Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

True. Hips probably identified the best add-on for my current 4' fencing with the 2' tall 1/2" square holed crap. If I had a teenager who wanted to make some $$ I'd pay them to dig a trench all the way around so I could ruun the stuff below into the ground 1/3-1/2 meter.
Amazon product ASIN B01BCU5FJC

That was my next suggestion. Run it into the ground a foot and then horizontally out away from the fence a foot.

Yes this involves digging a 12" x 12" ditch and then filling it in again. I did that around an 8' x 12' chicken enclosure with a pick and shovel. Took longer than expected. Getting old sucks.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
nothings fool proof.

I'm also augmented with electric fence though, they cant just sit there and take their time gnawing on the wire (or climbing over) if theyre touching a fence wire that gonna shock then every .75 seconds.

Been thinking about growing some stuff around the house. They make snazy indoor greenhouse tents with lights and everything.

Change my mind.

Start with potted herb, tomato, and pepper plants in the windows.

Been thinking about growing some stuff around the house. They make snazy indoor greenhouse tents with lights and everything.

Change my mind.
DO it. They are nicer than ever and the CHinese knock that shit out. I've had tents from 2'X'3X6' tall to a 9'X16" X7' tall that filled one bay of my garage. Get one of the "canvas coated with shiney shit on the inside" ones, not the clear ones, much sturdier.
LEDs are nice(and getting nicer all the time) but they don't have as much intensity so the light falls off quickly if you are growing taller stuff - the lower parts suffer a bit beyond maybe 18" from LEDs. Windows are very inconsistent and generally give strong light part of day, nothing the rest of day so you end up with stretched POS plants unless you have the perfect south facing window. Even then.

Last edited:
You make gardening more fun than it should be, Eddie.
"psst, strings, look at the zucchini under here. You'll have to get down on your knees, that's it, now lean forward a bit." Also known as a ground cherry. :fly:
@HipHugHer - last year I had 6 ground cherries, this year I think I have 38(39?), and ironically a wild one came up next to them which will be neat to compare, side-by-side.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
first zuchinnis ready too. the plants are hit by squash borers already :/ but i knew it was coming, hopefully i get 5-10 more before they completely kill the plants

colorado potato beetles also fucking up my eggplants., Assholes.

also, these dudes

i havent looked up what they are yet, but they actually dont seem to be doing any damage yet

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I've got a brave-ass woodchuck running around. He was eating clover in the middle of the lawn and i just walked right up to him the other day. Got within 2 feet before he leisurely ambled off. Its a little weird to be honest, makes me worry about rabies

I've got a brave-ass woodchuck running around. He was eating clover in the middle of the lawn and i just walked right up to him the other day. Got within 2 feet before he leisurely ambled off. Its a little weird to be honest, makes me worry about rabies

I was gonna mention rabies, then I finished reading.

at least he's ignoring your wood.