Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

How much peppers depends on how hot you want it but the other main ingredient should be tomatillos.

pasta sauce is one of those things that is just so much resources and effort for so little sauce.

pasta sauce is one of those things that is just so much resources and effort for so little sauce.
That's why you grow sauce tomatoes like Romas.

Yeah, they cook down, but not as bad as big boys or heirlooms.

I love turning garden tomatoes into sauce (and a lot of my tomatoes get turned into sauce and then canned at the end of the season), it tastes a lot different than when I make my sauce from commercial canned products.

some tomatoes are easier for sauce than others the tomatoes we get here are a bit tough so need to cook longer

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
some tomatoes are easier for sauce than others the tomatoes we get here are a bit tough so need to cook longer
heh, I have a sauce mill that does the job. Just boil the tomatoes, remove the skin, and then stick 'em in the mill, and cook the results down to the consistency you desire.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
heh, I have a sauce mill that does the job. Just boil the tomatoes, remove the skin, and then stick 'em in the mill, and cook the results down to the consistency you desire.

sauce mill is great, but its still (even with romas) a crazy ratio of starting to endning ingredients.

its usually 2 pounds of tomatoes per cup of sauce.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi