Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

Why do they need some "institute" to study what is ancient knowledge?

People have collected and processed urine for various things for at least centuries if not millennia. For one it was their source of salt peter (potassium nitrate) for making black powder. Was known as fertilizer long before that.

Hopefully they're just looking at more industrialized/efficient processing. It's not like they stumbled on some novel idea.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
While refreshing the memory banks via Wikipee I found this under "Adverse Effects"
Many animals (e.g., dogs) have a much more concentrated urine and it contains a higher urea amount than normal human urine; this can prove dangerous as a source of liquids for consumption in a life-threatening situation (such as in a desert).

So no drinking dog piss - ya freaks!

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

People have collected and processed urine for various things for at least centuries if not millennia. For one it was their source of salt peter (potassium nitrate) for making black powder. Was known as fertilizer long before that.

Hopefully they're just looking at more industrialized/efficient processing. It's not like they stumbled on some novel idea.
Pretty sure they're investigating something novel, not just "blast it with piss".

They’re specifically after phosphorus. I guess they should’ve prayed over it or did the Kreskin to figure out it was there and how to collect it, etc.

Science bad.

Huh. It really doesn’t come that naturally.

They’re specifically after phosphorus. I guess they should’ve prayed over it or did the Kreskin to figure out it was there and how to collect it, etc.

Science bad.

Huh. It really doesn’t come that naturally.
They've know it was there since the 1600s - old school glow-in-the-dark things were made from piss based phosphorus but the phosphorus had to be kept under water. Seriously, some chemist figured out to boil some piss after adding charcoal and have the fumes bubble into some clean water. Voila - phosphorus. This is a hunt for better method to extract it.

They've know it was there since the 1600s - old school glow-in-the-dark things were made from piss based phosphorus but the phosphorus had to be kept under water. Seriously, some chemist figured out to boil some piss after adding charcoal and have the fumes bubble into some clean water. Voila - phosphorus. This is a hunt for better method to extract it.

Yeah. My knee jerk reaction stems from anything being science related being shot down by those who think it’s a waste of time to study anything at length to find a better way.

I’m a little sick of the whole “scientists are stupid and a waste of money” drumbeat. I hear it way too often.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Yeah. My knee jerk reaction stems from anything being science related being shot down by those who think it’s a waste of time to study anything at length to find a better way.

I’m a little sick of the whole “scientists are stupid and a waste of money” drumbeat. I hear it way too often.

Dude, I specifically said I hope they're just looking at better processing or something to that effect.

The first little interview clip (didn't hear the second one) came off as though this is some new thing. They should have said, "this has been known for centuries but through modern methods we could....".

As it is it came off as though they were hyping it up, fishing for grants or donations or more media exposure. Or at minimum don't explain themselves very well.

If they're the brains behind it they need to just do that and hire a spokesman or something.

Dude, I specifically said I hope they're just looking at better processing or something to that effect.

The first little interview clip (didn't hear the second one) came off as though this is some new thing. They should have said, "this has been known for centuries but through modern methods we could....".

As it is it came off as though they were hyping it up, fishing for grants or donations or more media exposure. Or at minimum don't explain themselves very well.

If they're the brains behind it they need to just do that and hire a spokesman or something.

• Love
Not that venison is great meat, but i wish i wasnt such a softie for animals. Thats a lotta meat for the price of a little labor and a small permit fee

• Gravy
I go talk to a real human at the front counter over at the department of parks and wildlife (DNR for you northerners) for my licenses.
Something like that shouldn't even be allowed over the internet. People could just bullshit it.

I go talk to a real human at the front counter over at the department of parks and wildlife (DNR for you northerners) for my licenses.
Something like that shouldn't even be allowed over the internet. People could just bullshit it.
THey had my driver's license number on the license - I erased it and fucked up the QRE code because that probably shows it too - I didnt check although I have the ability to do so

I have an account with DNR - their system recognized me from past years. I don't always get that at a counter. And really what's the upside to seeing a human for this. A human might fuck it up - their internet setup seems rock solid. I like computers except for when I don't.

I considered posting in Sports but hunting is not a sport. I feel a bit sad for the life I've take but I also feel sad for the few hundred people who die in car vs. deer collisions in my state each year. It's more like respectful harvesting. Those deer have a good life compared to the cows most of these folks eat. DO they feel any guilt or shame over their steak or burger and how that animal lived a miserable life every day until it died? Not A Fucking Bit.

JImmys were rustled it appears. PUnking a man over the dpi of a hunting license posted online. :fly: Lame as fuck.