Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

sauce mill is great, but its still (even with romas) a crazy ratio of starting to endning ingredients.

its usually 2 pounds of tomatoes per cup of sauce.
i use almost all of it except the skin and a bit of the top part (i remove those after boiling the tomatoes) then i crush everything while making the sauce
i must be discarding 10% max

i use almost all of it except the skin and a bit of the top part (i remove those after boiling the tomatoes) then i crush everything while making the sauce
i must be discarding 10% max

its all the water you're removing. Tomatoes are mostly water.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
its all the water you're removing. Tomatoes are mostly water.
It depends on the consistency you're going for.

My sauce is fairly thick, but not paste-thick. When I make it from commercial canned products, I use a #10 can of "sauce", 10 of the wee cans of "paste", and a #10 can of diced tomatoes.

If I make it from home grown, I only have to reduce it to about 75% of its original volume to get the right consistency.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
mm, my mom does that. Strains it out with cheesecloth and bottles it. Drinks it as tomato juice. Its perfectly clear, but does taste like tomato juice.
cool :) imma try that next time, some pepper and lime and should be good
i do that when i make yellow daal, remove the "water" thats on top when the daal is done, add some pepper and lime and its one of the best clear soups

cool :) imma try that next time, some pepper and lime and should be good
i do that when i make yellow daal, remove the "water" thats on top when the daal is done, add some pepper and lime and its one of the best clear soups

You're only a couple steps away from a Bloody Mary, may as well go the distance.

We're putting in our very first flower bed by ourselves. Such Adults.

Pics will come once we finish.

The edging tool is pretty dang nifty.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
New Mexican chiles' heat level has a lot to do with how stressed (hot) or unstressed (mild) the plant is during its life span. I wouldn't be surprised if there were others that were the same.
Totes agree.
We're growing these this year, look like they'd be something wicked. "Mad Hatter" Nope, sweet as a pepper comes,great for dipping, almost no seed cavity. About 8 cm/3" across.

@adi - same as you on the tomato processing, only the skins and small piece at stem go to waste. Sometimes out of sheer stubbornness I have thrown the skins in the blender ,liquefied and added back in.
How much peppers depends on how hot you want it but the other main ingredient should be tomatillos.
Lot of Mex places hear, there and south of the border will offer green or red salsa. I think it kind of depends on what's available. That said, I greatly prefer ripe tomatillos over tomatoes for salsa or guac. Sadly, too many places serve red piss that's like V-8, a sprinkle of cilantro and a quirt of red-hot sauce. :barf:

• Love
  • Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer
Totes agree.
We're growing these this year, look like they'd be something wicked. "Mad Hatter" Nope, sweet as a pepper comes,great for dipping, almost no seed cavity. About 8 cm/3" across.
View attachment 9135

@adi - same as you on the tomato processing, only the skins and small piece at stem go to waste. Sometimes out of sheer stubbornness I have thrown the skins in the blender ,liquefied and added back in.

Lot of Mex places hear, there and south of the border will offer green or red salsa. I think it kind of depends on what's available. That said, I greatly prefer ripe tomatillos over tomatoes for salsa or guac.

Most everyplace here has both and then some, I just like the green stuff best, especially with chicken or any lighter, non-red meat. Or just with chips.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie