Ontopic 2018 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

if theyre hippie about this they either need to accept the cycle of life that owls eat chickens, or be less hippie and house them. Chickens going home to roost in a safe place isnt unnatural, just gotta provide the safe place.

Or a dog. A dog that knows livestock and can behave in a chicken coop might keep the owl away

You're right, and I think they know that in the back of their minds, they just don't like it and are clawing at any other options first.

They're fine with the life cycle thing. Some loss to predators is completely normal and expected. Just this one particular owl found the goldmine and I know he's not going to leave until the easy meals are all gone.

Call local wildlife management, ask if they have pointers, or can possibly trap and rehome it?

Also good call. Don't know that they'd move it just because somebody doesn't want to build a damn coop but they'll at least explain to them in no uncertain terms what they can and can't do.

It's not like these people don't have options, they just don't like the options. They have some disposable cash. Not a huge amount but more than enough to do something about this.

There is a small lean-to type shed there they'd only have to enclose the front to end up with a workable coop.

They're just older and they live a certain way and it like upsets their life philosophy or something to have to do it different, even if it is for the better.

If there's some way to run off the owl, great. If not, they're just gonna have to do it like everyone else does, ya know, because it works.

If the chickens are localized in any way just thrown a bird net over their area and be done with it.

They roost up in a some big trees at night and run around wherever they want during the day. You'd literally need like an Olympic swimming pool or partial football field size net. And put it up every evening and take it down every morning.

it's blanket federal coverage for all hawks and owls, regardless of species. Can't touch them beyond non-intrusive means to scare them away.

Didn't know it was blanket for every species of owl.

It's not like these people don't have options, they just don't like the options. They have some disposable cash. Not a huge amount but more than enough to do something about this.

There is a small lean-to type shed there they'd only have to enclose the front to end up with a workable coop.

They're just older and they live a certain way and it like upsets their life philosophy or something to have to do it different, even if it is for the better.

If there's some way to run off the owl, great. If not, they're just gonna have to do it like everyone else does, ya know, because it works.
Are snakes/foxes/ground critters a concern? If not, build a coop, throw feed and water in there, teach them to roost, and never close the door. They'll handle the rest...

Are snakes/foxes/ground critters a concern? If not, build a coop, throw feed and water in there, teach them to roost, and never close the door. They'll handle the rest...

Not that I'm aware of. If it was something beyond a more normal "lost a few to predators but still have most of them" type deal I think they would've mentioned something.

Coop needs a door though. If a raccoon gets a bunch cornered up in an enclosed space like that they'll kill all they can just to be an asshole. They don't just take one to eat and leave the rest for later.

Not that I'm aware of. If it was something beyond a more normal "lost a few to predators but still have most of them" type deal I think they would've mentioned something.

Coop needs a door though. If a raccoon gets a bunch cornered up in an enclosed space like that they'll kill all they can just to be an asshole. They don't just take one to eat and leave the rest for later.
Hence my mention of ground critters. :p

Hence my mention of ground critters. :p

They probably have some. They can climb trees and may well have nabbed a bird or three. But the chickens are all spread out through multiple trees and different skinny branches and stuff all over the place.

When that same raccoon has them all cornered up in what amounts to a box it can kill them all in an hour or less.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly