Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

This. And friends and family before they are homeless.

Grow a wider variety of stuff - concentrate on stuff that isn't cheap at the store compared to the effort to grow and store.
This is an unfortunate reality that i think i need to learn. There is some stuff I just cant grow where i am, the disease takes it no matter how much work i put in. I'm gonna have to give up on cucumbers i think for example

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
This is an unfortunate reality that i think i need to learn. There is some stuff I just cant grow where i am, the disease takes it no matter how much work i put in. I'm gonna have to give up on cucumbers i think for example
It is a pretty important rule - focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses. I could grow potatoes here, the sandy soil is perfect but taters are cheap. Melons grow great here but the small rodent population(primarily voles) fucks with them every time, I'd have to wrap each melon in a screen sack.
Peppers are great - cut & freeze. Make stuffed peppers. Leeks & Onions - easy as sin to grow, not really that cheap, wash/cut/freeze.

those bitter melons are growing amazing. 2 plants have taken over a 8x 16 foot trellis, with no bug or disease at all. They have those little red bugs all over the fruit, but turns out those are assassin bug nymphs which are beneficial bugs.

Too bad i hate bitter melon :p

those bitter melons are growing amazing. 2 plants have taken over a 8x 16 foot trellis, with no bug or disease at all. They have those little red bugs all over the fruit, but turns out those are assassin bug nymphs which are beneficial bugs.

Too bad i hate bitter melon :p
I recognized them as a best friend was Filipino. Yeah, pretty blech. Something with similar mouth texture(but not bitter at all) and growth pattern is luffa, you know, like the sponges. They are edible while still green and less than a foot long(can get 1/2 meter long!) Fiber forms inside of them when they turn yellow like old cucumbers. I grow them every 4-5 years, give them away as gifts.

@HipHugHer - the byline was "Backyard Mental Health Machine:cool: View attachment 8512

Couple big backyard satellite dishes from the 80s and a trampoline frame...

img_3492-jpg.1155612

Details....

Only a couple things I'd do different with that thing.

1. Figure out a height/entrance/ramp configuration so the ramp would look a little more in proportion to the saucer. And paint it to match.

2. Some sort of small dome/light/antenna thing on top to complete the look.

OK maybe more than a couple...

- Find or make a couple proportional size garden gnomes that look like little green martians to stand sentry at the entrance.

- Use timer or light sensor to trigger a tape loop of such things as Bowie's Space Oddity and the 1938 radio broadcast of War of the Worlds as the chickens are marching up/down the ramp in the mornings and evenings.

Also this

Last edited:
Only a couple things I'd do different with that thing.

1. Figure out a height/entrance/ramp configuration so the ramp would look a little more in proportion to the saucer. And paint it to match.

2. Some sort of small dome/light/antenna thing on top to complete the look.

OK maybe more than a couple...

- Find or make a couple proportional size garden gnomes that look like little green martians to stand sentry at the entrance.

- Use timer or light sensor to trigger a tape loop of such things as Bowie's Space Oddity and the 1938 radio broadcast of War of the Worlds as the chickens are marching up/down the ramp in the mornings and evenings.

Also this

We'd have fun being neighbors. I'm the guy who painted his wheelbarrow to look like a Great White. I could chase your chicken's off my yard with it. Just for fun. Rarh!:p
You're a good chicken pappy Hips.:heart: