Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

I'm not a sadist. You have this classified all wrong. Ok, I did display the woodchucks slightly garishly. But they deserved ut, they've destroyed the floor of my pole barn with their burrowing. I'm trying to be a better man about it now.
I know man, mostly talking shit.

Keep your marksmanship up to snuff, make it clean and quick.
Or build a fence.

Lows not highs. Highs are still in the 90s all week but at least no triple digits in the forecast after tomorrow.

I know man, mostly talking shit.

Keep your marksmanship up to snuff, make it clean and quick.
Or build a fence.
I got that man - plus, my sig, states how I feel about it all. ;)
I have fences for my garden, I'm not fencing 3.5 acres. So why kill the animals? E.g. I have a nice Scotch pine I planted 16 years ago, it's 30 feet tall. And either a bunny or a woodchuck has a hole directly against the base of it. The loss of that tree would ruin the treeline and to replace it would probably cost $2-3k, not counting removal of the old one. Critter is gonna die. Quickly.
Final ponderings on this topic.
If you wear a leather belt, shoes or jacket, are you just reveling in being a human who wears the hide of dead animals?
Animal rights activists would say yes.
Is taking a picture of a pork chop you just cooked, on a higher moral ground than posing with a rabbit you just killed? I think not, it's just more sociably acceptable. To most meat-eaters.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I got that man - plus, my sig, states how I feel about it all. ;)
I have fences for my garden, I'm not fencing 3.5 acres. So why kill the animals? E.g. I have a nice Scotch pine I planted 16 years ago, it's 30 feet tall. And either a bunny or a woodchuck has a hole directly against the base of it. The loss of that tree would ruin the treeline and to replace it would probably cost $2-3k, not counting removal of the old one. Critter is gonna die. Quickly.
Final ponderings on this topic.
If you wear a leather belt, shoes or jacket, are you just reveling in being a human who wears the hide of dead animals?
Animal rights activists would say yes.
Is taking a picture of a pork chop you just cooked, on a higher moral ground than posing with a rabbit you just killed? I think not, it's just more sociably acceptable. To fellow meat-eaters.

Could be rabbit if you have something other than cottontails, they don't dig the deep burrows other kinds do.
More likely another woodchuck.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Could be rabbit if you have something other than cottontails, they don't dig the deep burrows other kinds do.
More likely another woodchuck.
Agreed, probably my nemesis, the groundhogs. Yeah, friggin cottontails(all we have but that odd one I saw recently) will make a nest in the middle of the grass if you don't mow. Crows dig that -(mowing over them) rabbit and vole sushi, in nice tasty bites. Just saying.

• Gravy
Agreed, probably my nemesis, the groundhogs. Yeah, friggin cottontails(all we have but that odd one I saw recently) will make a nest in the middle of the grass if you don't mow. Crows dig that -(mowing over them) rabbit and vole sushi, in nice tasty bites. Just saying.

Dad brought home a little young one one time the hay mower (sickle mower) clipped the top of its ear off. We doctored it up and let it go back where it was after we baled the hay.

Always had them around but not enough to be a nuisance . Was enough hawk and owl and fox and at least one bobcat around to keep things in balance.

You should get you a bobcat, then trick the wife into being outside alone at night when it screams, hehe.

Not even going to THINK about putting these out for about 3 weeks. THey're getting 12 hours of outdoor time daily. Old door bolted to even older cart - gets rolled into the garage each night. *In fall that same cart-ish is used for drying the onion crop without leaving them out to get wet from morning dew.
IMG_20200507_131933.jpg

• Gravy
@HipHugHer - on reflection, I believe I've only shot a bird one time in last 30-40 years. Friggin woodpecker kept drilling holes THROUGH the rough-sawn wood trim of the house - had to bring that shit to a rest. Besides, the lady of the house would kick my ass. We actively feed the birds - and Monarch butterflies. Several thousand milkweed seeds get collected and spread here each year.

• Love
@HipHugHer - on reflection, I believe I've only shot a bird one time in last 30-40 years. Friggin woodpecker kept drilling holes THROUGH the rough-sawn wood trim of the house - had to bring that shit to a rest. Besides, the lady of the house would kick my ass. We actively feed the birds - and Monarch butterflies. Several thousand milkweed seeds get collected and spread here each year.

I love duck, pheasant, goose. We hunted those, but didn't overdo it. Always left plenty to keep the population up.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
The low here is 60F tonight. Like what in the actual fuck.

Tin foil hat: I have a theory that the massive reduction in automotive CO2 is causing some sort of atmospheric shock to weather patterns.
View attachment 11614
I could same day delivery you a winter coat. :D

I totally believe the sky has cleared up. I'm out in the sticks and the night sky has seemed clearer and starrier than ever. Venus was just glowing a few days back.

I'll let it stand seeing as Bobcat has the status of Kleenex or Q-tip or Sawzall where the brand is the name of the thing.

giphy.gif

We can’t decide what to put in the greenhouse.

Thoughts?

Weed.

OK, is the purpose of the greenhouse to extend the growing season or grow in winter or just have more control over the environment or what.

Really no limit to what you could do in there. I'd just use it for whatever you like that doesn't already do well outside.

• Love
Reactions: Immigrant