Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

He'll definitely have them. The number one trick to avoiding them is to plant your crop later. They want to lay their eggs on bigger plants but are generally gone by 4-ish weeks after last frost.

Nope. Don’t get them.

And we have something that murders the hornworms.

The only thing we get is little white grubs in the blowed up tomatoes.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
mine are already in the ground, but ill replant if they kill em in july. For the ones in the ground ill try burying the root stems in soil as they get big so the moths can only lay eggs on individual leaf branches rather than the main stem
@Frau Blugher mentioned the another way to go at them - cut the stem open carefully, hook out the grubs, and then bury them. It's amazing what they can take. The plants. Agreed on burying or mulching the main stem but the baby ones will crawl down the leaf stems until they feel there is a good place to burrow in. Vexing little fucks! Positive gardening vibes to all.:cool:

@wetwille sent me a partial block of lion's mane. It's apparently liking the new home and has started fruiting already.

I've got it growing on plates already too. Looking forward to the good eating coming up!

IMG_20200518_061223~2.jpg

• Love
Brought home eight , 5'X16' sections of cattle fence on the roof of the SUV last night, along with twelve 8' poles. Yes I cut them to 5'X8' first - missus sat in the car @HipHugHer - I did all the man work of snipping the fence with the bolt cutter and loading it up. She did get out and help when I tossed the rachet strap across. Hope I still have my man card. :)
Tired of the beans running out of fence on the vertical. 8' should do nicely. Plus I'll run some melons up it at on one section.

Brought home eight , 5'X16' sections of cattle fence on the roof of the SUV last night, along with twelve 8' poles. Yes I cut them to 5'X8' first - missus sat in the car @HipHugHer - I did all the man work of snipping the fence with the bolt cutter and loading it up. She did get out and help when I tossed the rachet strap across. Hope I still have my man card. :)
Tired of the beans running out of fence on the vertical. 8' should do nicely. Plus I'll run some melons up it at on one section.

trellises are the best. I do mine in "tents". one vertical leaning against the other at about a 60 degree angle to form an upsidedown v. Then if they climb the whole 8 feet, they can just climb down the other side. Also gives you a nice area underneath to grown small shade-loving stuff

I used old fishing nets so i could do an 8x8 rather than a 5x8, but my tomato trellises are made with the 5x8 panels you got. Works great

• Love
200607910Resized20200607122459.jpg
Got the herb garden planted. 3 x Lemon Skunk + 1 x Critical 2.0

In that area there's about 3 inches of topsoil on top of clay. I dug holes about 18" deep/across and fired in some soil, then transplanted the plants in there. Should give the roots a bit more room and help retain a bit of water.

And yes, I'm using cheap temporary #povertyfence to keep the deer out. I'm growing dope so a minimum level of sketchiness is required.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: wetwillie and Domon
Got the herb garden planted. 3 x Lemon Skunk + 1 x Critical 2.0

In that area there's about 3 inches of topsoil on top of clay. I dug holes about 18" deep/across and fired in some soil, then transplanted the plants in there. Should give the roots a bit more room and help retain a bit of water.

And yes, I'm using cheap temporary #povertyfence to keep the deer out. I'm growing dope so a minimum level of sketchiness is required.
legalish in canada now?

legalish in canada now?
Yup. Legal to grow up to 4 plants per household canada-wide. Municipalities are allowed to place restrictions on things like plants being visible from the road/neighbors/whatever, or even require growing indoors. Not here in farm country.

Outdoor plants ideally give you about a pound of weed each, so I'll probably end up giving away most of it.

• Haha