Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

you've gotta augment somehow though dontcha? Your soil would be exhausted in a couple years if you arent bringing in manure or compost, or something
Every year is done the same. Thick layer of cardboard, all grass clippings added on top. I use one 40 lb. bag of Miloganite to side dress some of the plants that like extra nitrogen - not all do,e.g carrots, rutabaga,turnips. Even peppers and tomatoes produce much better if they start to run out of excess nitrogen as they go into fruiting, otherwise you are pushing them to keep producing vegetation instead of going to the end game of keeping their species going through seeding.fruiting. Cannabis too for those into that. Most people over fertilize like hell, spreading manure means you are feeding any weeds. Side-dressing your actual plants means the food is where it is needed.
I've been doing the organic gardening thing since 1981. I'll stand on my (unabashedly) awesome results. $1500 worth of produce in 2000 sq. feet. * I also don't plant in rows unless absolutely necessary. A carrot seed pack says 4" apart in rows 2 feet apart. FUck that - plant on a grid, all 6" apart in a bed 3-4' wide and never walk between them. 40-80% more production.

I seem to remember a short thing (insert joke here) on NPR about harvesting pee because of a nutrient that we need and it makes gardening either more bountiful or enjoyable or whatnot, cuz I don’t fuckin know.
Urea -tons of nitrogen. Dog's pissing on the lawn creating dead spots - killing the grass with kindness.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Every year is done the same. Thick layer of cardboard, all grass clippings added on top. I use one 40 lb. bag of Miloganite to side dress some of the plants that like extra nitrogen - not all do,e.g carrots, rutabaga,turnips. Even peppers and tomatoes produce much better if they start to run out of excess nitrogen as they go into fruiting, otherwise you are pushing them to keep producing vegetation instead of going to the end game of keeping their species going through seeding.fruiting. Cannabis too for those into that. Most people over fertilize like hell, spreading manure means you are feeding any weeds. Side-dressing your actual plants means the food is where it is needed.
I've been doing the organic gardening thing since 1981. I'll stand on my (unabashedly) awesome results. $1500 worth of produce in 2000 sq. feet. * I also don't plant in rows unless absolutely necessary. A carrot seed pack says 4" apart in rows 2 feet apart. FUck that - plant on a grid, all 6" apart in a bed 3-4' wide and never walk between them. 40-80% more production.
When we move im gonna fly you in to help get our garden all set up k.

Farmers used to rest fields between crops.
Crop rotation. Using the same soil endlessly without rest is bad.
Resting the field was often more than mere "rest". Grow corn and fertilize like fuck - then seed the field with thistle, with it's up to 20' roots, to bring nutrients back up, mow that shit down before it goes to seed. Or just use the liquid death shit from Monsanto - uh, no. Clover and beans - both sequester nitrogen into the soil with their roots.
@Domon -ah, I also give most plants, especially of nightshade family a teaspoon of epsom salts(magnesium sulfate) and I broadcast maybe 1 cup of born(borax) to the entire garden every few years via a siphon going into the sprinkler. "Azomite" is good if you suspect mineral deficiencies.

• Love
Reactions: Domon
Resting the field was often more than mere "rest". Grow corn and fertilize like fuck - then seed the field with thistle, with it's up to 20' roots, to bring nutrients back up, mow that shit down before it goes to seed. Or just use the liquid death shit from Monsanto - uh, no. Clover and beans - both sequester nitrogen into the soil with their roots.
@Domon -ah, I also give most plants, especially of nightshade family a teaspoon of epsom salts(magnesium sulfate) and I broadcast maybe 1 cup of born(borax) to the entire garden every few years via a siphon going into the sprinkler. "Azomite" is good if you suspect mineral deficiencies.

We always swapped which fields we put soybeans and corn in each year for this reason. I didn't know the specifics of it at the time but knew the beans put back in what the corn took out.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
I guess this makes your the grazing beast.:p
“Six years you shall sow your land and gather in its produce, but the seventh year you shall let it rest and lie fallow, that the poor of your people may eat; and what they leave, the beasts of the field may eat."

Most of us are, Eddie.

• Haha
Oklahoma soil died because it was prarie. Tilling destroyed a delicate soil ecosystem.

The native prairie grasses had roots that went way, way deep. Helped to hold everything in place. Also got grazed and fertilized from the top down by millions of Buffalo and other critters.
Occasional fire is also good for the land.

• Love