Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

you know that shit aint real in most scenarios.

You're either gotta be

1) be just stupid successful at business
2) frugal to the point of miserable from the ages of 20-45... then subsiding after that
3) passive income rich

You're either gotta be

2) frugal to the point of miserable from the ages of 20-45... then subsiding after that
3) passive income rich
Yaup.

You're either gotta be

3) passive income rich
It's as real as you want it to be. If I would have known all the math on this shit when I was twenty, I would have some serious 'fuck you' money today.

If you can live on something like 25% of your income, you can retire in 7 years. 16 years if you live on 50%.

It's as real as you want it to be. If I would have known all the math on this shit when I was twenty, I would have some serious 'fuck you' money today.

If you can live on something like 25% of your income, you can retire in 7 years. 16 years if you live on 50%.

that just cant be true. As your income will cease in 7 years. You must be assuming some crazy investment return

lets assume 100k salary, 60k takehome after taxes.

that just cant be true. As your income will cease in 7 years. You must be assuming some crazy investment return

lets assume 100k salary, 60k takehome after taxes.
Nope. IIRC, 5% return and a ~4% withdraw rate. In your scenario, if you can live on $15 for 7 years, you'll have (inflation adjusted) 15k for the rest of your life. You'll also have the ability to keep working, volunteer, pick up a part time job. Whatever.

Either way, the result is that you'll have 'fuck you' money after 7 years.

Assuming you start with zero savings.

mmm-early-retirement-savings-rate.png

Nope. IIRC, 5% return and a ~4% withdraw rate. In your scenario, if you can live on $15 for 7 years, you'll have (inflation adjusted) 15k for the rest of your life. You'll also have the ability to keep working, volunteer, pick up a part time job. Whatever.

Either way, the result is that you'll have 'fuck you' money after 7 years.
Agreed but maybe not as stated( could just be my brain o_O). If you put X amount into an investment annually at 5%, after 7 years you will no longer need to put any money in and will be able to draw out the same amount you put in annually, forever. Your principal will actually continue to nudge up slowly beyond the 7 year level.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and adi
Agreed but maybe not as stated( could just be my brain o_O). If you put X amount into an investment annually at 5%, after 7 years you will no longer need to put any money in and will be able to draw out the same amount you put in annually, forever. Your principal will actually continue to nudge up slowly beyond the 7 year level.
This guy gets it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and adi
This also assumes you'll never have a large expense (or you have a sufficiently large "other" fund) to cover those.

No new car, no kids college tuition, no major medical bills, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh