Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Yup, we had 60-80 all throughout Friday night.

Fortunately, I'd taken down the dead tree, so all I woke up to on Saturday was rain and a bunch of blown-out mimosa blooms and birb nests (which Scout thoroughly enjoyed).
The strangest thing here was the winds were coming from the east. And they never come from the east.

Took 4 of the pepper plants we started and put them in a couple window boxes on the deck we had.

Got 6 more that will go in the garden.

Took 2 tomatoes we started and put them in decent pots up on the deck as well.

Got maybe 5 more that can go in the garden.

Started them in March not expecting them to start and then live.

Peppers are Cali Wonder. Tomatoes are some sort of orange or yellow slicer.

Next year we’ll definitely at least do peppers. Got a good system for them I think.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Tomatoes: Waist high right now, growing like mad. Minor signs of septoria leaf spot but im confident in the regime i used last year that kept it from being devastating.

Zucchini, might actually get a few this year before the borers kill em: Will replant

Peppers are meh thus far, healthy but not taking off. They need heat which we dont have yet

Beets and turnips are both growing like mad. Should actually have an early harvest on both and maybe can do a second crop.

cukes are moving slow... we'll see if introducing a copper fungicide keeps em alive. I doubt it.

@OOD @HipHugHer :( One of my chicken's kicked the clucket. Other 11 are looking good and getting sassy. They have a 10'X20' pen. It rained last night and they played "capture the flag" with worms this morning. :)
Heart attack?

If I get a shit load of chickens will they eat all the bahia grass in the yard?

• Gravy
@OOD @HipHugHer :( One of my chicken's kicked the clucket. Other 11 are looking good and getting sassy. They have a 10'X20' pen. It rained last night and they played "capture the flag" with worms this morning. :)

Good news....mostly!

Losing one out of a batch of a dozen chicks isn't all that uncommon. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the others are looking and acting healthy.

Pecking order is a real thing, somebody has to be on the bottom.
If one is getting beat up too much or kept away from food it helps to put feed in a couple different spots and just scatter some on the ground. Then the ones at the bottom of the totem pole can always get some food as the ones at the top have too many places to defend they can't cover them all.

Also when it gets real hot in the summer we give them a shallow pan, upside down trashcan lid, smallest size kiddie pool, something that'll hold a couple/three inches of water for them to wade in. Not so deep it's up to their bellies or they feel like they have to swim though.

They'll stand in there now and then to help cool through their feet as the blood vessels run right under the skin with no feathers insulating.

Might only be applicable there in the very hottest month or something. Down here we worry about keeping them cool as much or more than keeping them warm.
If you see them panting like a dog a lot and getting lethargic in the heat, try that.

I put our coop and run area in a spot that's shaded most of the day and especially in the afternoon and still give them a wading pool but you not gonna have some condition where it's 100 degrees for weeks.

• Gravy
When those things all start laying at the same time you can be getting 3 dozen eggs per week. Prepare to store/sell/give away some before that kicks in full speed and you get overwhelmed.

I just paid $30 for a 50 pound sack of pelletized commercial chicken feed but it's non-gmo complete vitamin regimen with omega 3 and calcium soy free with essential amino acids no corn having hippy fucking dippy chicken feed so there's that.

I'd rather them have this, along with some dried meal worms and natural grains and what bugs and worms they can get than just putting them on the Monsanto Tyson program.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I just paid $30 for a 50 pound sack of pelletized commercial chicken feed but it's non-gmo complete vitamin regimen with omega 3 and calcium soy free with essential amino acids no corn having hippy fucking dippy chicken feed so there's that.

I'd rather them have this, along with some dried meal worms and natural grains and what bugs and worms they can get than just putting them on the Monsanto Tyson program.
:cool:
Wow, thanks man! We started with the medicated food, now brought a big bag of "scratch grains"?(mostly cracked corn with some wheat and other shit. No fighting over food or territory yet. THey have one of those feeders that looks like an egg carton with holes in the top. We fill that and throw an equal amount on the ground. Wife was marveling at how they tear up the ground and I was like "well, in a perfect world we'd clear the area next to the pen and move the run every few months". She was like "damn, we're thinking alike!"
Their run is 2/3 of the way under a locust tree, the run has tarp at one end. But we'll do the pan of water - wife visited a friend and they had an old kiddie pool for that.
Weird about the one that croaked - all were looking good, few minute later one is clucked. I need to build a coop stat - chasing chickens to pack them away for the night s a bit of a drag. Especially after a few beers and such. Plus I almost slipped in the chicken doo and have been nursing a pulled muscle as a consequence.
Chickens love rotten strawberries.:happy:

They should want to come in on their own when it gets dark if they know where home is. Sometimes it works better to lead them instead of chase them. Be the rooster they don't have lol.
Lure them in with some treats.
Can also try leaving a light on in the garage or wherever ypure keeping them. Sometimes they'll go towards the light cause they can't see shit in the dark. Then shut it off when they're all in.

• Love