me if I could fit in it.

It's also some other odd, not really standard dimensions as that's the size of the siding cutoffs I had, lol.

• Gravy
@Domon , @HipHugHer
Me(dog tired) "sure".
Joel Salatine (or whatever) from Polyface Farms was on Joe Rogan, and as usual, had some really fascinating info. One of them was that a large chunk of what goes into landfills is organic table scraps and shit. There was some Northern European country (or county in the country) that offered 3 free chicks to anyone that wanted them. 4,000 families took them up on the offer. After the first month, they were already getting one ton less of waste in the landfill, cause people were feeding it all to their chickens.

The math and details might be a bit off, but you get the point. Seems obvious, but still neat to see it backed up by actual data.