Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

Amstel

The Hoarse Whisperer
Jul 12, 2009
you're a whore, but in a good way. Kindof.
Marklar
₥43,516
@Valve1138 Hey, you know the 4H groups around are doing 'seed swaps' soon for this summer. You might be able to get some non-gmo stuff if you're interested.

This is what came in for me. You might have some link on the extension website in your area.
The Master Gardeners already have many seeds on hand, including a wide variety of vegetables, flowers, and herbs. Native plant seeds will be available as well. All pre-event seeds collected will be labeled and come with care instructions.​

Gardeners also can bring seeds to share if they have them. Please make sure they are fresh, labeled and not from F1 hybrids, so they grow true to type.

For more information on seed types, saving seeds and the event, visit go.illinois.edu/kenMGseedswap

@Valve1138 Hey, you know the 4H groups around are doing 'seed swaps' soon for this summer. You might be able to get some non-gmo stuff if you're interested.

This is what came in for me. You might have some link on the extension website in your area.
The Master Gardeners already have many seeds on hand, including a wide variety of vegetables, flowers, and herbs. Native plant seeds will be available as well. All pre-event seeds collected will be labeled and come with care instructions.​
Gardeners also can bring seeds to share if they have them. Please make sure they are fresh, labeled and not from F1 hybrids, so they grow true to type.​
For more information on seed types, saving seeds and the event, visit go.illinois.edu/kenMGseedswap

We grow almost exclusively GMO stuff. :fly:

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and fly
only thing nice about heirloom stuff is you can collect your own seeds. Also, there aint too many actual GMO veggies for people like valve and I, tons of hybrids, but that shit isnt gmo. GMO stuff is all things like mass quantity roundup resistant grain, etc.
Yeah, I know. It was really just my lame attempt to point out the stupid fear-mongering around GMO. I really wish we spent more time educating people about issues they don't understand.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Give it another generation or 2. Roundup-ready GMO will be the new asbestos and tobacco.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Give it another generation or 2. Roundup-ready GMO will be the new asbestos and tobacco.
The danger is presumed to be not so directly to us as there is worry about the Roundup Ready(resistance) gene getting into other related plants and/or creating Superweeds. Although, it is kind of creepy to think the gene was pulled out of a bacterium and put in a plant.

Twenty-four cases of glyphosate(Roundup)-resistant weeds have been reported around the world, 14 of which are in the United States. http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/roundup-ready-crops/

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
The danger is presumed to be not so directly to us as there is worry about the Roundup Ready(resistance) gene getting into other related plants and/or creating Superweeds. /

gene mods happen naturally as well. we're just nudging things in various directions that we think will help us with no exact long term idea how it will unfold.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
gene mods happen naturally as well. we're just nudging things in various directions that we think will help us with no exact long term idea how it will unfold.
NO, way off on this. Gene mods created via trades between flora and fauna happen like "never" in nature. Hard as fuck to do even in the lab.
Otherwise we'd have more Groots.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
The danger is presumed to be not so directly to us as there is worry about the Roundup Ready(resistance) gene getting into other related plants and/or creating Superweeds. Although, it is kind of creepy to think the gene was pulled out of a bacterium and put in a plant.

Twenty-four cases of glyphosate(Roundup)-resistant weeds have been reported around the world, 14 of which are in the United States. http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/roundup-ready-crops/
I mean... duh.

That's to be expected and is exactly how nature works. It doesn't mean we can't stay a step ahead if people would stop getting freaked out by killer tomatoes and actually learn something.