Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

colorado potato beetles also fucking up my eggplants., Assholes.

also, these dudes

i havent looked up what they are yet, but they actually dont seem to be doing any damage yet
bugs bad.
BItter melon, cool.
I've got a brave-ass woodchuck running around. He was eating clover in the middle of the lawn and i just walked right up to him the other day. Got within 2 feet before he leisurely ambled off. Its a little weird to be honest, makes me worry about rabies
That is very, very weird. Something not right with that one. I just used part of a bucket of zinc phosphide poison pellets. The zinc is nice as no secondary poisoning of animals that eat the target animal . . appears my hope of taking out a few of the chipmunks worked at same time. I miss them already ;)

tomatoes and peppers both look solid this year, cukes are not good. Im ok with that, im outta salsa and need tomatos and peppers for that.

I have jalapenos ready, shishitos will be ready within the week, and the bells are slow as shit per usual.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I figure I'll pick a few 6"+ zucchini and yellow summer squash this weekend which is amazing considering I didn't start the seed, inside, until June 2nd or so, due to continuous cold rain/soil.

Wife: "mm, that tomato is good, better than last years variety.
Me: :oops: Same variety as last year. "Juliet" - not a single one cracked on the plant last year, extremely rare for one to crack after picking. I like that - few things nastier than biting into a tomato that has started to turn.
Onions and leeks growing like a mother fucker. About 350 spanish onion plants, necks are thicker than my thumb. Ditto for the 104 leeks.

Just got four different Hostas. :D
Got any of the big ones with the huge leaves? ;) They're more resistant to slugs than the short ones, if you have that issue. Of course, a pet lizard or turtle would be happy to help with any slugs. Mine always were - and the hostas never failed to have them if you get out there early.

Attachments

• 1562868539022.png
    1562868539022.png
    579 KB · Views: 0
Got any of the big ones with the huge leaves? ;) They're more resistant to slugs than the short ones, if you have that issue. Of course, a pet lizard or turtle would be happy to help with any slugs. Mine always were - and the hostas never failed to have them if you get out there early.
Yaup! Got a Big Boy version and a few others. Not too many slugs out here it seems.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Fucking hippy garden :D

76 peppers, 28 collard, 28 brussels sprouts, 18 cherry tomatoes, 18 beefsteak tomatoes, 12 eggplants, 14 summer squash, 18 pumpkin(mini, hull-less seed type), 104 leeks, 350 spanish onions(yuge), about 100 parsnips, 24 rutabaga, 36 ground cherries, 25' of climbing Italian green beans, mint, basil, lemon verbena, lemon grass(yummy Asian pork ;) ), strawberries in raised bed at front. Slight elevation shot from behind strawberry bed.

Last edited:
Fucking hippy garden :D
View attachment 8500

76 peppers, 28 collard, 28 brussels sprouts, 18 cherry tomatoes, 18 beefsteak tomatoes, 12 eggplants, 14 summer squash, 18 pumpkin(mini, hull-less seed type), 104 leeks, 350 spanish onions(yuge), about 100 parsnips, 24 rutabaga, 36 ground cherries, 25' of climbing Italian green beans, mint, basil, lemon verbena, lemon grass(yummy Asian pork ;) ), strawberries in raised bed at front. Slight elevation shot from behind strawberry bed.

Everyone will be green beans with envy, Eddie.

I'm not sure what to do with all the fucking radishes we have.

We can only jar so many.

Hopefully the neighbors take the ones we have put out.
pickle em.

oh, our turnips are also recovering after i put spinosid on em. Thats good shit.